Philadelphia to Cape Liberty

Deb1113

I need to get from Philly to Cape Liberty in June. I really don't want to have to take the train (worrying about my luggage with all of the transfers I would have to make). I am leaning towards Dave's shuttle service, unless somebody has another suggestion. I can't believe how easy it is to get to the ports in NYC (Bolt, Megabus) and what a pain it it to get to New Jersey.

Thanks for any suggestions and again, I know how to go by train, but I don't want to.

Thank you - however, that cost would be $100 (and I don't know if that's one way or round trip - plus I would have to take a cab to the location). If it's round trip, then Dave's isn't that much more (actually less considering the cab costs), and if it's $100 one one way - that's outrageous. Bolt and Megabus would be around $22.00 (or less) roundtrip.

Yes, it is expensive! I believe it's round trip. I just sent it on to you because I don't know anything about the others you mentioned and just wanted to give you another option. Have a great cruise! We leave from Bayonne next week.

Thank you - however, that cost would be $100 (and I don't know if that's one way or round trip - plus I would have to take a cab to the location). If it's round trip, then Dave's isn't that much more (actually less considering the cab costs), and if it's $100 one one way - that's outrageous. Bolt and Megabus would be around $22.00 (or less) roundtrip.

I think from the way it reads - giving you the times going and coming back- the price is probably for a round trip.

• 4 weeks later...

After checking things out, I'm going with the bus.

The problem with Dave's was that they would be picking me up on my return until somewhere between noon and 1:00 p.m. I really didn't want to be waiting around over 3 hours (minimum). The bus leaves the pier at 10:00.

Edited by Deb1113

After checking things out, I'm going with the bus.

The problem with Dave's was that they would be picking me up on my return until somewhere between noon and 1:00 p.m. I really didn't want to be waiting around over 3 hours (minimum). The bus leaves the pier at 10:00.

Deb, we are on the cruise before you and found another couple who live nearby on our cruise thru the roll call. We talked, actually met for dinner one night, and agreed to drive up together to split the tolls and parking. Saves each of us about $100 - more $$$ to spend in Bermuda or a spa treatment on board!:)

Just a thought, but I'm sure there are others from the Philly area on your cruise too!

Edited by StartrainDD

Starttrain - thanks, but there doesn't seem to be anyone from Philly on my rollcall. I'm fine with the bus. At any rate, have a great time.

Edited by Deb1113

Deb1113,

My DH and I have taken the bus several times (on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruises) from Wilmington and they stop in Philadephia (actually outside Philly, near the airport). Every time we;ve done this, the driver has been totally confused and we've guided him to the SunPark parking lot that was the pickup spot designated for Philadelphia cruisers that opted for the bus. We live 10 minutes south of Philadelphia and had friends give us a ride to the Wilmington Bus Terminal. Easy to find off I95 and easy to get back on I95 after your ride drops you off. On the way home, just get off in the Philadelphia spot and have your friends pick you up there. Just a thought. And the $110 is round trip :)

We now drive to the terminal - very easy ride up the turnpike. But it would be $171 for a nine day at $19. per day. May be worth the extra $61 plus gas to drive yourself. Take the express luggage checkout on disembarking...you'd be home by noon.

:)

Barb -thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have a car (I live in center city Philly and don't need one) and don't want to bother anyone to drive me to Wilmington.

I'm assuming from your post, that the driver does get there (with some guidance). And hopefully, now knows the way. I am going to call the bus company to express my concern about this though. BTW How crowded does the bus get.

Deb1113,

The bus was never crowded. The bus usually has a restroom on board (sorry if that's TMI :)) and may or may not stop at another in New Jersey to pickup more cruisers - in 8 times using the bus, this only happened twice, it was at a rest stop so some people did get out and get some refreshments. Usually that doesn't happen...bring your own bottle of water/soda. We were on a trip once and a group of six brought out a huge spread....lunchmeat, chips, pickles, dessert and they shared with everyone including the driver.

One good thing about using the bus...if there is a traffic issue on the turnpike...the ship has to wait. This did happen to us once. We had our three daughters and we were going to Bermuda....we got to the ship very late but got right on! No waiting!

This is a concern of mine when we drive ourselves...needless to say we are on the road early whenever we drive to the port!

We will be leaving out of Bayonne on a repo cruise so will only need the bus to get there. Does anyone know if Entainment Tours will do one way only? Also do they take you right to the terminal?

Yes, but you have to pay the roundtrip price.

