General Visa Information

Ozwoody

Visa Info Thread

Hi the imperative to start this thread, was because I could not find any other thread that deals with this aspect of travelling.

The“World Cruise visas” Thread started by “Scrapnana”, seemed close, but it seemed more specific to US visa companies and I didn’t want to hijack it for something that I hope will be much broader and more detailed.

As I have begun to travel more and more, the mystery of visa requirements has frustrated me no end, I’m sure there are many out there who would agree with that!

For example if going to India, the government site says you can apply “online for India eVisa”.

Well yes, you can, if you are only going into India via nominated airports, but what about other airports, sea ports? Land border crossings?

Even all sea ports are not the same, some differ from others.

It is similar in Indonesia, there are several types of visa, not only depending on where you enter! They can even vary on the size of ship you’re on.

Even different conditions apply to different people’s nationalities.

I have come across on various threads with visa tips but none with specific solutions, most are just expressions of frustration and grumbles, and I have been one of those frustrated grumblers. There are probably some really great tips out there but I have not been lucky enough to come across them.

So the point here is:-

To gather in one thread as many tips as possible,

Where to get the best information re visa’s,

How to go about applying for them,

The costs involved.

Lack of guidance for visa’s from Cruise Companies.

The worry re Sending Passports for visa approval by mail

Confusing visa requirements for various countries

The danger on this type of thread is that inevitably we have to mention visa processing organisations, and we are not allowed to promote commercial enterprises.

I am thinking that as long as we point to sources of help without personal endorsement for a particular organisation, it should be ok.

However if I’m wrong in this I’m sure the moderators for CC will straighten me out fairly quick.

To kick this off, when I first started to travel I had to apply for an India visa,when I searched what was required I was totally confused. It seemed that almost every site had different info. Worst was to come when I found the official Indian Government visa site, it seemed to conflict its own information. (To make matters more difficult, the Indian government was going through an anti Ozzie phase) Eventually I was able to navigate the Indian visa sites and was able to secure our Indian visa.

But by only just narrowly being relegated to sleep in the back shed, for some colourful language about their overly bureaucratic and unfriendly visa site.

However on the good side, I was able to put together a guide to completing the visa application, which I passed around to friends and family. See the attached file which was last updated 15/08/2016.

Note visa requirements can change overnight, so all information requires checking with the most recent requirements. Hence this thread to try and keep things up to a reasonable level.

Please tell us your experiences with visas, the funny, the grumble, but mostly the helpful. Which countries are difficult, which if you’re in the know are a piece of cake, which are just plane #*^$###.

Regards

APPLYING FOR AN INDIAN VISA 96 x.pdf

Visa Info Thread

Hi the imperative to start this thread, was because I could not find any other thread that deals with this aspect of travelling.

The“World Cruise visas” Thread started by “Scrapnana”, seemed close, but it seemed more specific to US visa companies and I didn’t want to hijack it for something that I hope will be much broader and more detailed.

As I have begun to travel more and more, the mystery of visa requirements has frustrated me no end, I’m sure there are many out there who would agree with that!

For example if going to India, the government site says you can apply “online for India eVisa”.

Well yes, you can, if you are only going into India via nominated airports, but what about other airports, sea ports? Land border crossings?

Even all sea ports are not the same, some differ from others.

It is similar in Indonesia, there are several types of visa, not only depending on where you enter! They can even vary on the size of ship you’re on.

Even different conditions apply to different people’s nationalities.

I have come across on various threads with visa tips but none with specific solutions, most are just expressions of frustration and grumbles, and I have been one of those frustrated grumblers. There are probably some really great tips out there but I have not been lucky enough to come across them.

So the point here is:-

To gather in one thread as many tips as possible,

Where to get the best information re visa’s,

How to go about applying for them,

The costs involved.

Lack of guidance for visa’s from Cruise Companies.

The worry re Sending Passports for visa approval by mail

Confusing visa requirements for various countries

The danger on this type of thread is that inevitably we have to mention visa processing organisations, and we are not allowed to promote commercial enterprises.

I am thinking that as long as we point to sources of help without personal endorsement for a particular organisation, it should be ok.

However if I’m wrong in this I’m sure the moderators for CC will straighten me out fairly quick.

To kick this off, when I first started to travel I had to apply for an India visa,when I searched what was required I was totally confused. It seemed that almost every site had different info. Worst was to come when I found the official Indian Government visa site, it seemed to conflict its own information. (To make matters more difficult, the Indian government was going through an anti Ozzie phase) Eventually I was able to navigate the Indian visa sites and was able to secure our Indian visa.

But by only just narrowly being relegated to sleep in the back shed, for some colourful language about their overly bureaucratic and unfriendly visa site.

