NJ/NY to Budapest with return from AMS

Cyber Kat

First, let me say that I hate wading through the maze of picking flights. Second, I have a TA who I keep driving crazy because I do a lot of research. I’m in research mode at the moment [emoji16]

We are taking a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam next September. We did a previous river cruise last September from Amsterdam to Basel with a post cruise visit to Zurich. We had business/first flights (Delta One) on Delta non-stop direct to Amsterdam and from Zurich. We were completely satisfied with these flights.

I thought we would repeat the NJ/NY leg to Amsterdam on Delta, then get a flight from Amsterdam to Budapest - possibly on KLM - booking the whole thing through Delta with our return flight from Amsterdam home.

When I was first researching the trip. I found these flights. It was too soon to look for our dates, but I found the flights. As it’s getting closer to the time when we can book the flights, I can no longer find any Delta flights to Amsterdam - ugh!

So with all that said, my question is: if I am back to square one, what are my options for flights to Budapest and back from Amsterdam?

Looking for people who have done this route, preferably in business/first. Our last flight was in Delta One, so we are looking for a similar level of service. Can anyone make recommendations, so I can go to my TA with knowledgeable questions? By NJ/NY I am referring to EWR or JFK with EWR being our preferred airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think I may have found my flight from JFK. Last time we flew from EWR and returned to JFK. We can do JFK if we have to, but I’m still interested in hearing about other airlines just in case. Delta has a number of flights from NJ/NY to Amsterdam and on to Budapest operated by KLM. Haven’t heard great things about KLM business/first - at least what I can compare to our flights on Delta One. I can deal with the flight from Amsterdam to Budapest.

Looks like other options are EWR/JFK to CDG via Air France with United. I’d like to avoid CDG if at all possible and United always seems to be so much more money than the other lines - at least around here.

United and Delta both seem to have flights through Munich with Lufthansa and through Zurich with Swiss or Helvetica. I have no experience with any of those airlines.

When I was first researching the trip. I found these flights. It was too soon to look for our dates, but I found the flights. As it’s getting closer to the time when we can book the flights, I can no longer find any Delta flights to Amsterdam - ugh!

I highly question whatever source of information you are using. Between JFK and AMS, there are two DL operated flights and three KL operated flights.

Also, there is no reason why you need to buy one round-trip ticket JFK-AMS-JFK and a separate one for AMS-BUD, unless you have plans for a few days in AMS before continuing to BUD. Separate tickets have significant risks - just buy an open jaw of JFK-BUD and AMS-JFK.

Finally, you can get equivalent business class service on any number of airlines across the pond. Research onboard hard and soft product to see what works best for you.

I highly question whatever source of information you are using. Between JFK and AMS, there are two DL operated flights and three KL operated flights.

Also, there is no reason why you need to buy one round-trip ticket JFK-AMS-JFK and a separate one for AMS-BUD, unless you have plans for a few days in AMS before continuing to BUD. Separate tickets have significant risks - just buy an open jaw of JFK-BUD and AMS-JFK.

Finally, you can get equivalent business class service on any number of airlines across the pond. Research onboard hard and soft product to see what works best for you.

You question Delta airlines own website as a source of information? [emoji15]. I always go right to the source first, but I also used Kayak, Orbitz, Expedia and Google flights to see what they would turn up.

If I searched for flights from JFK to BUD I kept getting routings through CDG not AMS (or Milan or Spain or Portugal). I don’t particularly want to go through CDG. I don’t like the things I’ve heard about switching planes there.

If I changed the search parameters to JFK to AMS I found that Delta DOES have direct flights to AMS. Our return flight will be from AMS so I need to make sure I could get a direct, non-stop flight back home.

My flight from EWR from last year seems to have vanished. I guess they dropped the route. It’s getting to be United, United, United out of there any more. They really have that airport pretty much locked up. And they always seem much more expensive.

And I had no intention of buying one round-trip ticket JFK-AMS-JFK and a separate one for AMS-BUD. I started with entering JFK to BUD but I was getting all sorts of crazy routings with multiple stops through Detroit and Minneapolis coming up first. Their search algorithms need work. Used to be you could specify the number of stops in the first group of parameters, but if you still can, I couldn’t find it - and I looked.

And I know this “Finally, you can get equivalent business class service on any number of airlines across the pond. Research onboard hard and soft product to see what works best for you.”

The whole purpose of my post was to get FIRST HAND reports from people who have flown these other airlines in business/first, and hopefully recommendations. CC is only one of my information sources, but one that I have always found to be pretty good.

I used to hear good things about KLM, Lufthansa and SwissAir but not so much anymore. KLM’s businesses class didn’t look nearly as nice as Delta from the photos I found. I’m good with KLM on the AMS to BUD leg. I know once I get to Europe I will be most likely switching to European airlines equipment and service.

Lufthansa or SwissAir through Munich and Zurich respectively are possibilities if I can get return flights direct from Amsterdam, and if I can hear from people who have experienced them. I don’t want to spend that kind of money on an airline I have little knowledge of. I’m not fond of buying a pig in a poke [emoji12]

I’m a research junkie, much to the chagrin of my TA. I want to gather my own info before I discuss flights with her so we can have an intelligent conversation.

After paging through pages of possible flights with crazy routings (if I wanted a crazy routings at odd hours I’d let Viking pick the flights [emoji13]), I finally found a flight that fits my parameters, but I’d still like to see if there might be something else I do like options.

TIA to anyone willing to share their experiences.

AA flies non stop from PHL to both cities. No connections needed. Quick Amtrak ride to Philadelphia.

Seriously??? You want me to get myself and my luggage to the train station, then schlep all the way to Philadelphia to get a flight I can get from EWR or JFK by taking a comfy car service? Why? Why would anyone do that?

