Venice Transport

dwhe

Hi all,

I've been to Venice a number of times and a ships transfer to St Marks has always been provided, at a cost.

I've looked everywhere but can't find any info as to whether Marella provide transport and approximately how much.

I usually go via the people mover and Piazzale Roma and prebook the tickets but it would be nice to know how much Marella charge, if provided.

Also do they dock in the main Marittima cruise terminal, we are the only ship in that day, Discovery 2, I'm not sure about how the new rule changes about docking have changed things if at all, it's been a couple of years.

Thanks in anticipation.

Pensioncruiser believe you're cruising soon so just wished you a great cruise

PS if you're on Celebration will you give Maris and Tom our love we're Lynda and Dave And see if you can find out who upset her last week She put something on Facebook but then deleted it Dave messaged her but she was reticent about what it was all about

PS if you're on Celebration will you give Maris and Tom our love we're Lynda and Dave And see if you can find out who upset her last week She put something on Facebook but then deleted it Dave messaged her but she was reticent about what it was all about

Certainty are its a week on Thursday [emoji2] will try to remember to give Maris & Tom your best [emoji483] [emoji106]

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Have been a couple of times on Discovery and loved it so D2 should be the same perhaps you could post a review as we have booked her for next year.

Will do

Also look at the hop on hop off boat available in Venice - €20 for 24 hours.

I was thinking of doing that or walking, it's only a couple of miles to St Marks.

1 day pass on the vaperattos is also 20 euro and includes Murano and burano.Bit of a mission to see both in 1 day though.

The 1 day vaporetto pass is definitely worth it if you're doing more than 2 journeys. Be sure you catch Line 1 from P. Roma to S. Marco as this goes down the Grand Canal. It takes almost 45 minutes but is an excursion in its own right! Fabulous views of the Palaces which you don't get other than from the water and you sail under the Rialto Bridge.

The water bus transfer from the port goes down the Guidecca Canal which is not the same - and in any case you'll have just sailed down it as you come into Venice so will have seen those views.

If you do consider going to the islands, I agree doing both and allowing time in Venice itself is probably to much of an ask time-wise. If you have to choose between the two Burano is far more picturesque and colourful - unless you want to go to Murano for the glass. If you do intend to get the €20 pass, it might be worth studying the vaporetto timetables before you go. There is a route map much like the underground with colour coded lines. In our experience they ran on time and there are electronic display boards at each stop showing the time of the next vaporetto - and crucially which direction it's going!

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mobile/articles/vaporetto_routes.htm

Enjoy! It's a wonderful place to visit.

We were in Venice on the Oriana for 2 days. Got a 24 hour Vap pass from the ATV office next to Piazza Roma. I thought we had paid 26 euro's each? Anyway, we did Murano & Burano, Burano has a Church tower which leans alarmingly. Both picturesque. Also went in to Venice on the evening, felt very safe. Enjoyed the night out. Next day, went to the Lido to the beach, didn,t stay too long as we wanted to get back to the grand canal for one last look. Rialto bridge was covered in tarp's!!!, renovation works I guess. Worn out in the end but well worth it.

We were in Venice on the Oriana for 2 days. Got a 24 hour Vap pass from the ATV office next to Piazza Roma. I thought we had paid 26 euro's each? Anyway, we did Murano & Burano, Burano has a Church tower which leans alarmingly. Both picturesque. Also went in to Venice on the evening, felt very safe. Enjoyed the night out. Next day, went to the Lido to the beach, didn,t stay too long as we wanted to get back to the grand canal for one last look. Rialto bridge was covered in tarp's!!!, renovation works I guess. Worn out in the end but well worth it.

Is it definitely the Rialto Bridge which is covered in tarpaulins? You may be correct but it wasn't in June when we were there although work could have started after then. However, the Accademia Bridge was shrouded on both sides. We stayed in Venice in May and there is very extensive work being carried out on the Accademia - I think in part it's to give disabled access.

One day vaporetto pass still showing as 20 Euro on their site.

Is it definitely the Rialto Bridge which is covered in tarpaulins? You may be correct but it wasn't in June when we were there although work could have started after then. However, the Accademia Bridge was shrouded on both sides. We stayed in Venice in May and there is very extensive work being carried out on the Accademia - I think in part it's to give disabled access.

One day vaporetto pass still showing as 20 Euro on their site.

I was there early this month,Accademia bridge all finished.Modern steel girders below and refurbished old structure above.Unusual blend,but better than falling down,lol.

I was there early this month,Accademia bridge all finished.Modern steel girders below and refurbished old structure above.Unusual blend,but better than falling down,lol.

Oh good - that fab view towards the Santa Maria will be visible again. It's one of the classic postcard views in Venice - but we didn't get a chance to see it walking over with shuttering down both sides. Can you still get to the rail for the view down the canal?

Oh good - that fab view towards the Santa Maria will be visible again. It's one of the classic postcard views in Venice - but we didn't get a chance to see it walking over with shuttering down both sides. Can you still get to the rail for the view down the canal?

I only sailed under it on a vaporetto,but it looks that way.

Sorry both, Maris & Tom finish contract in November not doing the crossing may be on Dream after a two month break.