Mariner vs Explorer

irenedee

Service and food should be the same with the exception of Pacific Rim which is only on Explorer. Also, if Sunday is a sea day on Explorer, they put on a fabulous brunch in CR - not to b missed. Lastly, you can have lunch in Prime 7 or Chartreuse on Explorer. They alternate days but are both open on sea days. CR is closed.

With the exception of "G" or "H" suites which are tiny, the equivalent (F1, F2 and Concierge suites) on Explorer is so much better than the equivalent suites on Mariner (and they are larger). Explorer's bathrooms are lovely - lots of storage space - a nice size shower AND bathtub and two sinks.

Explorer is our favorite ship - hope that you enjoy every minute of your cruise.

Service and food should be the same with the exception of Pacific Rim which is only on Explorer. Also, if Sunday is a sea day on Explorer, they put on a fabulous brunch in CR - not to b missed. Lastly, you can have lunch in Prime 7 or Chartreuse on Explorer. They alternate days but are both open on sea days. CR is closed.

With the exception of "G" or "H" suites which are tiny, the equivalent (F1, F2 and Concierge suites) on Explorer is so much better than the equivalent suites on Mariner (and they are larger). Explorer's bathrooms are lovely - lots of storage space - a nice size shower AND bathtub and two sinks.

Explorer is our favorite ship - hope that you enjoy every minute of your cruise.

Hi Travelcat2 what is your opinion of the Penthouse Suite on the Explorer? Can’t wait for the Sunday brunch on our Sunday Sea day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

Is the “Beatles Party” offered on the Explorer too. That was a fun night

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we were on the Explorer last year they did. It was in the atrium which sounded strange but worked great. Only night we danced and was great fun.

Hi Travelcat2 what is your opinion of the Penthouse Suite on the Explorer? Can’t wait for the Sunday brunch on our Sunday Sea day!

My DH insists on having a butler when we cruise, so we usually take a penthouse suite. Some are better than others.

On the Explorer, although they are narrow, there are two separate rooms, with two TVs and a small dining area. The closet is on the small side, but large enough for us. The bathroom has no tub, but has a huge shower. The balcony is a good size. We like this one the best.

On the Navigator, the penthouse is the same size as the categories below it. One room with a sitting area.

On the Mariner, the living area is large, but again, really one big room. This is our second favorite.

On the Voyager, penthouses vary in shape but size is similar to categories below.

Although we stayed once in the Superior Suite on the Explorer, and it is the the largest of its category amongst the other ships, we still opt for penthouse category. Yes, it has a unique shape, with bed facing the water, but the door is placed on a side so you really don’t see outside that well. The bath is great for a standard cabin.

We did go “overboard” once, and stayed in the Explorer Suite. It was a very special occasion, but anything above penthouse category is very expensive and not really in our cruising budget.

That’s how I see it!

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

The PH suites are almost our least favorite on Explorer (besides for their tiny suites that I believe are "G" and "H" category that should be for singes). The main reason we do not care for the PH suites on Mariner is that there is no bathtub which my DH enjoys very much. Second is the tiny closet. We really like the Concierge and Seven Seas suites on Explorer (and of course the Grand and Master suites).

If not having a bathtub is not a big deal for you, go for it!

While Mariner is our 3rd favorite ship, their PH suites are our favorite of any Regent ship.

The PH suites are almost our least favorite on Explorer (besides for their tiny suites that I believe are "G" and "H" category that should be for singes). The main reason we do not care for the PH suites on Mariner is that there is no bathtub which my DH enjoys very much. Second is the tiny closet. We really like the Concierge and Seven Seas suites on Explorer (and of course the Grand and Master suites).

While Mariner is our 3rd favorite ship, their PH suites are our favorite of any Regent ship.[/Q]

Thanks for your feedback we rarely use a bathtub. But you did say the closest was small on Marina is it also small on Explorer?

While Mariner is our 3rd favorite ship, their PH suites are our favorite of any Regent ship.[/Q]

Thanks for your feedback we rarely use a bathtub. But you did say the closest was small on Marina is it also small on Explorer?

Think that I was rushing when I posted the above. I meant to ay that the closet is small in the PH on Explorer. The closet on Mariner is a good size but not quite as large as on Voyager and Navigator.

My DH insists on having a butler when we cruise, so we usually take a penthouse suite. Some are better than others.

