First time in Tortola..

Tminish

There are many options depending on what you want from beaches and snorkeling on Tortola, taking a nice catamaran day sail, visiting the Baths on Virgin Gorda or White Bay on Jost Van Dyke. Use the search function or just read past threads on these topics to see what interests you most. White Bay in particular was devastated by hurricane Irma (as were many areas on Tortola and VG) but by that time the infrastructure and tourism industry should be pretty well back on track.

IMHO the only reason to take an excursion through the cruise line is if they offer something you can't get through an independent operator or on your own. The Rebel Yell cat to Jost is one of those if it survived the hurricanes.Other than that, the taxis and ferries are very dependable and we'd have no concerns about using a reputable independent excursion operator or going on our own to any of these islands because the ferry system is so reliable.

Thanks LuLu, yes the Baths are definitely a must-see. I should have mentioned that when in port on a shorter day (8 hours) it may make more sense to take a ferry to the Baths on Virgin Gorda through the cruise line. I’ve read the cruise line uses a separate ferry for the excursion and it leaves before the public ferry but I’m not sure if that is true, perhaps someone can confirm that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I saw a report recently stating that the Baths are currently closed. Anyone have info on this or know if they will be open by next month?

This may be why our April 2018 cruise does not list the Baths as an excursion. What is a 2nd choice for first timers to Tortola?

I saw a report recently stating that the Baths are currently closed. Anyone have info on this or know if they will be open by next month?

Not sure what source you are referencing? Here’s an update from BVITraveler dated November 30 -

The Baths remain a 5-star attraction, as beautiful now as ever. The path from Spring Bay to Devil’s Bay is passable, with some scrambling around a damaged ladder. Top of the Baths restaurant and bar is open and would make a great lunch stop.

https://www.bvitraveller.com/updated-sailing-report

• 2 weeks later...

Two years back my husband and I went to see the Baths in October and I highly recommend going there. I would use the ship shore excursion because you have about a 45 minute ferry ride to Virgin Gorda. The water was very rough. I had fractured my wrist the day before on St. Johns so I could only wade in the water. My husband loved going into the caves and one day we hope to return so I can spend time in the caves and not sitting on the beautiful beach.

Edited by Jean A
missed spacing of words

• 1 month later...

not sure how this beach was after hurricane, but if you want less crowded and what I think was great snorkeling... smuglers cove. no facilities here. literally just beach and coral. lots of fish. calm water. was cool when you were surrounded by a school of fish and they part and suddenly a huge fish is right in front of you... saw a lot of parrot fish too. was here about 5 years ago and stayed on the island.... don't forget to have a bushwacker for a drink....