Prices

Quote from Tui

" From summer 2019 all of our ships are all inclusive as standard. THIS WILL SAVE YOU £199 PER PERSON PER WEEK "

Reality is they have bumped up the prices considerably and have the audacity to try to make people believe they are saving money when in fact they have taken away people's choices. Everyone is now paying for AI whether they want it or not.

They have reduced the numbers of staff in the restaurants and bars and the quantity and quality of food has sadly deteriorated.

Feel so sorry for the waiting staff. They are run off their feet at times and no longer have time for a chat like they used to do.

Which ship did you have a problem with? think the price increase can be put down to many things as the AI used to be free if you booked early but you obviously don't get that option now and in the early years of Thomson cruiser's posted that it should always be AI its really just a matter of choice and everyone has different ideas of the ideal cruise package fortunately we have found ours.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

The marketing guys saying saving you £199 pw is exaggerated. We've got an OV AI 14day middle east cruise for £!000. We know the flights alone are over £300 leaving £700 for the cruise. Take off £400 for the AI and we get a 14day cruise for £300 ??? I don't think so. When Celebrity went AI, their prices went up by £55 pppd (the cost of the AI package) and was difficult to drink that amount to warrant the package so then I would agree with the OP, but in TUI's case, the actual amount extra they charge would be cheaper than a soft drinks package from any other line. As they're trying to appeal to the majority, they won't care about the few who object.

We're not big drinkers at all, and don't drink alcohol in the daytime but it is so nice not to constantly have to dig out our card every time we're thirsty.

Which ship did you have a problem with? think the price increase can be put down to many things as the AI used to be free if you booked early but you obviously don't get that option now and in the early years of Thomson cruiser's posted that it should always be AI its really just a matter of choice and everyone has different ideas of the ideal cruise package fortunately we have found ours.

Disappointing cruise on the Celebration which is actually our long time favourite ship and one we have sailed on many times.

Don't think the AI was ever "free" Pensioncruiser as the price was high when the AI offer was on . The price then dropped to the " correct " price after the AI finished. This was a ploy to get people to book early.

We always booked later when the AI "deal" finished and were pleased with the price we paid and enjoyed many good cruises on several Thomson ships. Just feel annoyed now that we no longer have a choice and will be paying for a drinks package that we won't use.

Glad you are happy with the new cruise package though. If we find an itinerary we really like at a reasonable price I'm sure we will give it another go but sad to say things have definitely gone downhill since we first cruised with Thomson.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed nancyneptune we have only ever cruised Thomson so can't compare with other lines but to be honest they just fit our requirements and we have not noticed any large price increases on how we book which is early and for a particular cabin sad I know but I have a spread sheet way back, yes in well over fifty cruises with them we have had a few problems, one ended up in court!, but are reluctant to move but never say never.

A lot of cruise lines are going this way and I can see why: the big drinkers used to pay for AI and milk it for every last drop, this way it’s spreading the cost. It’s better to do the “free” AI than put the base cost up with nothing extra in return for everyone I reckon: i don’t drink really, and my Dad can’t drink for medical reasons, but we don’t feel aggrieved by it. It’s just the way the world works.

As for staff I will hold my judgement until we have been. However, we had a few years cruising NCL and every year people were complaining on CC about cost cutting and staff levels dropping: I never saw any difference personally. They all work hard and really long hours and do a great job, but then I’m not someone who expects drinks delivered to my sun bed, or someone who thinks it’s ok to leave dirty plates in corridors like a lot of people seem to do these days

Quote from Tui

" From summer 2019 all of our ships are all inclusive as standard. THIS WILL SAVE YOU £199 PER PERSON PER WEEK "

Reality is they have bumped up the prices considerably and have the audacity to try to make people believe they are saving money when in fact they have taken away people's choices. Everyone is now paying for AI whether they want it or not.

They have reduced the numbers of staff in the restaurants and bars and the quantity and quality of food has sadly deteriorated.

Feel so sorry for the waiting staff. They are run off their feet at times and no longer have time for a chat like they used to do.

Sorry to hear you feel the food standards have dropped. We were very frequent and loyal Thomson cruisers but have travelled with other companies after a most disappointing trip on Dream in terms of food quality. We have recently booked on Marella because they are offering an itinerary which suits us well and am hoping it's rather better than our last dining experience. We'll make the most of it whatever though and enjoy all the positives. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the shows which we feel are the best we've seen across several cruise lines.

But I do agree with you Nancy, the only logical conclusion in my mind re the AI being standard is that the cost has to be re-couped from cruise costs one way or another. And those who don't drink at all or only very moderately have to be subsidising those who wish to take full advantage of free drinks. It suits us better to have it as an optional extra - or as a perk for early booking. We'll be very interested after trying other cruise lines to see how the Marella experience compares now.

