Carnival Hub App

Nacwolin

I used it back in march on the elation. It was great for me! Easy to communicate with your shipmates you’re traveling with- just make sure you keep the app running in the background or you won’t get notified when they respond!

I'm assuming you are saying you don't need to connect to ship's wifi. There is no charge to access the ship wifi, but to log-in and use the Hub app features (after downloading the App before boarding the ship), the directions specifically state to "Turn Airplane Mode ON" and "Connect to Carnival Wi-Fi"

I think we are both stating that there is nothing to purchase. The confusion (and I see others doing this too) is equating wifi to internet.

Here are the options:

•  
  • set up nothing and rely on the paper fun times and analog communications;)

• download the free Hub app: cruise countdown before boarding, on-board information (but no chat) after connecting to the ship wifi (intranet, local to ship only)

• download free Hub app and also purchase $5 per folio (for the duration of the cruise) chat feature: all Hub features plus option to send/receive chat messages with others passengers on your ship/sailing that also have the app and chat feature selected; does not give access to anything off the ship like texts, social media, email, etc

• purchase an internet data package (various levels/pricing): this allows limited communication (package dependent) with those off the ship (facebook, messenger, e-mail [at higher levels]); this is separate from the chat feature, and if you want both on board and off-ship communications you would need to purchase both chat and a data package

Great synopsis! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Disconnect your on vacation.

I was thinking the same thing. I can see where I would love to have ship information, maps, etc available, but I also do not want to even THINK about anything but my vacation and I worry that just having my phone in my possession is going to prevent me from going into total relaxation mode. It's just how I am. But gosh, I could see where this would be nice when I wake up early and decide to go get breakfast and let hubby sleep a little longer.....guess I will find out when I am on the ship!

Becky

Who has used the Hub chat ($5 fee) and what did you think?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sailed the Vista on the 28th and this is the 1st I have been on ship that was using the app. Both my daughter and I loved the hub app and both had the chat feature and we found it so helpful and awesome!

BTW - the app would say I couldn't receive messages if I closed it - but that's untrue in my experience- it ran my battery down so I would close it and it would notify if I had a new message - never missed a message!

Also was fun to add friends I made on the ship so we could meet up for drinks or shows or the pool or whatever.

On our first cruise, we didn't use the Hub app at all. Wouldn't have needed - my wife and I are fairly inseparable.

On our second cruise, we used both the Hub app and the Chat function ($5 fee per device). Mainly because we brought my Mom, and there would be times when my wife and I would get separated as we walked Mom to and fro, or one of us went to go take care of something, etc, while the other "entertained" Mom.

On our next 3 cruises we've booked we will probably not use the Chat function, because it is just the two of us.

But I can see this being a very useful tool for families / groups, or couples that aren't joined at the hip.

We used chat with good results on Liberty. I believe the teens on the ship also used it for their meet ups. I really like the non-chat (free) functions of the app. I chose activities and it would send me reminders when they were about to occur.

Our tablemates from dinner said they were glad to have it, but did say that it wasn't instant. In some cases messages took hours to go through - they thought their teenage son was ignoring them lol. There were some that didn't go through at all, but again, they felt it was worth the $5 a piece.

My son and I just used the good old note system. Left a note on where we were in the cabin...and made plans to meet at certain times for other things. If any changes, leave a note.

This was earlier this year on the Breeze.

the hub messaging system was awesome for the 14 and 16 year old. sometimes the messages took a bit- maybe a few minutes but it worked and we were glad to stay in contact if we needed.

the main message each day- meet back in the room at 6pm ready for dinner.

Has anyone successfully used apps like Duo or Skype while on board?

We have 10 passengers on Vista, I like Duo because it can be used across apple and android.

I recently simulated a ship scenario while in a hotel and set my phone to airplane mode, was logged on to hotel wi-fi, and Duo worked great calling states away.

If I understand correctly, we won't be charged to log into ships wi-fi, then we could use Duo? Anyone done this?

Has anyone successfully used apps like Duo or Skype while on board?

We have 10 passengers on Vista, I like Duo because it can be used across apple and android.

I recently simulated a ship scenario while in a hotel and set my phone to airplane mode, was logged on to hotel wi-fi, and Duo worked great calling states away.

