Feeling "Welcome" on the World?

KatWag

Hi All,

Just got back from a one-week RSSC Diamond cruise. We met two Virtuoso Travel Agents onboard who spent four days on the World before joining our ship in Istanbul. They were extremely impressed and we thought we might like to try it.

Then, at breakfast one day, we met a couple from England who mentioned the extremely negative press the ship received in their country. Apparently a number of owners are unhappy that the ship takes passengers on short-term cruises, feeling that it downgrades the level of the ship.

So, that's my question. For those of you who have sailed before, did you feel welcome or did you feel like you were being discriminated against because you were not an owner of a unit?

Thanks!

Kathy

Since almost all of the units have been sold that means most of the rentals are made available by the owners. They obviously need the revenue to offset the $125,000+ annual maintenance fees. I spent a week on board last summer and enjoyed the experience. I met several of the owners and they were friendly and outgoing and were happy to talk about life on board. That said, the ship is so quiet and not all that conducive to a traditional cruise ship experience where you might meet other couples and actually do things together. It really is more like a floating hotel so the issue of any superiority complexes among the owners is really a moot point - you won't see most of them! Also, the staff are quite friendly and accommodating, the spa is nice and of course the apartments are unbelievably gorgeous. We met the captain and took a tour of the bridge - great fun! The key to a positive experience on this ship is to make sure you like the itinerary and will be spending alot of time off ship since the ship itself is not really a happening place at all.

I agree with vacamama to a point. I have sailed three times on The World and will be sailing again in July next year. One of the things I adore about her is the way you have privacy onboard. I luxuriate in the ability to read without distractions. I think that the "lack of busyness" is a real asset to the experience. You can be by the pool and it is semi-private. The staff is unbelieveable and so is the onboard cuisine. You will love her, unless you need cruise directors, onboard bingo and trivia and evening spectacle.

• 3 weeks later...

Someday, I would really enjoy going on this ship. I could sit in a window reading and relaxing with a drink and not bother anyone. Also, it sounds like I would not be contantly disturbed by announcements for art auctions, announcements for where the CD is going to make a fool of himself that night, have crew trying to move the seat I am sitting on so they can set up the evenings photo area, etc.

Something to consider - the public areas of this ship are not very conducive to "lounging about". The pool area is small but of course no one else will be there. The library is nice for sitting and reading but because the apartments are so luxurious and your balcony is so large you'll spend most of your time there.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't think of the pool area as small at all. The pool itself is quite large. You have to keep in mind that at most, you may have 200 other guests/owners onboard. We sailed once with 92 total guests/owners. Ah, what luxury!

It is appropriate to remind people here that you are a travel agent that sells cruises on The World.

What difference does it make that gr8 is a travel agent? The World is the most beautiful "cruise ship" afloat and the pool is quite large....far bigger than Silversea and many times bigger than Seabourn. Who is this UK person that he has such opinions that he is all over the upscale ships on Cruise Critic? We have been on twice, the last being in July and just love the ship. It is not a cruise ship in the accepted sense but a wonderful resort.

• 10 months later...

I did a TV story on the ship when it was first being built. We interviewed representatives from the company and a few of the new owner/residents before she was even launched. What a gorgeous ship!

I had not idea that you could rent a unit for a short-term trip. Can someone tell me how this is done? I would be interested in taking a one or two week trip. I'm also curious as to the average cost per week.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I am in the same boat, I DREAM of owning a residence aboard The World. I wouldn’t settle for less than a studio-apartment; their studios are way to small to live in them for extended periods of time.

• 9 months later...
Someday, I would really enjoy going on this ship. I could sit in a window reading and relaxing with a drink and not bother anyone. Also, it sounds like I would not be contantly disturbed by announcements for art auctions, announcements for where the CD is going to make a fool of himself that night, have crew trying to move the seat I am sitting on so they can set up the evenings photo area, etc.

I would personally get bored with that after a while.

• 1 year later...

Greetings to the World Gang;

I have been thinking about testing The World out to see how the shoe will fit ships experience would fit me long term. It is a sizable investment even for people of means. Probably will take 2 or 3 rentals different times of year varying itineraries to fully decide if the first try seems to feel like a good fit.

Although different it is like joining a country club or social club even if you may or may not have a whole lot of contact with other residents.

