Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala...what to do?

captdave

I know this is early but, has anyone done Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala?

I just started looking at Antigua, Guatemala and it looks like a wonderful place to bring the camera.

The wife wants to visit the Hot Springs, I could have fun walking the town...things like that.

I did a 2 week visit to Porto Seguro, Brazil back in 2008. This looks very similar, with no ocean.

CaptDave

There is really not much at the port. but between my first visit in 2009, and my visit last year, the straw market at the port has grown tremendously. The first time, we did the ship transfer to Antigua, which leaves you off at a jade factory. Very interesting, good souvenirs. then we just walked around, stepping in doorways that turned out to be shops. Lots of local crafts. Last year, our roll call organized a group for the walking tour, by Elizabeth Bell. It involved taking the ships transfer and then meeting her in the square. It was very interesting. Be sure to tour the cathedral, and go out the side door to the ruins of the full church, which are behind. The part in use today is really just the narthex, but is still beautiful. EM

http://antiguatours.net/

She gets mixed reviews on TripAdvisor.

Edited by Essiesmom

I just started looking at Antigua, Guatemala and it looks like a wonderful place to bring the camera.

The wife wants to visit the Hot Springs, I could have fun walking the town...things like that.

I did a 2 week visit to Porto Seguro, Brazil back in 2008. This looks very similar, with no ocean.

CaptDave

We took the ship transfer. The bus ride is about an hour. Nice town to visit. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The shops at the port were good. Be sure to bargain.

CaptDave

In April we did what they call The Mayan Phenomenon number GQ21. It was a very good tour. Lunch was also very good. It was going to the ruins of Lximche. Was unsure at first but was well worth it. At the dock they was local people selling everything. Bought dresses for granddaugthers for $10.00 very nice.;)

I've spent a lot of time in Antigua (not on cruise) it's a must see - beautiful old colonial town surrounded by volcanoes.

I love Guatemala and have travelled all over on two month long trips. It's a poor country but rich in natural beauty and culture

There is really not much at the port. but between my first visit in 2009, and my visit last year, the straw market at the port has grown tremendously. The first time, we did the ship transfer to Antigua, which leaves you off at a jade factory. Very interesting, good souvenirs. then we just walked around, stepping in doorways that turned out to be shops. Lots of local crafts. Last year, our roll call organized a group for the walking tour, by Elizabeth Bell. It involved taking the ships transfer and then meeting her in the square. It was very interesting. Be sure to tour the cathedral, and go out the side door to the ruins of the full church, which are behind. The part in use today is really just the narthex, but is still beautiful. EM

http://antiguatours.net/

She gets mixed reviews on TripAdvisor.

We used Elizabeth Bell when we were in Antigua last May. She did not conduct the tour herself, but we had a very good guide. He had a great recommendation for a local restaurant where we had lunch before heading back to the shuttle bus.

My criticisms of Elizabeth Bell:

1. Her guides do not meet you at the drop off point (Jade store/factory). You have to make your way half way across town to the square, and find her desk in another business establishment.

2. She required payment in advance, almost unheard of in the world of private cruise tour excursions. She claimed this was "standard" for Guatemala. I had to really pin her down to make sure that we'd get a refund if the ship missed calling at Puerto Quetzal.

If you want colorful, interesting photos, you can't beat Antigua. We also took the ship's transfer and were delighted by commentary the whole way by a wonderful man…even showing us his daughter's graduation photos from nursing school. Once there, it's a gorgeous old town to walk. Photo ops were everywhere. Looking forward to returning again. Photo below of a street in Antigua.

http://quiltingjan.smugmug.com/Travel/2012/2012-Statendam-Panama-Canal/i-k7hxz7s/0/M/Guatemala.2012-05-06.IMG_5314%20-%20Version%202-M.jpg