However on the good side, I was able to put together a guide to completing the visa application, which I passed around to friends and family. See the attached file which was last updated 15/08/2016.

Note visa requirements can change overnight, so all information requires checking with the most recent requirements. Hence this thread to try and keep things up to a reasonable level.

Please tell us your experiences with visas, the funny, the grumble, but mostly the helpful. Which countries are difficult, which if you’re in the know are a piece of cake, which are just plane #*^$###.

Regards

This is not a good idea. No thread needed, particularly since visa requirements are often not static (e.g., temporary Brazil waivers during g the recent Olympics) and can be very different depending on your nationality/citizenship (CC posters are notorious for not consistently identifying where they live).

For US citizen, just use the US State Department website for current info:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/americans-traveling-abroad.html

I trust that other developed countries will have similar website info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is not a good idea. No thread needed, particularly since visa requirements are often not static (e.g., temporary Brazil waivers during g the recent Olympics) and can be very different depending on your nationality/citizenship (CC posters are notorious for not consistently identifying where they live).

For US citizen, just use the US State Department website for current info:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/americans-traveling-abroad.html

I trust that other developed countries will have similar website info.

Hi “Flatbush Flyer”

Thanks for your input, and yes I believe I said that things change and need checking,so that is important to take into account.

I’m not sure what the US State department site is like, but the Australian one just gives you safety warnings and indicates you may need a visa, does not give much help on where to get it or tips on filling out the visa application.

Some applications such as the Indian ones have various visas and obscure data requests

(See the attachment I uploaded as an example).

Also as you pointed out different countries has various visas for different nationalities.So was hoping to gain a better grasp of that aspect, and any other aspects, simply because quite often we don’t know we don’t know.

Also thought we may get a light hearted giggle or two out of other people’s experiences.

Thank you “Flatbush Flyer” I appreciate your time and input.

Regards

Hi “Flatbush Flyer”

Thanks for your input, and yes I believe I said that things change and need checking,so that is important to take into account.

I’m not sure what the US State department site is like, but the Australian one just gives you safety warnings and indicates you may need a visa, does not give much help on where to get it or tips on filling out the visa application.

Some applications such as the Indian ones have various visas and obscure data requests

(See the attachment I uploaded as an example).

Also as you pointed out different countries has various visas for different nationalities.So was hoping to gain a better grasp of that aspect, and any other aspects, simply because quite often we don’t know we don’t know.

Also thought we may get a light hearted giggle or two out of other people’s experiences.

Thank you “Flatbush Flyer” I appreciate your time and input.

Regards

The US site does have a section for country-by-country specific requirement info for US residents.

While I still think this (CC) is probably among the worst places for misinformation about all things governmental (or medical), I would enjoy reading humorous stories.

So, I'll start it off.

In my professional life, I spent significant time on a non-military "government" ship. On one occasion (many years ago) in a South American port, our port agent was responsible for getting exit stamps (on a Sunday) for a group flying back to the US. As it turned out, one returned passport was missing the stamp. Though the port agent said "don't worry," the affected person was adamant about correcting the error and, with the departure clock ticking away, insisted on accompanying the agent to get the stamp issue fixed.

According to the story, what followed was a phone call, then a drive to a definitely-not-tourist-friendly neighborhood where a somewhat shady appearing character produced a paper shopping bag from which he selected one of many stamps. You can imagine what happened next.

When the passport owner (now with a stamped passport) then voiced his continuing concerns to the port agent, his reply was "Don't worry- he's the police chief."

Viking will take of our Visas for our WC next January. We were just told we needed 12empty pages in our passports in order for GenVisa to process them. I wonder how many of the 900 passengers have 12 blank pages. Wish I lived in a city where I could just go and wait for it to be done. 6-8 weeks to get a new passport and then months while GenVisa submits the requests. No foreign travel for us this summer or fall!!! I did read that there was a way if we needed our passports while genVisa had them we could get another passport!

Visa Info Thread

Regards

I don't think that this is entirely correct. It is my understanding that we are not allowed to mention travel agencies in the posts. I have not read where are not allowed to mention other commercial enterprises. In fact, the HAL board has a current discussion on various, recommended visa-application enterprises. And there is a current thread her on various telephone carriers for international use.

Viking will take of our Visas for our WC next January. We were just told we needed 12empty pages in our passports in order for GenVisa to process them. I wonder how many of the 900 passengers have 12 blank pages. Wish I lived in a city where I could just go and wait for it to be done. 6-8 weeks to get a new passport and then months while GenVisa submits the requests. No foreign travel for us this summer or fall!!! I did read that there was a way if we needed our passports while genVisa had them we could get another passport!