Barb -thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have a car (I live in center city Philly and don't need one) and don't want to bother anyone to drive me to Wilmington.

I'm assuming from your post, that the driver does get there (with some guidance). And hopefully, now knows the way. I am going to call the bus company to express my concern about this though. BTW How crowded does the bus get.

Hello Deb1113,

Because you live in Center City Phila., why not take Amtrak to Newark Airport (EWR), then a cab to Cape Llberty?? I have cruised out of Cape Liberty several times, live in Voorhees, NJ, however I take the Speedline to Camden, then the Rail from Camden to Trenton, then NJ Transit Train from Trenton to Newark Airport. I usually go the night before, stay at a hotel, then take a cab to Cape Liberty (around $35 to $45). It does not sound like you would want to do it the way I do. But, #1 it is about $18 one way. The downside is it takes a few hours, but I LOVE trains, enjoy the train ride because it is preparing me for my cruise!!! I do not take Amtrak because I have to backtrack, it costs more and the time would be about the same.

Like I said, I have done this several times, and enjoy myself. As a matter of fact, I am leaving next Wed., May 26, staying overnight at a hotel near Newark Airport, then the next day taking the train to NY Penn Station, then car service to Brooklyn (Red Hook). I am cruising with Princess....

Sorry, after responding to your posts I realized that you do not want to take the train. So I am sure you will decide which mode of transportation is best for your needs. I can not bear to take lots of stuff!!! I have one suitcase, and a carry on, Traditional Dining. So I do not have to schlepp lots of luggage while transferring to the trains!!! Not to say you do, but it makes traveling via any mode much easier. Maybe I have been lucky, but this has worked for me for a few years now...

Hope this helps,

Good Luck,

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

mem775416@aol.com

Edited by NewJersey222
adding info

Marie - you're my kind of traveler! What hotel do you use at Newark Airport and could you tell us about it? It sounds like you might be traveling solo, so if you have found a place you are comfortable that would be good information.

Marie - that's just too much schlepping for me. NYC and/or Brooklyn is easy. I just get the Boltbus or Megabus to NY and cab to the port. Getting to Cape Liberty is a PITA. Anyway, I already paid for the bus and it's non-refundable.

Marie - you're my kind of traveler! What hotel do you use at Newark Airport and could you tell us about it? It sounds like you might be traveling solo, so if you have found a place you are comfortable that would be good information.

138east,

I have chatted with you in the past. Here you go:

Near EWR, I have stayed at Howard Johnson, and this time I am staying at what used to be the Holiday Inn and is now the Ramada. I stayed there when it was the Holiday Inn and swore I would not stay there again. Used a black car service to Cape Liberty and felt ripped off!! I have read comments about the Howard Johnson and how the doors are banged up!!! Who cares!!! My #1 concern, if I am traveling alone is SAFETY and cleanliness of the hotel!!! I have always felt safe at the Howard Johnson. They even have small "college" type refrigerators in the rooms. Last year there was even a microwave in the room, which was a nice surprise to me. I am trying the Ramada this time to see how it goes. If you want a 4* hotel, this is not for you. I look at it this way: I am not buying it, just staying overnight. One time while at the Howard Johnson, because of the location of the room, if you left the window open you could hear the planes taking off and landing.. So instead of complaining, no sense in that, I closed the window.....Also, I do not have unlimited funds.

I cruise twice a year. Will be on the Explorer of the Seas this Sept. ;Canada and New England. Did this trip last year and loved it!!

Happy Cruising,

Regards,

NewJersey222

Could you post a review of the Ramada when you get back. Since it changed hands, no one has posted about staying there. IMO for the price, it's a good value.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn with 5 other family members in connecting rooms. It was just fine. What I did do was call the hotel at 11 am to confirm my reservation and to ask that adjoining/connecting rooms be assigned to us for a late arrival at 11 pm. When we arrived, everything was all set for us - rooms were clean. The location at the end of the hall on the first floor was perfect.

You might want to contact Bayonne Taxi - they run a shuttle to the port and do pick ups at the Sheraton next door. Some folks have used this for $15/pp. I'm not sure exactly how it works - I don't think you can make a reservation way ahead, but at that price it's certainly worth asking.