If I understand correctly, we won't be charged to log into ships wi-fi, then we could use Duo? Anyone done this?

I'm not familiar with Duo, but I think I've read that Skype does not work on Carnival - at least for calling off-ship.

I suspect your hotel scenario was different than onboard a ship. The hotel wi-fi probably also let you have access to internet data usage. Ship wi-fi gives you access to their intranet (the Hub app info) for free, but you have to pay for internet access with a data package. Internet usage is often reported as very slow, so I would not trust it for calling or video.

We have had some issues with our home internet recently. While our devices could connect to the router (good wi-fi connection), the router could not connect to the provider for an internet connection. Until the provider corrected this on their end, we had to use cellular data on our phones and nothing requiring internet usage worked on our laptops/tv's.

Disconnect your on vacation.

When you have kids and need to keep track of where they are going to be, this app is helpful. We tried the walkie talkies and they just werent very dependable for the connection especially if one of the kids or myself was inside where the other was outside. So its not always a matter of "disconnecting" there are many other needs for this that helps families and friends keep track of where each other is and needs to meet up next.

The hub worked just fine on Miracle last week, however, the chat feature didn't work very well for me. Kept disconnecting, went to guest services and they would uninstall and reinstall, it worked fine there as I messaged my friend from there to check. As soon as I went back to the room it would disconnect. Very frustrating when it didn't work. Finally gave up. My friend had the same issues as well.

The hub worked just fine on Miracle last week, however, the chat feature didn't work very well for me. Kept disconnecting, went to guest services and they would uninstall and reinstall, it worked fine there as I messaged my friend from there to check. As soon as I went back to the room it would disconnect. Very frustrating when it didn't work. Finally gave up. My friend had the same issues as well.

Unfortunately wifi works via RF, which is easily blocked by metal structures, like the walls/hull of a cruise ship.

I would bet the Hub info wasn't working well in your cabin, but because it is mostly static data you might not have noticed, and it would updated as you left the cabin and went to another deck, perhaps.

I am sure Carnival (and other cruise lines) try to put as many wifi repeaters throughout the hallways, but there are either going to be deadspots or you are going to have to have a wifi repeater in each room.

We are on the Breeze end of October and are traveling with another couple. Can anyone tell me if the Hub app is available on the Breeze or where I can find out? I looked all over the website with no success. Would like to have the chat option if possible. We used Disney's free app like the Hub and it was great.

We are on the Breeze end of October and are traveling with another couple. Can anyone tell me if the Hub app is available on the Breeze or where I can find out? I looked all over the website with no success. Would like to have the chat option if possible. We used Disney's free app like the Hub and it was great.

All ships have the Hub. You can download the app now, just go into apps and put in Carnival Hub app and it comes up. When you get on the ship it directs you on how to access the site and the many things it offers. If you want to pay extra for the ability to chat, it is $5 per phone and it will direct you on how to do that.

Off the Horizon a week ago.

Anyway something that is new to ME at least - did you know you can make YourTime Dining reservations using the Carnival App? It works without paying for WiFi - just make sure you're on Airplane mode and you're signed onto the Ship's Wifi. You can do EVERYTHING from your state room or anywhere else on the ship. When you table is ready you will get a notification and it even tells and shows you what table! You just show the greeter at the Dining Room your texted confirmation and they walk you to your table! LOVED this new feature!

There's a section under Dining & Entertainment. When you choose it both names in the Stateroom came up. There didn't seem to be a choice to add another stateroom #, so not sure if you can do that. If the other guest has the phone app active, they will receive a message that they have been added to a YTD reservation. All members of the reservation that have the app active will get notified that they are waiting a table reservation and will get notified when a table is assigned!

TBH no one told us about this. At the start of the cruise we did it the normal way and went to the Ocean Plaza area to get a table assignment and/or buzzer. It was only during the middle of the cruise when we had a buzzer AND the phone app active did I realize that I was getting notifications on my phone that we were waiting a table assignment. And actually we received the table assignment text BEFORE the buzzer actually went off (It actually never did)! The night after that I went into the app to see if there's that evening dinner menu in there(There isn't) and that's when I found the ability to make your own table reservation via the app! Why they didn't advertise this is beyond me!