EASY way to Baltimore Cruise Port

Edhoff

Notice I said easy, my backseat driver not very good at map reading(no GPS). Driving south on 83 from York. Option #1, 83 to 695 beltway:(:(:(to 95 to port.

Option #2 83 into city, to Fayette to Light to Key Highway to terminal.

Other EASY options highly appreciated, don't need any stress prior to our cruise.

Thanks in advance

This is from one of the cruiseline's website:

Traveling from the north:

• Follow I-95 South through the Ft. McHenry Tunnel, be sure to be in the right lane when going through the tunnel.
  • Take Exit 55, Key Highway.
  • Turn left at the traffic light onto East McComas Street.
  • Follow the signs to the South Locust Point Cruise Terminal's entrance on the right.

If you go on googlemaps, you can print out the directions with turn by turn steps. GPS units are so cheap now, I don't know how I drove long distances without one, even when I know where I am going. Nice to know what time I will arrive. Good luck!

Easiest is probably the beltway to 95. The problem with going through the city, and you show, is that 83 ends and you have to navigate around the harbor on surface streets. Stoplights and every block, one way streets, etc. Its not that its hard, it'll just likely be more stressful. For example, if you end up two lanes over from your turn at the next block.

Do you have a cell phone with data? You can use google maps navigation or download Waze. No need for a stand-alone GPS.

As a local I would use option 2, except during rush hour. I would not try to give someone directions using option 2. My recommendation (with a toll) is what rubytue says, which is to take the Beltway to I-95 and get off right at the cruise terminal.

Notice I said easy, my backseat driver not very good at map reading(no GPS). Driving south on 83 from York. Option #1, 83 to 695 beltway:(:(:(to 95 to port.

Option #2 83 into city, to Fayette to Light to Key Highway to terminal.

Other EASY options highly appreciated, don't need any stress prior to our cruise.

Thanks in advance

We will be cruising in September coming the same route. We will likely take option 1. Having an EZ pass will remove one more potential stress point.

Baltimore isn't too bad, Manhattan and Brooklyn on the other hand :o

Have a great cruise!

As a local I would use option 2, except during rush hour. I would not try to give someone directions using option 2. My recommendation (with a toll) is what rubytue says, which is to take the Beltway to I-95 and get off right at the cruise terminal.

Thanks for the advice, when i get to the 695 junction, will that be 695 East??

Use to visit Allentown every year in August for the weekend.

Anyway there are 2 options to get to I95

If you need north around the top end if the beltway to 95 there will be a toll to pay at the Fort McHenry Tunnel (FYI if you use that way stay in far right lane as exit is about 100 yards after you exit tunnel and no way to get over if you are I wrong lane)

If you go around the lower end of the beltway to 95 there is no toll.

I'd definitely take I-695 to I-95 versus trying to navigate through the city.

According to Google maps, it's 60 miles to go 695E to I-95S through the tunnel (with toll), and 63 miles going west then north.

I'd listen to 1090AM on the radio for traffic information if one or the other route has accidents. (Assuming you're driving down the same day, rush hour will be over by 10:00am.)

Aloha,

John

Thank You very much for the info. Will hit I-95 around 10:30/11:00 on Saturday 8/25. The tip about listening to 1090am should eliminate any major traffic problems. Been on the beltway a few times.

• 2 weeks later...

Option 1 BY FAR.

Even rush hour. Rush hour on surface streets, where you can be stuck in the wrong lane and not be able to turn or have to turn, and you can be really lost.

Also, both ships out of Baltimore port, you don't need to be there really early, so no rush hour. Grandeur boards around 11AM. I think Pride is later.

83 to 695 to 95 S. Be in the right hand tube when you are at the tunnel. Follow the signs. EASY.