"New Casual Dining Experience"

Portolan

Why would anyone staying in a huge Regent Suite on the Explorer go to the Observation Lounge to grab a drink in a robe when the bar is fully stocked with anything you need. Heck, you can have your own party in your suite and balcony. I hardly believe that anyone staying in that top suite needs to adorn a robe and go to a bar. Full bar butler at your beckon who would do that.? I don’t believe it.

Why would anyone staying in a huge Regent Suite on the Explorer go to the Observation Lounge to grab a drink in a robe when the bar is fully stocked with anything you need. Heck, you can have your own party in your suite and balcony. I hardly believe that anyone staying in that top suite needs to adorn a robe and go to a bar. Full bar butler at your beckon who would do that.? I don’t believe it.

Money does not equal proper etiquette or classy actions SOMETIMES.

I have no idea what is true or not but if you believe someone on regent would do this....it could then be anyone.

Money does not equal proper etiquette or classy actions SOMETIMES.

I have no idea what is true or not but if you believe someone on regent would do this....it could then be anyone.

No reason to lie. It was the bartender that told us what suite he was in. Obviously we could not just look at a person and know what suite they are in.

Are you suggesting I return to the ship and bathe and then emerge to have a casual meal? What makes you think I’d stink otherwise? If you found yourself on the same ship as me, I’m sure we wouldn’t need to cross paths nor share a meal.

Living in Hawaii means the days are often warm, and the idea of getting out of our sweaty clothes, taking a quick, cool shower and putting on a fresh outfit before enjoying an informal dinner is just our idea of a pleasant way to unwind, that's all.

Living in Hawaii means the days are often warm, and the idea of getting out of our sweaty clothes, taking a quick, cool shower and putting on a fresh outfit before enjoying an informal dinner is just our idea of a pleasant way to unwind, that's all.

Though not living in Hawaii, I truly concur.

Shower. Fresh outfit. Something appropos.

I don’t know of anyone that goes out and gets sweaty and doesn’t take at least a quick shower and change into fresh clothes. One would think that whether you are putting on slacks and a top or shorts and a t-shirt, it would take the same amount of time and effort.

Having lived in Kona for a couple of years and dined at the Four Season people were nicely dressed in Aloha shirts and trust me the food was five star. In Maui you have the Ritz Carlton and other high end hotels and jeans or in fact dress shorts were common. This dress code thing is getting tiresome.

Mahalo

Btw: didn’t I say that the Dress Code would have to start changing with the new generations? And everyone was like “No, you so crazy! Baby boomers rule! GenXers and Millennials drool!” And now this news comes out! Ha-ha!!! Who’s sitting pretty now?? This is just the tip of the iceberg! Just the tip of the iceberg! No pun intended. :D

Having lived in Kona for a couple of years and dined at the Four Season people were nicely dressed in Aloha shirts and trust me the food was five star. In Maui you have the Ritz Carlton and other high end hotels and jeans or in fact dress shorts were common. This dress code thing is getting tiresome.

If you will read our comment again, notice it is just about the fact we enjoy freshening up before dinner and not about what anyone should wear. If you are tired of "the dress code thing", don't bring it up.

Btw: didn’t I say that the Dress Code would have to start changing with the new generations? And everyone was like “No, you so crazy! Baby boomers rule! GenXers and Millennials drool!” And now this news comes out! Ha-ha!!! Who’s sitting pretty now?? This is just the tip of the iceberg! Just the tip of the iceberg! No pun intended. :D

Not the tip of the iceberg - just freeing up space in the dining venues and giving a place for passengers that come back late from excursions to go as they are not permitted in restaurants (except Setti Mari for late excursions).

You are not crazy but you are are on the very young end of the scale for Regent passengers. In 14 1/2 years of sailing on Regent, they have tweaked the Dress Code once (and then only did away with forced Formal nights and semi formal nights).

If you are still sailing on Regent in a few years, you may see another change but I wouldn’t hold my breath

Once you have sailed on Regent, I think that you will “get it”. The vast majority of Regent (Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea) passengers are over 50 with many/most over 65 (except on Alaska cruises and cruises in summer when the ships have children which some of us avoid at all costs).

Think that you may be celebrating a few years prematurely.

P.S. Crystal and Seabourn did not veer away from a formal dress code until years after Regent did and Silversea is still very formal.

Edited by Travelcat2

You know what, we all spend large amounts of money on these cruises and if the dining arrangements change that suits some passengers and frees up dining space in the main dining rooms then surely everyone is in a win win situation.

I do still think it would be beneficial to have a separate lounge area for guests that wish to take their drinks inside without upsetting the fashion police.

Keep it real and accept that some folks want to keep it casual without having to be contained in their rooms.

Pam.

P.S. Crystal and Seabourn did not veer away from a formal dress code until years after Regent did and Silversea is still very formal.

I don't feel that this is true. Perhaps you haven't sailed on SS in quite some time. Do you remember, many years ago, who was leading the charge to have the dress code changed?The term "country club casual" kept coming up which had and still does not have any relevance to many country clubs and may be a regional thing. Management calls the shots and they are apparently responding to what their customers want. I seem to recall you pointing out that Del Rio was big on the fact that he wasn't putting tie racks in his new builds. Try to just enjoy your cruise and not agitate about what other people are doing or wearing and you might have more fun and less worry.

I am very happy that the pool grill will be opened in the evenings for a casual dinner, and look forward to our November cruise where we will take advantage of this. The main reason for this is while we really enjoy CR for dinner there will also be that evening when we do not want anything other than some kind of light meal without the fuss that makes the CR very nice.

