Shade at Half Moon Cay?

Sunmist

There is some shade between the cabanas and villas. But that area is sloped, and filled with roots. So it is ok in some areas, but rough in others. And if a hurricane comes through, more limbs may disappear.

This is from our most recent visits in March and April of this year. I write this because there is a regular poster who comes through and posts there is lots of shade. But I don't think that person has been to HMC anytime in the last decade.

There is plenty of shade if you walk further down the beach - to the area around the last few cabanas. I don't know about shade at the start of the beach if you want to be where everyone (i.e. crowds) are sitting. We don't stop there. I was there in mid April so this is recent experience.

We were there 6/20/17. There are lounge chairs set up in rows about 4-5 deep starting at the waters edge. The back set of chairs had pretty good shade until about 11am. There are chairs that have a shade you can purchase for $29 u can put on your s&s card once you are out there.

We were there 6/20/17. There are lounge chairs set up in rows about 4-5 deep starting at the waters edge. The back set of chairs had pretty good shade until about 11am. There are chairs that have a shade you can purchase for $29 u can put on your s&s card once you are out there.

The "shade that you purchase " is commonly called "clamshells ". Many like them.

The "shade that you purchase " is commonly called "clamshells ". Many like them.

Is it first come, first serve with the clamshells? Do you purchase them on the island or on the ship?

If there are no loungers under a tree, put one there! You really don't need to pay for shade!

yeah! "put one there" if you can find a spot. Better advice, if you want shade and don't want to walk a ways then get there fairly early because although there are trees, there are not enough for everyone to be in the shade. ;)

yeah! "put one there" if you can find a spot. Better advice, if you want shade and don't want to walk a ways then get there fairly early because although there are trees, there are not enough for everyone to be in the shade. ;)

Agree. See my comments in post #2.

My $0.02. Just visited HMC this week. Would recommend the clamshell. Previous poster mentions tree roots and so many people start pulling their chairs back, it can get crowded. One woman brought an umbrella and threaded it thru straps. Also towel clips or plain clothespins would be helpful. You can save a renting a float by bringing your own. It is a beautiful beach. Try not to miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
You can purchase them in advance. Otherwise, which one you get is first come first serve.

Can you or someone elaborate? I don't see them in my shore excursions, so do you purchase them in advance on the ship? Where, at shore excursions? Can you do this as soon as you board? And if you do rent one in advance, then when you get there it is first come, first serve? Is there someone monitoring to be sure people who are in them actually rented them? We just aren't morning people so I know we won't be over there first thing, so if I rent one I want to be sure when I get there I will actually have one. And are they all together in one general location? Sorry for all the questions, just our first time at HMC and trying to figure out how it all works.

It might depend a little on your cruise line, but on HAL, you can book in advance (before you get on ship), or at the shore excursion desk (before you get to the island), or on the island.

They are first come first serve once you get to the island. They will be available all day, and they are located about the first hundred or so yards of beach, to about the Pirate Bar. I don't recall them being past the Pirate bar, but I could be wrong.

It might depend a little on your cruise line, but on HAL, you can book in advance (before you get on ship), or at the shore excursion desk (before you get to the island), or on the island.

They are first come first serve once you get to the island. They will be available all day, and they are located about the first hundred or so yards of beach, to about the Pirate Bar. I don't recall them being past the Pirate bar, but I could be wrong.

Thank you Bruce! We are on Carnival. We are traveling with two other couples who have priority tender, so maybe they can head over and snag a couple for us!

• 3 weeks later...

I asked DH how he got us a clam shell, he said he asked someone who was working on the beach. I think it cost us 20-25 bucks, our problem, there were 3 of us, and once you are in there, there is no breeze. Chairs are easily movable, so the next time we went, we skipped the shell and just moved our chairs back in the shade as the day progressed..

Have a great time, HMC is our favorite "port".

• 2 months later...
Can you or someone elaborate? I don't see them in my shore excursions, so do you purchase them in advance on the ship? Where, at shore excursions? Can you do this as soon as you board? And if you do rent one in advance, then when you get there it is first come, first serve? Is there someone monitoring to be sure people who are in them actually rented them? We just aren't morning people so I know we won't be over there first thing, so if I rent one I want to be sure when I get there I will actually have one. And are they all together in one general location? Sorry for all the questions, just our first time at HMC and trying to figure out how it all works.

We rented once we got to the island. I don't know if they reserve them on board. There is a support bar that holds the clamshell open that an attendant will install for you. Select and shell this isn't up and it becomes yours.

They are traditionally the back row of chairs and mostly along the crowded end of the beach, near the tenders. I did see people move theirs, or have theirs moved down to the quieter end of the beach.

There is very little airflow through them but they are built in a way that you can put something a few inches tall under the back edget and it becomes livable.

There are several areas in the quieter end of the beach where you can move chairs into the trees, but there is not much open area with shade.

Seems like they used to have them (the clamshells) much further down the beach (my favorite area - almost to the last cabana) but the last few times, I don't think I saw any beyond the "water toys" section, where they put in the little sailboats between two swimming areas. Around cabana 10, I believe.

Anyway, I used to always rent a clamshell. It was fine when I was solo. I'd use the space for a 2nd lounger and prop up the back to get some breeze.

Last time, I just walked all the way down and sat mostly in the shade.

On Carnival, I'm Platinum and I always go over as early as possible. On HAL, I have to wait a bit but still go as early as I can. I don't sit in the sun and bake all day so prefer the morning sun and then sitting back in the shade later and reading.

Will be there again on 11/18. I'm not a "beach person" but I do love it there. It's so beautiful!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very averse to sun (give me headaches) so I'm always looking for shade. On our first trip to HMC, I was able to move my lounger around and found sufficient shade. This next trip, my plan is to bring a small clip on umbrella that we usually use at lake beaches, and clamp it on the lounge chair, if necessary.

Pre reserved sun shelter rental $12 - HMC next month.

I’ll post a pic and let you all know how it worked out.

I do know it’s going to be busy with two ships in port. A short day too, 8-2:30, tenders and we are not priority on HA

We've been on Half Moon 4 times, the last time was less than a week ago. We always rent a clamshell before we even board. You find them in the excursion section for your cruise. About $40 and worth it if you have to have shade. It does only hold two loungers though. They have changed the way you claim your shell once you are on the island. Used to be you found find a person in a yellow shirt and give them your HA ticket. NOW you have to line up and someone in the booth writes out the same information as on your ticket, and hands you a paper copy. You then take THAT to the yellow shirt person and she sets up your clamshell and puts the paper portion into a plastic type of envelope that is attached to the front of the shell. I don't know why they don't just take the original HA ticket and put that in the same pouch, but they don't. It is now a pain.