Prices of items

mmk1997

First time visiting Mexico on our trip on the Splendor. We are Canadian and are looking at purchasing some Peso's (even after reading a lot of the forums about using USD). What we are trying to figure out is how much is everything in Peso's so we can figure out how many to get?

We are a family of 5 (46, 46, 18, 16, 14) heading out in mid Aug and will be visiting Cabo, Maz, and PV. Yes I understand that it is a wide open question and that prices have ranges. We are just simply looking for some typical prices - drinks (how much for a beer or bucket of beers, or margaritas, sodas), food - price of a typical burger or taco or anything like that, souvenirs (trinkets, clothing, blankets, etc), massages on the beach, etc.

Any help would be most helpful.

Perhaps another person can provide an answer to specific pricing in Pesos, but more generally, one has to remember that so many of the places selling to the tourist will apply the tourist pricing structure - even if there is a label showing a specific price. You will only know it if you are the "negotiator" type and ask for "Best Price?". Places like supermarkets, restaurants and 711 stores are not negotiable. Price shown is price to pay. One also has to remember that some places may take the USD, but it is at their own exchange rate - may be calculated on the cash register, or may be calculated in their head.

I've also been to places where they actually only have a USD price and asking for a Peso price means they have to "figure a number". Then it means that you need to know your conversion rate in your head to see if the new price is loaded or reasonable.

At the end of the day you should consider for yourself - "(once converted into my own currency) would I pay that price for that item?" Might then mean a negotiation or a non-purchase comes about.

How much to convert to Pesos?? I typically consider the following: I might buy X. Y, Z, and would be happy to pay USD xxx back home, so I just convert that into Pesos when getting forex. If I don't spend it on this trip, then I will spend the Pesos on my next cruise.

I've also been to places where they actually only have a USD price and asking for a Peso price means they have to "figure a number".

These would likely also be the most expensive locations. If you are willing to venture off a little bit, you'll find the prices drop dramatically. I would do this in PV and Cabo and go to some local places or those serving Mexican tourists, but I would be more slightly more nervous in Mazatlan based on what I have read.

• 4 weeks later...
First time visiting Mexico on our trip on the Splendor. We are Canadian and are looking at purchasing some Peso's (even after reading a lot of the forums about using USD). What we are trying to figure out is how much is everything in Peso's so we can figure out how many to get?

We are a family of 5 (46, 46, 18, 16, 14) heading out in mid Aug and will be visiting Cabo, Maz, and PV. Yes I understand that it is a wide open question and that prices have ranges. We are just simply looking for some typical prices - drinks (how much for a beer or bucket of beers, or margaritas, sodas), food - price of a typical burger or taco or anything like that, souvenirs (trinkets, clothing, blankets, etc), massages on the beach, etc.

Any help would be most helpful.

Hi, MMK! I can't comment on prices in Maz or Cabo, but our family typically travels to PV every summer and stays on Los Muertos Beach. Beach restaurants will be a little more expensive than walking a couple blocks inland- so keep that in mind. That being said, we find prices incredibly reasonable. We always pay in pesos. Beer will run 20-40 pesos, on the cheaper side when you purchase a bucket. Margaritas will run 70-120 pesos depending on size 120 would be rather large), 2x1 if you find a happy hour. Some places we typically enjoy on the beach are Langostino's and La Caretta. They have loungers, great for spending several hours. Good food. Great service. These are middle of the road places, as far as prices go. There are certainly 'nicer' spots, like La Palapa or El Dorado, but know that prices will definitely rise. You could also find some cheaper options. If you head away from the beach just up from the pier, there is a great little taco stand with tables called El Cunado. Great tacos, quesadillas. I think tacos are 12-15 pesos or so, and quesadillas are 17-20 pesos. Super reasonable. Great toppings. Nice family. If you're looking for any specific restaurant recommendations or things near Los Muertos, just let me know!

You forgot to add in taxi costs. In PV it's about $5-10 USA or 100-200 pesos (depending on bargaining) to get from the pier to the malecon(boardwalk along the oceanfront) where you'd walk to Los Muertos Beach described above.

Prices in pesos are shown with the same dollar sign that we use for USA $$s so can be confusing!

Drinks are very inexpensive! We have paid 2 for 1 during the day at about 100 pesos.

IF we buy an expensive souvenir like local craft items we use a credit card that does not have foreign conversion fees.