On the Explorer, although they are narrow, there are two separate rooms, with two TVs and a small dining area. The closet is on the small side, but large enough for us. The bathroom has no tub, but has a huge shower. The balcony is a good size. We like this one the best.

On the Navigator, the penthouse is the same size as the categories below it. One room with a sitting area.

On the Mariner, the living area is large, but again, really one big room. This is our second favorite.

On the Voyager, penthouses vary in shape but size is similar to categories below.

Although we stayed once in the Superior Suite on the Explorer, and it is the the largest of its category amongst the other ships, we still opt for penthouse category. Yes, it has a unique shape, with bed facing the water, but the door is placed on a side so you really don’t see outside that well. The bath is great for a standard cabin.

We did go “overboard” once, and stayed in the Explorer Suite. It was a very special occasion, but anything above penthouse category is very expensive and not really in our cruising budget.

That’s how I see it!

Sheila

Thanks for your feedback on the Penthouse Suite on Explorer, we also like having a butler if possible also like having the two rooms with separate TV’s as we have different sleeping habits.

irenedee: You didn't mention what category cabin you enjoyed on Mariner. We always do G on Mariner (and Voyager), and we did the more or less comparable F2 on Explorer. The Explorer cruise was wonderful, but I definitely prefer Mariner. The shower on Mariner is larger, and also has a nice seat for shaving legs, scrubbing between toes, whatever. Explorer, as has been said, has tub also, but since neither of us uses tub, it was just wasted space. We did enjoy having the two sinks on Explorer (but would trade that for the nicer shower on Mariner).

The main thing is that we felt a bit more cramped in our Explorer cabin. When the curtains were drawn at night (great black-out curtains, by the way), the space between the foot of the bed and the curtain was so small that every time one got out of bed (to use the bathroom, say) it was impossible not to brush against those drapes.

Even more important, we found the door/window configuration to be weird. There's a teensy window on the wall opposite the bed, which a person would have to go right up to in order to see out. Then a bunch of wall and then the sliding glass door out to the balcony. The glass in that door was definitely more narrow than the door on Mariner "G" cabin, so we never felt that we were enjoying looking out as much, felt more confined.

Each of the things that I mention is no doubt a non-issue for many people, and they certainly aren't a significant issue for us. But you asked, so I'm just reporting the news.

Bottom line: We have another Explorer cruise booked. Would I have preferred that it be the Mariner instead? Sure. Does it matter awfully much? Absolutely not.

Enjoy!

While Mariner is our 3rd favorite ship, their PH suites are our favorite of any Regent ship.

I think there are a few cabins on the Mariner that do have bathtubs; at least, I hope that’s correct! We specifically booked a Penthouse Suite, cabin # 909, on the June 12 Alaska departure because it is one of the few on the ship that has a tub as well as a shower. Interestingly, our travel agent had originally held a different cabin for us, thinking that we would not want a bathtub, and I had to request the change to 909.

POSS - thanks for the detailed response

On Mariner we sailed Concierge - Suite 954 and on Explorer we sail in a Superior Suite 717

954 has a very spacious shower only set up (my preference too) with the helpful bench. The bathroom worked just fine but I’m looking forward to the double sinks on the Explorer

The walk-in closet was barely big enough though so I’m hoping Explorer will be a bit larger

I’m not sure that I would close the curtains around the bed as you did and it sounds that it maybe a bit inconvenient anyway. I’m hoping that the bed facing the balcony is as good as I think it will be.

I should add, we were not pleased that on several days while in port when we returned to our cabin, it smelled distinctly of greasy food. We attribute it to the pool grill two decks above I’m going to assume that cabins on the port side, heading aft on deck 10 would have the same problem too

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a reminder for some people that did not sail on Mariner before the bathtub change (when all suites had bathtubs with showers). The depth of the shower made getting into and out of the bathtub very difficult for some passengers and the ceiling was so low that even I (5' 4") touched the ceiling when I reached above my head. The requests to fix the problem were many and Regent (under former owners) removed the bathtubs in many suites and installed showers. This is the reason why they are so big.

As I have mentioned on other threads, we love the Explorer bathrooms (in F1/F2/Concierge suites). They are spacious - have two sinks and loads of storage space plus a good sized shower (smaller than on Mariner) and bathtub. Explorer also has larger walk-in closets and the safe fit my handbag - it was that large (the safe on Mariner is tiny - unless it was replaced during the last dry dock).