Sorry to hear you feel the food standards have dropped. We were very frequent and loyal Thomson cruisers but have travelled with other companies after a most disappointing trip on Dream in terms of food quality. We have recently booked on Marella because they are offering an itinerary which suits us well and am hoping it's rather better than our last dining experience. We'll make the most of it whatever though and enjoy all the positives. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the shows which we feel are the best we've seen across several cruise lines.

But I do agree with you Nancy, the only logical conclusion in my mind re the AI being standard is that the cost has to be re-couped from cruise costs one way or another. And those who don't drink at all or only very moderately have to be subsidising those who wish to take full advantage of free drinks. It suits us better to have it as an optional extra - or as a perk for early booking. We'll be very interested after trying other cruise lines to see how the Marella experience compares now.

Hi Kruzseeka. We also had a disappointing experience with the food on the Dream in the Caribbean about four years ago. Everyone was complaining about it. We haven't been on the Dream since then but have been on some of the other Tui ships.

We love the Celebration and our expectations were high having sailed on her so many times in the past. This time the food was often cold and the description of the food on the menu bore little resemblance to what was on the plate at times. Even the choice on captain's night was not up to the usual standard. The service was very slow. To think the waiters used to serve five courses and always with a smile and now serving three courses can take between two to two and a half hours and some of them looked so stressed as they were covering too many tables. Several guests commented on this. We always left without coffee and and on one occasion without dessert as there was long waits between courses and we were going to the show. I really felt so sorry for some of the waiters in the MDR especially the ones we have got to know well over the years

I really hope you have a much better experience. Things can sometimes improve with a change of hotel manager, head chef and crew but ultimately the blame for the reduction in standards lies with Tui Marella as they have made too many cuts over the past few years in spite of the rise in the price of their cruises. Better deals can be found on other lines now

It seems the only people who are happy are the ones who have done one or two cruises and have no idea what Thomson was like in the past. Everyone loves their first cruise.

Enjoy your holiday and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on your return.

We have done many Thomson/Tui cruises along with other lines. We did a 2 week cruise on Discovery in July and the food and service were both very good. Taking everything into account including the weather, entertainment, food and ininerary I have to say that this was the best cruise we have done. We are trying Explorer shortly so are hoping that will be as good. Perhaps Marella are concentrating more on their newer ships?

I have cruised on Celebration - January. Discovery 2 - 3wks April. Dream - May. Discovery 2 - June this year and will be on Dream again next Tuesday

I had no complaints whatsoever about food, staff or entertainment although different on each ship and my first Thomson/Marella cruise was 2005 In my opinion you can't beat them for fabulous cruises especially the port intensive itineries when usually only one sea day a week and the atmosphere on all ships

Our first Thomson cruise was 2003 and we always did two or three cruises a year on the different ships. Things started to change so we tried other lines. The crew on Thomson / Tui ships are great but they are just as friendly on other lines too. It's the reduction in staff that is the problem now. The crew are doing their very best and I can't fault them. The quality of food is another matter. We really used to enjoy our meals in the MDR but had too many disappointing meals on our last cruise. Just my honest opinion.

I can remember going to a three star AI hotel in Lanzarote several years ago. The food was awful. Quantity rather than quality. We ate outside some of the time. There was a family sat opposite us in the hotel buffet restaurant with plates piled high, " digging in " thumbs up and calling it " top notch ". Just a different opinion.

Glad you enjoyed all of your cruises. Hope ours was just a blip and as I said if the price and itinerary are right we would give Tui another try. But we feel that for the prices they are asking now there is much better out there.

We were on Discovery last 2 weeks in August. I have to say there were plenty of staff, yes they were busy but had plenty of time to stand and talk to us and each other.
Totally agree,we debarked her last week.Food not as good as Cunard or Princess,but IMO better than P&O.Quite happy with the cruise,although reading between the lines there have been a few cutbacks on silly little things.No decent toiletries in showers,frayed holey towels that I wouldn't rub a dog down with after a muddy run,no cold towels waiting at gangway after a hot day in port.As I said silly things,but other cruiselines shine with.Having said all that we've booked a 2nd cruise for next year,at £1000 cheaper than all the others without considering free booze and no tips.To me,a nobrainer.

I’ve seen quite a few comments to the effect that other lines offer better value then Marella.

I’m still waiting for someone to show me a 14 night AI Caribbean cruise with dreamliner flights, in February, for less than the £1350pp that we paid.

