Table “sharing” in Compass Rose

ArtsyCraftsy

Is it a fleet-wide policy not to allow table sharing among singles and couples in Compass Rose?

Background: One of the practices I enjoyed about “anytime dining” on Holland America was that once I indicated I was open to sharing a table, I was randomly seated with other guests in combinations of other singles and couples at 4-, 6-, or 8-tops. I enjoyed sharing meals with and getting to know other guests and since the process was basically random, each night’s table mates were different.

Three times in Compass Rose on my current cruise, I have indicated my willingness to share a table. Three times I have been seated at a table for one. When I specifically asked about sharing, I was told (this is a quote) “We don’t do that here.”

However, I witnessed 3 instances just last night in Compass Rose where couples were seated randomly at 4-tops. One couple arrived, then a few minutes later, another couple was directed to the table, and subsequent comments/conversation indicated that this wasn’t a planned foursome — lots of intros, typical “getting to know you” comments. It was clear that table sharing among couples was allowed and practiced as a normal event.

I know they allow sharing in Prime 7 and Chartreuse: the online reservation form has willingness to share as a “Y/N” question, and my first Chartreuse dinner was a shared table experience (another single and a couple).

If I wanted a table for one, I would just eat in my cabin. To me, meals are a great way to meet folks and potentially make new friends. That only works if the dining room allows shared tables for all guests, not just couples.

So — is this specific to this cruise? The Mariner? Or is it pervasive fleet wide? (And yes, I writing this up in the “Mid-Cruise Comments” form.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't ever traveled alone on Regent, but we have certainly shared tables with couples. I have never shared a table with someone traveling solo on Regent, other than someone we met and invited to dine with us, but I would be fine with sharing. That seems like an odd policy.

In our experience it seems as though "Social & Solo Travelers" (Regent's name for it) tend to gather for cocktails in the lounge before dinner & often continue on to dinner together. It's usually posted in the daily program. When we were recently on the Navigator they met in Stars Lounge. Everyone didn't attend every night but there were many 'regulars' who seemed to enjoy each others' company & perhaps went on some excursions together.

They definitely allow table sharing on Regent. The information you are receiving is 100% incorrect. Rather than waiting for the mid-cruise comment card, I would speak with the F&B Director. We have shared tables tables with singles, couples and larger groups many times. Sorry that you are not being given correct information and that it will be straightened out ASAP!

In our experience it seems as though "Social & Solo Travelers" (Regent's name for it) tend to gather for cocktails in the lounge before dinner & often continue on to dinner together. It's usually posted in the daily program. When we were recently on the Navigator they met in Stars Lounge. Everyone didn't attend every night but there were many 'regulars' who seemed to enjoy each others' company & perhaps went on some excursions together.

Interesting. The write-up in the daily program makes it sound like it’s a meet-up for cocktails and planning the evening’s entertainment, which I took to mean more bars/lounges and shows (not my thing). I’d really just like to show up for dinner at 6:30 and get seated with some other people without doing the “cocktails” thing first or joining a group.

But I WILL check it out tonight. They meet in the Mariner Lounge. It might work. Thanks for mentioning it.

They definitely allow table sharing on Regent. The information you are receiving is 100% incorrect. Rather than waiting for the mid-cruise comment card, I would speak with the F&B Director. We have shared tables tables with singles, couples and larger groups many times. Sorry that you are not being given correct information and that it will be straightened out ASAP!

Thanks— I’ll consider that. I don’t have the clout/status you have (my first Regent cruise, not a high Suite category), so I’m not sure it wouldn’t be a waste of time.

But the thought of having to endure 68 days of “table for one” dining on the 2020 Grand Cape Horn Adventure (plus 131 days if I go forward with booking the 2020 World Cruise) is just too depressing. I’m no social butterfly, but sharing a meal onboard with other guests is one of my favorite parts of cruising.

