St Petersburg, Russia

djo53

We are due to visit St Petersburg with Celebrity this summer. In the light of the current political tensions between the UK and Russia, how do fellow Brits feel about visiting St Petersburg at the moment? Do you feel there is a significant risk?

A risk of what?

Certainly no risk to your life or limb.

And being a US ship, no risk of the cruise line or the US or Russian governments cancelling the port. That was a fear a little while back when the Donald had his own little spat with Vladimir, but it came to nothing.

So the only risk I can think of is a UK or Russian embargo on Brit citizens disembarking in SPB - and I rate that risk lower than the risk of the ship missing the port due to weather, mechanical issues etc.

I don't think it will even affect the likes of P&O, Fred or Marella.

Just a little round of tit-for-tat expulsions of diplomats & other minor ways that governments have for showing their disapproval.

JB :)

I would think that Russia would like to keep the ships coming in, it may depends on the next stage of tit for tat actions and as to whether we prove unconditionally that Russia poisoned the Scripal's. The World cup is scheduled for this summer, if us and other European countries boycott it then who knows what Russia will do next.

We are due to visit St Petersburg with Celebrity this summer. In the light of the current political tensions between the UK and Russia, how do fellow Brits feel about visiting St Petersburg at the moment? Do you feel there is a significant risk?

We're due to visit in early July and will keep an eye on Foreign Office advice which, at the time of writing, is pretty benign. I think things would need to deteriorate significantly for the port to be cancelled and at the moment we're in the 'tit for tat' stage of diplomatic relations.

Government won't do that. It would entail making a decision. We're visiting on Britannia in July looking forward to it immensely.

I am sure it will be fine, no decisions will happen until after England get knocked out of the Cup.;p

• 1 month later...
We're due to visit in early July and will keep an eye on Foreign Office advice which, at the time of writing, is pretty benign. I think things would need to deteriorate significantly for the port to be cancelled and at the moment we're in the 'tit for tat' stage of diplomatic relations.

I'm just back from Iceland on the Marco Polo and booked for the Baltic Cities and St Petersburg next September, there was no indication when we booked that we might not be able to dock. The world is full of potential problems, admittedly those two are more of a problem but Putin knows how much the city depends on the trade from the Cruise ships. As a previous poster mentioned the weather could pose as much of a threat. I don't intend to worry just yet.