PV Bus Change Warning

Hlitner

For many years we have posted about how to use the local buses in Puerto Vallarta which only cost 7.5 Pesos per ride. PV is now in the process of replacing all their old buses with nice new models, but alas, there is a potential issue for cruisers. These buses use a coin box and the drivers no longer make change. The coin boxes only accept Peso coins (not US Dollars or coins). One poster says there is also a "special fare box" with a slot that will accept anything, but it gives no change and does not dispense a ticket (which makes me wonder if this is even an option). So stay tuned until we get some further updates :). But for now, its a good idea to have some Pesos when in Mexico :).

The other interesting news about these buses is that run on clean Natural Gas and actually have A/C. Or course this is Mexico and many drivers do not like A/C so don't bother to turn it on....but why "sweat" the small stuff :).

Hank

Thanks for the heads-up! We like using the PV buses and always carry peso bills in Mexico. I guess we will have to figure out how to get coins before getting to PV!

(My DH is going to be very sad that the buses won't have the "character" we have come to expect from them, though!)

I would like to use the bus but cant see dragging all 11 of us to get to the aquaadventure water park, so can anyone tell me the appox fare I know its about a 30 min ride and it crosses fare zones I have looked at private drivers but they say they cant just drop us off something about regs

Thanks for the heads-up! We like using the PV buses and always carry peso bills in Mexico. I guess we will have to figure out how to get coins before getting to PV!

(My DH is going to be very sad that the buses won't have the "character" we have come to expect from them, though!)

The first winter we lived in PV, some friends took us on a local bus our first day in town. There was a hole in the bus floor next to my seat and I could see the street through that hole :). Times have certainly changed. While I agree with you about the "character" of the old buses, the bigger issue had to do with the awful pollution/fumes that came out of those diesel engines. I do a lot of walking (many miles every morning) when living in PV and on foggy mornings (with heavy air) I would not be a happy camper breathing in all those bus fumes. So the change to Natural Gas is appreciated. And I guess we could cut a few holes in the floor of new buses to make them feel normal ).

Hank

When introducing the much needed new buses also another way of payment would start on those buses. A kind of prepay with special card which should be preloaded with money etc. A system that works in many cities in many countries nowadays.

For those buses the fare would go up to 10 Pesos per ride, while transfering for a 2nd bus after that would be 50% of the fare and a possible rd transfer would be free. 10 Pesos doesnot sound much but for the mexican people needing those rides to go to from work/school etc. it is expensive.

Well you guessed it........that didnot realy work. Too few points to put money on the card, no cash on board so no change etc.

Just today I read this article that problems are even worse. It seems by now the old in bad shape buses are still racing around town and of course no airco.

http://www.banderasnews.com/1808/nb-vallarta-new-bus-system-slowdown.htm

I would like to use the bus but cant see dragging all 11 of us to get to the aquaadventure water park, so can anyone tell me the appox fare I know its about a 30 min ride and it crosses fare zones I have looked at private drivers but they say they cant just drop us off something about regs

You need to take the buses leaving near Walmart near the cruiseterminal. Not the regular citybuses.

If assume you want to go to the aquapark near Nuevo Vallarta, so take the bus Nuevo Vallarta at the window. At Walmart there always is a guy with a clipboard, he will put you in the right bus. Check also where the returnstop is, possibly at the other side of the highway.

I donot know the price, but I assume it will be around 15 Pesos per person per ride.

• 4 weeks later...
Hank - do you know if it's possible to catch the bus to boca de tomatlan from the cruise terminal area, or if we would need to get into town first and transfer? Sorry for being slightly off topic but you seem to know your way around.

Thanks!

You will have to transfer in the Old Town (Romantic Zone). There are no free transfers. Unless they have recently increased fares you would pay 7.5 Pesos for the bus from near the port and another 8.5 Pesos for the bus from the Old Town area to Boca. You also will have to walk a few blocks between the two bus stops (when you transfer). A more expensive option (but less costly then a taxi) would be to use Uber which would probably cost about 300 - 350 Pesos (one way) from near the port to Boca. Not sure what a taxi would want (everything is negotiable) but suspect you could get them down to nearly the same price as Uber if you drive a hard bargain.

Now you have me curious why you want to go to Boca :). Our main reason for going to that tiny village was to get the boat over to the Ocean Grill. That restaurant has gone through some interesting recent history (it has been closed for a long time) but we have heard it is again open. I have stopped recommending that restaurant until we (or some friends we trust) actually go there to see if the quality is similar to in years past.

Hank

When introducing the much needed new buses also another way of payment would start on those buses. A kind of prepay with special card which should be preloaded with money etc. A system that works in many cities in many countries nowadays.

For those buses the fare would go up to 10 Pesos per ride, while transfering for a 2nd bus after that would be 50% of the fare and a possible rd transfer would be free. 10 Pesos doesnot sound much but for the mexican people needing those rides to go to from work/school etc. it is expensive.

Well you guessed it........that didnot realy work. Too few points to put money on the card, no cash on board so no change etc.

Just today I read this article that problems are even worse. It seems by now the old in bad shape buses are still racing around town and of course no airco.

http://www.banderasnews.com/1808/nb-vallarta-new-bus-system-slowdown.htm

The good news is this week 60 more new buses arrived in Vallarta. Some of the new buses that arrived earlier donot have (or donot use) airco.

The good news is this week 60 more new buses arrived in Vallarta. Some of the new buses that arrived earlier donot have (or donot use) airco.

Ole Ine :). We also saw the local news article about the new buses, but were not happy to read about the issue with A/C. There has also been some posted issues about whether or not tourists would be able to pay bus fares with US Dollars. If you hear anything definitive about that issue please post here so that cruisers can act accordingly. Personally we look forward to using the new buses :). No more holes in the floor, bad brakes, etc :)

Hank