Our last Regent cruise was in a G1 on Explorer and due to the table height in the sitting area (I have commented on this before) it was not feasible to have a nice en suite dinner, casual or multi course. The table is just too low. So those couple of nights when we just wanted something simple we limited our choices to something that could be eaten from the coffee table. The pool Grill would have been a welcomed alternative. This is not about what we were wearing, since most evenings we had already visited a lounge for drinks (wearing appropriate clothes).

No reason to lie. It was the bartender that told us what suite he was in. Obviously we could not just look at a person and know what suite they are in.

Now, if there was a photo each night:D. Maybe then.

For a Regent staff member to share this with a passanger seems rather odd. Don't you think?

Now, if there was a photo each night:D. Maybe then.

For a Regent staff member to share this with a passanger seems rather odd. Don't you think?

In terms of photos, I hope posters will remember what they posted on this thread when blogs from the ships come out in the next few months. The funniest thing that happened to us as the result of photos is that a CC poster recognized her husband in one of our photos in Manaus. My DH was taking a photo of the opera house and a man in a hat was walking by and ended up in the photo. The that is what drew her attention to the photo.

Sharing information with passengers does not seem odd to us - at least not in our experience.

I think the photo situation is more about some people saying they are going to take one on their next cruise and then when the tide turns it starts to be a blame game of who did what in the past.

We should all be respectful of others personal space and that is it.

Pam.

I don't feel that this is true. Perhaps you haven't sailed on SS in quite some time. .

Since I have been told that what I posted is not true, here is the current Silversea Dress code:

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual

all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and

Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to

dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

P.S. Notice, shorts and jeans are not even mentioned. Those of us who have sailed on Silversea know that this would be unacceptable.

This is true for Silversea and way too formal for us. On Seabourn and Crystal dress jeans dark are permitted. Nobody is policing and we have seen other women dressed in white jeans on Regent with high heels and a fancy top and who the heck cares if they are white jeans. Face it, nobody will win this discussion. We are not the fashionista police and if Regent is softening this policy to a reasonable standard we don’t care. We are there to have fun and not survey the noncompliance. We are all on vacation and it certainly will not turn into a Carnival Cruise.

I think most people have better things to do on their expensive cruise than worry about style or fabric.

Have spent time today looking at photos posted on different threads on different cruise lines. As the result of my research, IMO, it is preposterous to think that you can be on a pool deck, in a dining venue or any public spaces on the ship and not accidentally be included in a photo. Passengers have been included in photos for as long as Cruise Critic has existed. If you believe that you have any degree of privacy when in public areas of the ship, you are sadly mistaken.

In any event, I will take photos of the pool deck and will try not to show faces but if I do, so be it.

It is one thing to be inadvertently included in the background of someone's vacation photo, but it is quite another to be the subject of the photograph. Taking pictures of unsuspecting passengers enjoying an evening meal on the pool deck (and then posting them on a public forum) so that you can decipher if they are adhering to the dress code you have envisioned is just plain wrong. The fact that you don't understand that point boggles the mind.

It is one thing to be inadvertently included in the background of someone's vacation photo, but it is quite another to be the subject of the photograph. Taking pictures of unsuspecting passengers enjoying an evening meal on the pool deck (and then posting them on a public forum) so that you can decipher if they are adhering to the dress code you have envisioned is just plain wrong. The fact that you don't understand that point boggles the mind.

Obviously our views differ dramatically. When I post individual photos, it will be of what the passenger is wearing - not of their face (unless they give me permission to photograph them). My intent is not to take photos of individuals but rather the group as a whole and perhaps shots from the back of what they are wearing. This will answer the question that newbies (and some seasoned Regent passengers) want to know. As has been said many times, you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

As I have stated previously, I suggest that you really look at some of the photos that are posted from the ship. Anyone that thinks that they can expect privacy on a cruise ship may want to rethink their belief.

Well, this thread has turned into a typical dress code thread. At the first mention of "dress code," the usual suspects rush to the barricades and begin shouting insults at each other.

In a FAQ, as well as by Jason O'Keefe's posts, Regent has answered the question of appropriate attire in the evening on the pool deck. The FAQ says in pertinent part:

"Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM, with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill or Pool Bar and on the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

"Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner, once again with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill and on the final evening of the cruise. Ties are not required." (Emphasis added)

Clearly, daytime casual wear, including swim wear since the pool is open, is appropriate on the pool deck after 6 pm. The only opinion that counts here is Regent's and they have spoken.

Well, this thread has turned into a typical dress code thread. At the first mention of "dress code," the usual suspects rush to the barricades and begin shouting insults at each other.

In a FAQ, as well as by Jason O'Keefe's posts, Regent has answered the question of appropriate attire in the evening on the pool deck. The FAQ says in pertinent part:

"Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM, with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill or Pool Bar and on the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

"Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner, once again with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill and on the final evening of the cruise. Ties are not required." (Emphasis added)

Clearly, daytime casual wear, including swim wear since the pool is open, is appropriate on the pool deck after 6 pm. The only opinion that counts here is Regent's and they have spoken.

Could not agree with you more! Just one comment........ shorts were not considered acceptable on the last night on one of our recent cruises. After all, no matter what time your flight is, putting your evening wear in a suitcase after dinner takes about 5 minutes. We have not seen shorts or t-shirts at dinner on the last night but we make a point to book a specialty restaurant on the last night. We feel that the menu, early crowds in CR are a bit much on the last night.

I have not argued about any type of dress being worn on the pool deck after 6:00 p.m. as I respect Regent's guidelines. My issue has been making sure that the inside areas of the ship (theater and lounges) keep their dress code and apparently Regent wants the same thing. So, wear whatever the heck you want to wear on the pool deck but either return to your suite and change clothes or stay in your suite if you wish to stay in shorts, swimwear, t-shirts, jeans, etc.

Edited by Travelcat2