Most likely at least for me I would be doing this for the opportunity in my now semi and retirement years to see more of the world / travel more and share it with family and friends and have a home base verses packing and unpacking I am a solo traveler at this point in my life would invite family , friends and business cohorts to join me some times. So a 1 bedroom allows 2 in the bedroom 1 on small sofa bed or pop for the bigger priced unit with 2 bedrooms so total of 4. I picture myself living on board about 8 - 10 months of the year. I would think long term it might get a bit tiring so it might end up about 6 - 8 months on board spread out and dependent on the years itinerary.

I see a couple of things that could be issues or inconveniences:

Eating most of your food in restaurants gets old hat over time

Coordinating flights and on and off the ship and transfers were does it dock

Dealing with ones finances, health care and so on

Big question how does one handle visas with so many ports / countries? I hate filling out those forms

Happy cruising

I

I don't know if there are many World owners lurking or posting on these boards but I can perhaps answer a few questions after having been on the ship a couple of times. On my most recent visit I noticed a marked increase in the "clubbiness" of the residents. There is much more of a neighborhood feel and many of them seem very social. There are frequent parties, dinners, outings, etc. Many of the owners live aboard for a few months at a time but not that many live year round. Many of the owners have multiple residences.

As for dining, each unit has at least a small kitchen and the 2 bedroom units have a full kitchen so you always have the option of eating in. I do seem to recall that the annual maintenance fee includes food so you should check into that further.

You can always have the ship arrange transportation to and from the airport so you would just have to decide where you'd like to join the ship and make the air arrangements.

If you can afford the ship then I would assume you have a lawyer or accountant who can take care of your finances while you are out of the country.

There is a small medical clinic on board but I don't know how it is staffed. If you have any ongoing health issues then you really need to plan you medical care carefully.

Keep in mind, there are limits on the number of guests you can have staying in your unit.

Your plan to take a few trips on board is a good one. That will really give you an idea of what life would be like. Be sure to book one trip with several sea days so you can see how it feels to be confined to the ship for an extended period ... it's very quiet aboard.

Hope this helps.

Okay did my full pre research called the sales office had a fairly open chat also have read the documents rules and regulations. Sort of numbs one to read all does and don't but such is life. That is what makes The World what it is.

Reality is one is looking at yearly fees for life on The world of about $300,000. Then depending on how much time one spends traveling on The World figure out of pocket expenses including air, excursions , above the $33,000.00 a year food pre payment about another$100,000.00. Realty is $400,000.00 a year.

I would be considering a 1 bedroom unit so I could being a solo owner traveler could have 2 other guests stay. Single sofa bed in living room and a queen bed in the bedroom. Unless you go 2 bedroom the kitchen is more of a studio kitchen so simple food preparation mainly.

Still figuring things out looking at the itinerary as to when to give it a test. Will update as things progress or other thoughts I feel are worth sharing.

Thanks for your reply

The $33,000.00 is mandatory on top of the yearly maintenance / condo association fee.

When one starts doing hard math running budget numbers even for some one with real wealth factor backing them it is still a hard to justify expenditure. When you think about what else one can do with that amount of money how many cruises a year can I take or other travel can one do for the same amount and not being locked in. Unless your are way past the $5,000,000.00 net worth that the Association requires it is not throw away on a whim investment / expenditure.

I don't know how someone with a net worth of "only" $5 million can make it happen comfortably and I would be surprised if there are any owners with that low a net worth. And what about future maintenance costs? But I can see that if one has the means then it is an enticing lifestyle. If you think what a private yacht would cost to maintain and staff then The World really is a deal and then the intangibles include the community, the ever-changing view from your balcony, the security and the fabulous service on board. With planning several months of cruise annually there would certainly be savings but how many cruise ships dock for multiple days in the major and interesting ports where you may really want to spend some time? The residents also have input on the itinerary each year - that's a big plus. One negative is that you're really only buying a 50 about a 42 year lease. The original owners bought in for 50 years so at some point it may be harder to sell your unit if you want out. Perhaps an alternative is just to cruise several times a year aboard The World. There will always be apts. to rent and there are no ownership headaches at all. I met several people on my last cruise who were doing just that. They then have the freedom to do more land-based vacations and other types of cruises and aren't locked-in to getting their money's worth on their "investment". I would love to know how you end up deciding.

Edited by seabreezer