Could you post a review of the Ramada when you get back. Since it changed hands, no one has posted about staying there. IMO for the price, it's a good value.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn with 5 other family members in connecting rooms. It was just fine. What I did do was call the hotel at 11 am to confirm my reservation and to ask that adjoining/connecting rooms be assigned to us for a late arrival at 11 pm. When we arrived, everything was all set for us - rooms were clean. The location at the end of the hall on the first floor was perfect.

You might want to contact Bayonne Taxi - they run a shuttle to the port and do pick ups at the Sheraton next door. Some folks have used this for $15/pp. I'm not sure exactly how it works - I don't think you can make a reservation way ahead, but at that price it's certainly worth asking.

138east,

I will try to post a report on the Ramada near EWR. I must admit I am hesitant to do so because I feel most people are toooooooooooo critical of where they stay, food, etc. And it is a matter of opinion as to where you stay... likes, dislikes....

Thanks for the tip: as a matter of fact, I have used Bayonne Taxi ship to EWR last Sept. $15.00 + tip. I intend to look into them EWR to port in Sept.

Already on Caribbean Princess!!!:D:D

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

Please do a review - there are many folks like you out there who are looking for a less expensive hotel that meets their needs. This hotel was really cheap last year. For 6 of us we paid $142 for 2 rooms including taxes and $15 to park. We had exactly what we wanted - 2 large clean connecting rooms - 4 double beds - 2 bathrooms - 2 TV's - all at the very end of a 1st floor hallway so our infant and toddler wouldn't disturb anyone. The problem with Newark Airport is finding the less expensive hotels that are not total dumps or in a truly awful location.

In reading the Trip Advisor reviews I found that many folks who had bad experiences either did not choose the hotel or did not research the hotel. Many of them ended up there because of interrupted travel plans, which got them off to a bad start.

The things I noticed were:

1) There is a $15 charge for parking

2) The food is pricey, but the canteen was reasonable.

3) The Teddy's pub seemed popular

4) The hotel is truly a transient hotel - people are coming at all hours of the day and night. The staff is busy and may not have all the "charm" that folks from other parts of the country might like to see.

Mixups happen - if I were given a room that was not clean, I would ask for another. In a hotel like this I always call ahead to make sure they know I am coming and to get a room blocked out.

I liked the location in a relatively inaccessible enclave. Road noise and airplane noise was not a factor. We were driving, so the hotel's close proximity to Exit 14 was a huge plus.

Please do a review - there are many folks like you out there who are looking for a less expensive hotel that meets their needs. This hotel was really cheap last year. For 6 of us we paid $142 for 2 rooms including taxes and $15 to park. We had exactly what we wanted - 2 large clean connecting rooms - 4 double beds - 2 bathrooms - 2 TV's - all at the very end of a 1st floor hallway so our infant and toddler wouldn't disturb anyone. The problem with Newark Airport is finding the less expensive hotels that are not total dumps or in a truly awful location.

In reading the Trip Advisor reviews I found that many folks who had bad experiences either did not choose the hotel or did not research the hotel. Many of them ended up there because of interrupted travel plans, which got them off to a bad start.

The things I noticed were:

1) There is a $15 charge for parking

2) The food is pricey, but the canteen was reasonable.

3) The Teddy's pub seemed popular

4) The hotel is truly a transient hotel - people are coming at all hours of the day and night. The staff is busy and may not have all the "charm" that folks from other parts of the country might like to see.

Mixups happen - if I were given a room that was not clean, I would ask for another. In a hotel like this I always call ahead to make sure they know I am coming and to get a room blocked out.

I liked the location in a relatively inaccessible enclave. Road noise and airplane noise was not a factor. We were driving, so the hotel's close proximity to Exit 14 was a huge plus.

138east,

Like I said, I will do my best. And I agree with you. I too, do research in areas I am not familiar. I did this when airlines got too pricey a few years ago to cruise out of FL which is how I ended up cruising out of NY and Cape Liberty. No regrets with those decisions. :D

Will write review in June, probably the end of the month.

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

• 8 years later...
Are you indicating that driving is not an option?

It is only about two (2) hours...

bon voyage

My thoughts exactly. What date? How many people?

Train from Wilmington DE to Newark Penn Station would be your only other reasonable option.

My thoughts exactly. What date? How many people?

Train from Wilmington DE to Newark Penn Station would be your only other reasonable option.

Also, to be clearer, if money is the issue, then using NJ Transit trains vs Amtrak would be even more 'reasonable' even if timing is a bit longer.

Maybe even renting a vehicle might be reasonable, but the OP needs to provide more information and let us know the background and foundation of the question.

bon voyage