Thanks— I’ll consider that. I don’t have the clout/status you have (my first Regent cruise, not a high Suite category), so I’m not sure it wouldn’t be a waste of time.

But the thought of having to endure 68 days of “table for one” dining on the 2020 Grand Cape Horn Adventure (plus 131 days if I go forward with booking the 2020 World Cruise) is just too depressing. I’m no social butterfly, but sharing a meal onboard with other guests is one of my favorite parts of cruising.

The F and B Director would most definitely like to know about this. I think it is a misunderstanding by the CR staff or they are too worried about a possible empty chair. Maybe write a nice note explaining your dilemma to be given to the director would be more comfortable for you. Meeting the other singles in the lounge is a great beginning, but maybe you would like to meet couples too.

I do believe it will work out.

My husband and I would be more than happy to share a table with a single. Maybe they are worried about ending up with 1 open chair because another single doesn’t come. I say who cares...leave a chair open or take it away.

They end up with 1 open chair when they seat me alone at a table for two, too. That’s why this is so puzzling— it can’t be a space issue. I don’t know — but I’ll try to find out! [emoji6]

Lana,

I am not a drinker - club soda/no ice/lime - and have traveled solo for several years.

The Social and Solo Travelers get-together has always been nice - hosted by the Social Hostess, members of the Production group, lecturers, entertainers etc. We meet for a "drink" - or not - about 6:30 and then go to dinner around 7pm. It's very informal and has always been very pleasant.

If you have other plans for dinner, y

ou can go for a drink and then go to whatever you plan to do.What is nice is that it is always "there".

I hope you try it . . .

Peggy

UPDATE: I posted this on the RSSC Facebook page to get their perspective. I keep forgetting that it is monitored by RSSC staff. Within 10 minutes, my phone rang. It was the Cruise Director — John Barron — great conversation, he’s going to sort out the dining room issue (yes, they DO allow sharing for anyone, solo or couple, if requested). And he’s going to change the wording in the Onboard Activities blurb for the “Solo & Social” group to include “dining” as part of the description. I’m going tonight to give it a try.

Talk about “responsive”!!!

UPDATE: I posted this on the RSSC Facebook page to get their perspective. I keep forgetting that it is monitored by RSSC staff. Within 10 minutes, my phone rang. It was the Cruise Director — John Barron — great conversation, he’s going to sort out the dining room issue (yes, they DO allow sharing for anyone, solo or couple, if requested). And he’s going to change the wording in the Onboard Activities blurb for the “Solo & Social” group to include “dining” as part of the description. I’m going tonight to give it a try.

As I recall, the description in the daily program always included "...with the option to continue on to dinner together..."

Great! John Barron is the best. If you have a second and don't mind, please tell him that Jackie and Dennis send their love. Thanks much!

Great to hear that Regent took action because your situation was unacceptable. No one should be made to dine alone against their wishes, much less by a cruise line that touts itself for great customer service and equal treatment regardless of one’s status. Shame on whoever gave you the wrong info. You deserve an apology and more. Thankfully, you are now under John’s wing. He will make it right.

Z and TB

So I did Solo & Social tonight and had a perfectly wonderful dinner with two other solos and two young ladies who are in the show cast. John showed up in the Mariner Lounge (today’s meeting place) along with the Social Director and assured me again that this will be fixed with the CR folks so that asking to share won’t automatically result in a “table for one” assignment. I plan to do Solo & Social again tomorrow. This is more like it! [emoji4]

We prefer most nights to share. We do not care if they are young or old, single or couple, gay or straight. Whatever. Most travelers are very interesting. But we did have one cruise where we shared with a single who was opinionated, political, rude, wanted to tell us how to to live our life and it was difficult to get a word in. After sharing with her twice we asked for the rest of the cruise that we not share with a single. This does not appear to be the situation here as it appears to start from the beginning of the cruise. There are also many times where we "open" a sharing table and nobody else elects to share. We give it a half hour and then just proceed to order and enjoy our own company.