Couldn't agree more - let me know if someone does :D

Couldn't even work out the cost of some other cruises as you don't know the price of their drinks, tip expectation etc and probably designed for the 'if you have to ask the price you can't afford it'. Pay as you go are probably better for those that cant or wont drink but A1 far better even if only needing a couple daytime drinks wine with meal special coffee and a couple of evening drinks and want to relax rather than worry about the end bill!. Cruise Lines are probably also trying to widen their appeal to fill their ships and trying to shed the image of rich retirees in nightly dj's. The odd night of less than excellent food would also help the waistline (almost 'once on a cruise, you never lose'...)

Totally agree,we debarked her last week.Food not as good as Cunard or Princess,but IMO better than P&O.Quite happy with the cruise,although reading between the lines there have been a few cutbacks on silly little things.No decent toiletries in showers,frayed holey towels that I wouldn't rub a dog down with after a muddy run,no cold towels waiting at gangway after a hot day in port.As I said silly things,but other cruiselines shine with.Having said all that we've booked a 2nd cruise for next year,at £1000 cheaper than all the others without considering free booze and no tips.To me,a nobrainer.

You have just described the D2 as a rust bucket. No decent toiletries, " holey " towels. Food quality not as good.

Each to their own. We would rather pay more for a better experience and not have the " free booze "

There are lots of reasonable late deals out there with other lines. Tips can be removed at reception and you are free to tip as you wish. Marella don't give you this option but although tips are included in the price the majority of passengers DO tip their waiters and cabin staff and anyone else who gives good service.

You have just described the D2 as a rust bucket. No decent toiletries, " holey " towels. Food quality not as good.

Each to their own. We would rather pay more for a better experience and not have the " free booze "

There are lots of reasonable late deals out there with other lines. Tips can be removed at reception and you are free to tip as you wish. Marella don't give you this option but although tips are included in the price the majority of passengers DO tip their waiters and cabin staff and anyone else who gives good service.

All ships are rustbuckets to a certain degree.We've cruised Princess,Cunard and P&O,as I said only 2 of those were better regarding food.Regarding staff attitude and enthusiasm,Marella are in the top 3 equally, with P&O being last IMO.We cruise for itineraries mainly and Marella fits the bill for our next one.Having said that we have some standards and are satisfied with Marella.

Many aspects of cruising are very subjective. What some people experience as good food, others experience as poor quality. What some people view as good value, others view as poor value.

We all pay our money and we all make our choices.

Many aspects of cruising are very subjective. What some people experience as good food, others experience as poor quality. What some people view as good value, others view as poor value.

We all pay our money and we all make our choices.

I think it also depends whether you are a glass half full or a glass half empty person Andrew. We have never had a bad cruise and have been on many different lines, they were not all perfect but never bad.

I think it also depends whether you are a glass half full or a glass half empty person Andrew. We have never had a bad cruise and have been on many different lines, they were not all perfect but never bad.

Likewise. We have enjoyed every cruise we've done. Some aspects have been better on one cruise than another though. That isn't always a difference between different cruise lines either - you can have a poorer experience on one ship on a particular cruise line as compared with one of their other ships. We've had varying experiences on the same ship at different times too.

It's such a personal thing - weather, company, itinerary, sea state, food, service, crew, entertainment, excursions, cost (perceived value for money), ship design - so many things can affect our overall perception of a cruise - even our personal state of mind at a given time in our lives. And it's all very personal - no one else can live your experience.

But that doesn't prevent us from drawing comparisons - much like you may say you prefer one model of car than another - or even the colour of one more than another. It doesn't mean you don't like one - it's just that some elements appeal more than another. I'm sure we could all draw up lists of things we like in order of most preferred to least - but still like the bottom rating one - but just not as much as the others! But again it's all personal choice.

I like to read people's opinions - if I wasn't on the cruise I can't really comment on specifics but in general terms I may not agree with the overall impression based on my experience of a ship if that was fairly recent as we don't know how things can change over time. But I read and take note if I think it's something important to me - but wouldn't dream of challenging someone else's assessment (unless of course it is clearly factually incorrect). Presumably it's a genuinely held point of view which I respect. Sadly sometimes I sense a defensiveness if any comparisons are made against a ship someone holds very dear (for their own personal reasons and priorities) - I think it's important to be able to express views even if critical as the exchange of information from people with all kinds of points of view helps us all to make more informed decisions. We will ignore anything which we can't identify with but perhaps take note of a concern which is flagged up by others. Surely that's one of the important function of a forum such as this. I learn a great deal from the exchange of information and hope everyone feels their opinions are of value.

I’ve seen quite a few comments to the effect that other lines offer better value then Marella.

I’m still waiting for someone to show me a 14 night AI Caribbean cruise with dreamliner flights, in February, for less than the £1350pp that we paid.

I will shortly be going on Cunard's Queen Victoria, 24 nights to the Caribbean, Deluxe inside cabin, for £1,800 each, with 1,300$ of On Board Credit per cabin included