Controy liquor in mexico port

hula dancer

Used to buy bottles of inexpensive bottles of Controy liquor in the Ports. It is identical in taste to the very, very expensive Contreau. I heard the company was purchased a year or so ago by a company in Texas and wonder if it is still available in Mexico.

Has anyone purchased it recently? We travel with carry-ons so would have to bring a bag we can check on the airline if we can still buy this. Fabulous in a margarita !!!

Used to buy bottles of inexpensive bottles of Controy liquor in the Ports. It is identical in taste to the very, very expensive Contreau. I heard the company was purchased a year or so ago by a company in Texas and wonder if it is still available in Mexico.

Has anyone purchased it recently? We travel with carry-ons so would have to bring a bag we can check on the airline if we can still buy this. Fabulous in a margarita !!!

When we came home from Puerto Vallarta in mid-March, Controy was still sold everywhere. In PV you can find Controy at any liquor store and also places like Walmart and Sams (across the street from the port). The price varies but is generally about $7 (US) a bottle. Although I am a big fan of Controy (always use it in my Margaritas) I would not say its "identical" in taste to Cointreau. Controy has its own unique Orange Liquor flavor which is somewhat sweeter than Cointreau. When I make Margaritas with Cointreau I add a little Agave Nectar to get the overall sweetness similar to what I get when making the same drink with Controy.

I had not heard that the company was purchased by a US firm...but if that is true we would hope they begin to import it into the USA.

Hank