Just did passport renewal. With "expedited" service, it took 10 days from the day I express mailed the old ones (from northern California to Philadelphia) until the appeared in my mailbox. BTW, there's only 20 blank pages in a new "standard" US passport and you can no longer get pages added. So, anyone doing a WC (as mentioned above), may want to order the new one with the extra pages.

Deec - A little off the topic, so please email me if desired - how does one get information on Vikings' ships, itineraries, and costs? I tried to get that info from their website, but the only way apparently available is by direct request to Viking, which is a pain if one is simply mildly curious about the line. Did I do something wrong?

I dont think a serious thread is a good idea - it is up to each traveller to check with the embassy/consulate of the country they are visiting in their country of residence, what the current requirements are.

One very odd regulation we encountered was going to Algeria when they wanted 2 photocopies of EVERY page in the passports, even BLANK ones. which with each page on a separate sheet of A4 would be 128 pages for 2 of us, I emailed the embassy to ask if the pages could be copied 2 at a time in order to save paper but never got a reply so had to send them. The company we went with also told us not to list the itinerary we were doing and gave us an "invitation letter" with an itinerary suitable for purpose of getting a visa.

Just checked and the 2 copies is still a rule as at 25 May2017 for a UK resident.

3.The original passport valid for at least 06 months + 02 sets of copies of all the pages (even the blank ones);

I dont think a serious thread is a good idea - it is up to each traveller to check with the embassy/consulate of the country they are visiting in their country of residence, what the current requirements are.

One very odd regulation we encountered was going to Algeria when they wanted 2 photocopies of EVERY page in the passports, even BLANK ones. which with each page on a separate sheet of A4 would be 128 pages for 2 of us, I emailed the embassy to ask if the pages could be copied 2 at a time in order to save paper but never got a reply so had to send them. The company we went with also told us not to list the itinerary we were doing and gave us an "invitation letter" with an itinerary suitable for purpose of getting a visa.

Just checked and the 2 copies is still a rule as at 25 May2017 for a UK resident.

3.The original passport valid for at least 06 months + 02 sets of copies of all the pages (even the blank ones);

Hi Aulanis

Thanks for the post, yes I agree you need to check these things yourself, and I believe I said that.

But your second part is exactly the type of info, I was hoping people would post, just those quirks, different counties, require so people are aware of possible twists in requirements.

Thank you again for your post

Regards

My paperwork from Oceania indicates that they will be doing the legwork to obtain my visas (5 of them) and that the cost is built into my cruise fare. Do some cruiselines leave you on your own to get this all done?

My paperwork from Oceania indicates that they will be doing the legwork to obtain my visas (5 of them) and that the cost is built into my cruise fare. Do some cruiselines leave you on your own to get this all done?

You may want to look at that particular cost item.

We're doing two (of several) future O cruises, each of which have Brazil on the itinerary. Each invoice shows $399/person for the required visa. It's actually optional for O to do it and you can DIY for a 10 year Brazil visa at $160/person (though it requires a visit to the Brazilian consulate here in SF). Once we complete that process, we'll have the O charge removed (prior to the penalty date).

Tampa Girl

Viking's website has all that info https://www.vikingcruises.com/! If you are lonely and want an overflowing mailbox you might request a catalogue!!!! we have taken one ocean and one river cruise. Very different but enjoyed each for what they offered.

Thanks, Deec - impressive itineraries! Impressive prices! Was the ocean cruise worth the cost?

WC is 2018 so we will find out...sure hope so...big investment in time and cost.

we have done a 22 day cruise that started in Barcelona went to St. Petersburg and finished in Stockholm with great ports in between...we were happy with the itinerary, ports, ship and crew!!!

WC is 2018 so we will find out...sure hope so...big investment in time and cost.

we have done a 22 day cruise that started in Barcelona went to St. Petersburg and finished in Stockholm with great ports in between...we were happy with the itinerary, ports, ship and crew!!!

The 2018 Viking WC has great itinerary. I don't know how well we would take the 140 days, but wouldn't mind trying!

You may want to look at that particular cost item.

We're doing two (of several) future O cruises, each of which have Brazil on the itinerary. Each invoice shows $399/person for the required visa. It's actually optional for O to do it and you can DIY for a 10 year Brazil visa at $160/person (though it requires a visit to the Brazilian consulate here in SF). Once we complete that process, we'll have the O charge removed (prior to the penalty date).

The first cruise I need a visa for is Cuba in 2017. O charged me $75 which is the same as if you get it yourself at the Havana airport. $50 is for the visa and $25 is for the Cuban health insurance.

For the world cruise in 2019, I need 5 visas (not Brazil) and so far I haven't been told that I have to do anything myself to get them. Maybe I'll check on the 2017 and 2018 WC threads to see if anyone has posted about visas.