Puerto Quetzal to Guatemala City

Noosadaz

I am going to be at Puerto Quetzal port for a day and would like to visit Guatemala City from there. Does anyone know how to do this, will I need a private tour or is there some mode of transportation to get me there from the port?

Would appreciate any help here. Thanx.

I am going to be at Puerto Quetzal port for a day and would like to visit Guatemala City from there. Does anyone know how to do this, will I need a private tour or is there some mode of transportation to get me there from the port?

Would appreciate any help here. Thanx.

When we were planning our port visit at Puerto Quetzal earlier this year, we inquired through a tour operator (Elizabeth Bell tours) about taking in both Antiqua and Guatemala City. What she presented was feasible considering the amount of time our ship was in port, but we thought the cost was not worth it. We ended up taking the ship's shuttle into Antigua.

I would think you would need to make arrangements through a private tour if you want to visit Guatemala City.

BTW, if you have not been to Antigua, it is really a charming colonial town.

We were in Antigua in April. We also inquired about Guatemala City. We were advised that while it could be done within a normal cruise stop time frame, that would be rushing it and not worth the effort.

Antigua is great.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you both for your advice :)

I may well speak to Elizabeth Bell Tours if they are trustworthy and reliable - I have personal reasons for wishing to visit Guatemala City and would appreciate any further advice from members.

Thank you both for your advice :)

I may well speak to Elizabeth Bell Tours if they are trustworthy and reliable - I have personal reasons for wishing to visit Guatemala City and would appreciate any further advice from members.

We used Elizabeth Bell based on the favorable reviews on TripAdvisor. She is an American who moved to Antigua at an early age. She has a very established tour business from what I could see. During our walking tour of Antigua, our tour guide had us stop by her office and I met her. She seemed completely trustworthy and reliable, and appears to be well respected locally.

We prefer doing third party / private excursions rather than ship excursions, and have dealt with many, many private tour operators. Elizabeth Bell is one of the few operators that requires payment in advance. In my email exchanges with her, she said this was "standard" for Guatemala. She did assure me that in the event our ship could not call at Puerto Quetzal, we would get a refund. Fortunately, we did not have to test that process!