As a reminder for some people that did not sail on Mariner before the bathtub change (when all suites had bathtubs with showers). The depth of the shower made getting into and out of the bathtub very difficult for some passengers and the ceiling was so low that even I (5' 4") touched the ceiling when I reached above my head. The requests to fix the problem were many and Regent (under former owners) removed the bathtubs in many suites and installed showers. This is the reason why they are so big.

As I have mentioned on other threads, we love the Explorer bathrooms (in F1/F2/Concierge suites). They are spacious - have two sinks and loads of storage space plus a good sized shower (smaller than on Mariner) and bathtub. Explorer also has larger walk-in closets and the safe fit my handbag - it was that large (the safe on Mariner is tiny - unless it was replaced during the last dry dock).

This makes me think that my TA’s initial instinct might have been correct...my husband is 6’1”. Given your experience with the bathtub on the Mariner, will he have an issue?

This makes me think that my TA’s initial instinct might have been correct...my husband is 6’1”. Given your experience with the bathtub on the Mariner, will he have an issue?

First, there are many bathtub suites on Mariner. The shower-only suites sell out first and can be difficult to get. Your husband will fit in the tub but may not find it as comfortable as the shower only. Just be careful getting into and particularly out of the tub. It isn’t an easy tub to get into and out of.

Mariner is a beautiful ship and hopefully your will enjoy your cruise as Mariner as much as we do.

First, there are many bathtub suites on Mariner. The shower-only suites sell out first and can be difficult to get. Your husband will fit in the tub but may not find it as comfortable as the shower only. Just be careful getting into and particularly out of the tub. It isn’t an easy tub to get into and out of.

Mariner is a beautiful ship and hopefully your will enjoy your cruise as Mariner as much as we do.

Thanks, appreciate the fast response and the additional detail!

I forgot to mention one other important (as in very important, at least to us) difference bet. Mariner and Explorer. Mariner has that nice space where one can be forward on the ship and be OUTSIDE for viewing. On Explorer, it's all closed in (Observation Lounge). This was a biggie for us. (We're rarely in lounges, but we love being outside as much as possible.)

But, really, Explorer is great, for all the reasons mentioned and a whole lot more. (Mariner is better.) ;)

Explorer and Mariner are both fine ships.

Explorer pluses:

• Size & layout of Prime 7 and Chartreuse (also one of these is open for lunch each day)
  • Pacific Rim speciality restaurant
  • Reception and atrium area is stunning
  • D, E & F suites are very comfortable

Explorer minuses:

• Theatre sight lines
  • No aft Horizon Lounge
  • No outside forward viewing area
  • Compass Rose is noisy

We like both ships and book on the basis of itinerary.

On Explorer we like an F1 or F2 Suite. On Mariner we opt for a shower only PHC - the suites are a good size & layout; we do not care for the bath/shower combos on Mariner.

Unless the safes were changed during the recent refurbishment, the safes on the Mariner are approximately 1/2 the size of those on the Explorer. My recollection comes from 4 cruises on Explorer in 4 different suite categories as well as 11 cruises on Mariner having stayed in all categories except the Master suite category.

dd10697c9d5add15b9bec5f19caad9d3.jpg

Approximate dimensions of the safes on Mariner: 450mm wide X 200mm high X 350mm deep. (18” X 8” X 14”)

I believe that the safes on Explorer are about the same size, if not identical. I would be very surprised if they were double this size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The posted photo clearly shows me that safes were upgraded during the last refurbishment. We were unsuccessful in putting a rather small laptop into the safe on our cruises. It basically held our passports and wallets. When we boarded Explorer, I was preparing to remove my wallet to place inside of the safe and was very surprised to see that my not only would my handbag fit but also my DH's wallet and passport (and the safe was not stuffed)

Yes, all the safes on Mariner were replaced during refurbishment as I reported in my blog (post #6) in April.

I think other CC members are probably more interested in up to date information rather than recollections of Mariner’s facilities prior to its major refurbishment.

The OP knows the information about Mariner and was asking what similarities/differences could be expected on Explorer.

I was simply trying to be helpful by correcting the oft repeated mis-information posted about the relative size of safes on the two ships.

Edited by flossie009

In my post #21 I acknowledged the fact that the safes may have been changed during refurbishment. A simple response stating that they were would have been nice and helpful to those reading this thread. Stating that I posted mis-information was not accurate.