Table sharing is one of the things we like best on Regent (and other lines which have true open seating). Most nights in CR we'll tell the maitre'd that we'd like to join a table or, if none available, start a table. You meet a lot of interesting people this way and the beauty of it is that if you like the others, you can arrange to meet them again for dinner. If not, you thank them for the evening and walk away.

If you have a really poor experience, just mention to the maitre'd that you'd prefer not to seat with them again and it won't happen.

Table sharing is one of the things we like best on Regent (and other lines which have true open seating). Most nights in CR we'll tell the maitre'd that we'd like to join a table or, if none available, start a table. You meet a lot of interesting people this way and the beauty of it is that if you like the others, you can arrange to meet them again for dinner. If not, you thank them for the evening and walk away.

If you have a really poor experience, just mention to the maitre'd that you'd prefer not to seat with them again and it won't happen.

Amen! Yep! Open dining and "table sharing" might be my favorite thing about Regent (well yes, there are several close seconds).

Thanks for the tip, Portolan. DW and I took our first cruise this Spring, Mariner to Alaska. We were open to sharing a table and were a little surprised to always be seated at a two-top. Almost always by a window so we certainly didn’t complain. We did feel that we missed out on some social opportunities though.

We’re doing Barcelona to Venice next April on the Explorer. We’ll be sure to let the maitre’d know when we want to share a table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know if this is the root of this problem or not, but in our many years of cruising Regent/Radisson we have noticed a trend toward a greater percentage of tables for two and a reduction in larger tables. We frankly have never seen a table for one (not saying they don't exist -- just haven't seen them). So could it be that the larger tables were full when the OP was denied one?

...(not saying they don't exist -- just haven't seen them). So could it be that the larger tables were full when the OP was denied one?

I'm willing to say they don't exist. What would be the point? It'd take up pretty much the same space as a 2-top and leave them with less flexibility. Seating a single person at a 2-top or 4-top is not uncommon in our experience since we assume, perhaps incorrectly, that they didn't ask to share. As a couple, we've never been denied a table to ourselves though frequently it's been a 4-top.

I'd also add that when we've told the maitre'd that we're willing to start a table, we usually add something like "if it can be filled shortly" since we don't want to be seated more than 10 minutes or so without moving on with dinner. That has always worked. I'd say our record had been about 60-75% of the time, additional folks are seated. Also, I don't ever recall being asked to share a table if we weren't explicit about it when approaching the maitre'd cold...on some cruises, after a few days, they anticipate our request and make the offer, but it is never involuntary.

Part of what you are paying for on Regent is the overcapacity of the dining rooms so that you almost always can be accommodated for your desires.

I don't know if this is the root of this problem or not, but in our many years of cruising Regent/Radisson we have noticed a trend toward a greater percentage of tables for two and a reduction in larger tables. We frankly have never seen a table for one (not saying they don't exist -- just haven't seen them). So could it be that the larger tables were full when the OP was denied one?

Definitely not full. I eat relatively early — usually arriving around 6:30-6:45, and this happened 3 different times (2 different maitre d’s). The seating of the couples at shared tables (4-tops) occurred within 10-15 minutes of my being seated. I also indicated that I wasn’t in a huge hurry and was willing to wait until the table was full to order (just send the sommelier over, and I’ll be happy [emoji6]). So it was pretty clear that sharing among couples was OK, but solos — no.

CD indicated that this was likely a misunderstanding among CR staff, as the policy is to accommodate requests to share if possible, no matter who makes the request (solo or couple). He said this would be addressed.

I’m totally happy with RSSC’s response— I really didn’t anticipate such an immediate reaction. I’m really impressed that they reached out personally to sort this out. Each day, I’m more and more impressed with RSSC’s customer service.

And I had a very nice dinner last night with a few folks from the Solo & Social group plus two members of the entertainment cast. So that looks like something I’ll definitely do again.