"New Casual Dining Experience"

Portolan

In the Regent Society newsletter received today there is an article about a "new casual dining experience" which is an "enhancement of the Pool Grill to now feature a more relaxed dining option for our guests, open for seating from 6PM to 9PM every night." Goes on to say that it will feature a casual dress code regardless of the evening standard for the other dining venues. Finally, it says the Pool Bar will be open until 10PM each night.

All this sounds great. There are evenings when we are only looking for a light dinner and here-to-fore, that's meant room service (or a lot of self-control in one of the restaurants.

Link to Pool Grill dinner menu now on Regent web site: https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/pool-grill

No mention of when this will be operational. Maybe those currently on-board can let us know if it's already in place. I thought I recalled some mention of this a trial on one of the ships (here, post #13: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2658714&highlight=grill), but it now appears to be a fleet-wide thing. BTW, the mention of this in the newsletter says "You asked, we listened" so the trial on Voyager must have been well-received.

Edited by Portolan

I also think that it is a good idea and agree that there should be make it yourself sandwiches. Thanks for posting the menu - the one item that we found truly poor was the lobster nachos. Any similarity between real nachos and what we had is purely coincidental.

As long as the "casual" passengers that are not wearing the minimum required by the Dress Code stay out of the lounges, I have no problem whatsoever.

Thanks for posting the menu - the one item that we found truly poor was the lobster nachos. Any similarity between real nachos and what we had is purely coincidental.

No lobster nachos at dinnertime so you are safe (we actually like them at lunch). You have to select the "Dinner" tab to get the evening menu.:)

Edited by Portolan

I find the dress code very easy to adhere to and most likely will when eating at pool grill so we can go to lounges or show afterwards unless we are exhausted and staying in. I’m just excited about having a light quicker alternative for some nights. Just told my husband and he is thrilled we have a new choice. Bravo Regent.

This is great news we saw it in the seven seas news letter. We have three cruises booked we will not use this on our next cruise (Alaska) but the two later will work better weather:)

The new casual dinner option at the Pool Grill is now available on all ships.

Jason, can you adress the dress code as some people might want to wear dress jeans to the casual venue or are they required to go change to go to any other venue after on casual nights? We are on the Explorer next year and just want to be properly informed. A more relaxed atmosphere is certainly welcomed but being relegated to one area and changing clothes after dinner is a pain.

Agree that Jason should address this issue. After all, this new plan is likely not a way for people in jeans and shorts to get into lounges in the evening. It seems that the reason the pool bar will be open is to avoid having ultra casually dressed passengers hanging out in the lounges that clearly have the Regent Dress Code.

If you want to be casual, that's great - just remember that the majority of passengers want to keep the Dress Code inside of the ship. And, putting on a pair of long slacks and a collared shirt is not a big deal. We all do it when we return to the ship after our excursions and are preparing for dinner.

Jason, can you adress the dress code as some people might want to wear dress jeans to the casual venue or are they required to go change to go to any other venue after on casual nights? We are on the Explorer next year and just want to be properly informed. A more relaxed atmosphere is certainly welcomed but being relegated to one area and changing clothes after dinner is a pain.

Come on....how hard is to change clothes from your day time clothes. If you are planning on going to other venues after pool dinner...change to appropriate clothes before or after dinner...your choice. If just going to relax on deck or suite...no need.

Come on....how hard is to change clothes from your day time clothes. If you are planning on going to other venues after pool dinner...change to appropriate clothes before or after dinner...your choice. If just going to relax on deck or suite...no need.

IMHO, it is a pain to make these clothing changes enjoying an evening outdoors in a casual restaurant but still look very presentable in other venues such as a bar. We have seen younger but presentable people and that includes men and women on Regent not being asked to change as they were not dining in speciality or Compass Rose. That is why I am asking Jason. Crystal does allow dress jeans on port days and we have never seen what you would see on say Carnival or RCL. Like hats and shorts...been a very long time sailing those lines.

If one wants to wear a gown or tux so be it and that is great but coming back from an excursion late and dining alfresco as long as they are neat and clean we don’t care and it seems Regent does not either as we have seen people not dressed to the so called code which we have seen not enforced. Trust me we judge people by personalities not the material they are wearing and their heart and soul and friendship.

IMHO, it is a pain to make these clothing changes enjoying an evening outdoors in a casual restaurant but still look very presentable in other venues such as a bar. We have seen younger but presentable people and that includes men and women on Regent not being asked to change as they were not dining in speciality or Compass Rose. That is why I am asking Jason. Crystal does allow dress jeans on port days and we have never seen what you would see on say Carnival or RCL. Like hats and shorts...been a very long time sailing those lines.

If one wants to wear a gown or tux so be it and that is great but coming back from an excursion late and dining alfresco as long as they are neat and clean we don’t care and it seems Regent does not either as we have seen people not dressed to the so called code which we have seen not enforced. Trust me we judge people by personalities not the material they are wearing and their heart and soul and friendship.

This has nothing to do with how I judge people. I grew up respecting rules so I dress as the dress code states. As simple as that.

Crystal does allow dress jeans on port days and we have never seen what you would see on say Carnival or RCL.

Beg to differ. Crystal only allows jeans of any kind on the last night of the sailing, as a concession to packing issues. On my most recent Crystal cruise, jeans were called out as being not allowed, along with shorts and ball caps.

Of course, with the fluidity in how cruiselines manage their dress codes, I could be completely wrong as of today. And, it may also be influenced by the discretion of the maitre 'd.

I for one think it's a great idea for another dining experience---sometimes you just get tried of eating a 4-5-6 course dinners every night. And I don't think you have to get upset about how people dress---most everyone can handle it. Very few people dress poorly on Regent, we don't need the few that think they are the"Dress Police" on a cruise. So enjoy your cruise, your way-but be neat.

This has nothing to do with how I judge people. I grew up respecting rules so I dress as the dress code states. As simple as that.

I also feel that this is about respect. It is simple and not worth arguing about. I only commented about the dress code because Jason is obviously following this thread and it is an issue that will likely come up with the new policy.

Beg to differ. Crystal only allows jeans of any kind on the last night of the sailing, as a concession to packing issues. On my most recent Crystal cruise, jeans were called out as being not allowed, along with shorts and ball caps.

Of course, with the fluidity in how cruiselines manage their dress codes, I could be completely wrong as of today. And, it may also be influenced by the discretion of the maitre 'd.

First of all I have enjoyed your informative posts. That being said, on overnights and casual nights especially port intensive Crystal will allow dress dark jeans into the venues with a collared shirt. Just not black tie optional nights.

We are currently on board the Mariner. Jason Montegue is on board and in a very interesting town hall meeting he confirmed that the casual dining option is now ship wide. The Mariner opened Sept 1

The casual dining option is a great idea for those evenings when you don’t want to dress for dinner and just want a quick meal. It didn’t work too well in Alaska however since the dining area is open air

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The dress code will not change for any other areas of the ship.

The casual dress option applies to the Pool Grill area only and if you wish to go to any other venue afterward, the applicable evening dress code would apply as per usual.