There are no direct flights to Budapest from ANY airport on the east coast. And if there were JFK would have one. It’s a major hub.

Seriously??? You want me to get myself and my luggage to the train station, then schlep all the way to Philadelphia to get a flight I can get from EWR or JFK by taking a comfy car service? Why? Why would anyone do that?

Lots of reasons, but it is more and more apparent that what you want is to fly non-stop as much as possible AND make it from either JFK or EWR.

There are no direct flights to Budapest from ANY airport on the east coast. And if there were JFK would have one. It’s a major hub.

First off, direct does not mean the same thing as non-stop. But let's assume that's what you mean.

Philadelphia is a "major hub" as well - perhaps more of a hub than JFK (which has a lot of O/D traffic), as that is the primary transatlantic gateway for American Airlines. Further, the non-stop flights to BUD start in May of 2018 and run in September. And yes, JFK will have one as well on LOT, also starting in May.

So if you had really done research, you'd know that there were non-stops across the pond into BUD.

Let's fisk this from the start:

You question Delta airlines own website as a source of information? [emoji15]. I always go right to the source first, but I also used Kayak, Orbitz, Expedia and Google flights to see what they would turn up.

If I searched for flights from JFK to BUD I kept getting routings through CDG not AMS (or Milan or Spain or Portugal). I don’t particularly want to go through CDG. I don’t like the things I’ve heard about switching planes there.

Amazingly, I find routings on the DL website for AMS and CDG and FCO routings. But since you don't bother to provide actual travel dates, it's tough to be sure we're looking at the same time frame.

If I changed the search parameters to JFK to AMS I found that Delta DOES have direct flights to AMS
And, if you go back to your first post, you wrote: "I can no longer find any Delta flights to Amsterdam - ugh! So I guess there always were the flights.

Our return flight will be from AMS so I need to make sure I could get a direct, non-stop flight back home.
And by doing so, you restrict your options.

My flight from EWR from last year seems to have vanished. I guess they dropped the route. It’s getting to be United, United, United out of there any more. They really have that airport pretty much locked up. And they always seem much more expensive.
Again, if you had really researched, you would know that DL is withdrawing from EWR (a UA hub) in favor of flights from their own hub at JFK. And schedule and route changes are a fact of life in the industry.

And I had no intention of buying one round-trip ticket JFK-AMS-JFK and a separate one for AMS-BUD. I started with entering JFK to BUD but I was getting all sorts of crazy routings with multiple stops through Detroit and Minneapolis coming up first. Their search algorithms need work. Used to be you could specify the number of stops in the first group of parameters, but if you still can, I couldn’t find it - and I looked.
First off, you didn't specify your plans, just that you wanted to go through AMS on the outbound. Who knew why?

As for the search algorithms, they tend to show the fastest and cheapest options towards the top of the display. On behalf of Delta IT, I apologize for it not meeting your standards.

The whole purpose of my post was to get FIRST HAND reports from people who have flown these other airlines in business/first, and hopefully recommendations. CC is only one of my information sources, but one that I have always found to be pretty good.
OK. If you want an excellent business experience, fly on an Emirates A380 out of JFK. You can connect in DXB onward to BUD. You can take them back from AMS as well. The new AF business class is also quite nice.

Lufthansa or SwissAir through Munich and Zurich respectively are possibilities if I can get return flights direct from Amsterdam, and if I can hear from people who have experienced them.
LH would route you through FRA or MUC and Swiss through ZRH. So no "direct" flights. Again, by putting in that restriction, you are limiting your choices.

I don’t want to spend that kind of money on an airline I have little knowledge of. I’m not fond of buying a pig in a poke
Then just fly an airline you have personal experience with and have been happy with in the past. Otherwise, anything else would be a PIAP.

I want to gather my own info before I discuss flights with her so we can have an intelligent conversation.
Then spend an hour or two pouring over what you can find from ITA.

After paging through pages of possible flights with crazy routings (if I wanted a crazy routings at odd hours I’d let Viking pick the flights [emoji13]), I finally found a flight that fits my parameters, but I’d still like to see if there might be something else I do like options.
Take it. I doubt if anything else would please you more. And I'm glad you found something.

TIA to anyone willing to share their experiences.
I have shared. And more.

As a SI based traveler, I much prefer EWR over JFK. But I have found that Philadelphia works too. I've driven to PHL and found a very reasonable park and ride there, they drive you to the airport in YOUR vehicle, and pick you up the same way.

Found JFK not worth the trouble for me anyway.

OK. If you want an excellent business experience, fly on an Emirates A380 out of JFK. You can connect in DXB onward to BUD. You can take them back from AMS as well. The new AF business class is also quite nice.

Or just accept a connection in each direction rather than just one, fly from JFK to Frankfurt on Singapore Airlines' A380, connect through to BUD and from AMS on one way tickets (both very short flights on Lufthansa) before and after your cruise, and save roughly a thousand bucks over the DL/KL openjaw (pricing for late August - mid-September).

new-busineess-class.jpg

Or just accept a connection in each direction rather than just one, fly from JFK to Frankfurt on Singapore Airlines' A380, connect through to BUD and from AMS on one way tickets (both very short flights on Lufthansa) before and after your cruise, and save roughly a thousand bucks over the DL/KL openjaw (pricing for late August - mid-September).

new-busineess-class.jpg

Another superb option. "But it's not direct!!"

Lots of reasons, but it is more and more apparent that what you want is to fly non-stop as much as possible AND make it from either JFK or EWR.

First off, direct does not mean the same thing as non-stop. But let's assume that's what you mean.

Philadelphia is a "major hub" as well - perhaps more of a hub than JFK (which has a lot of O/D traffic), as that is the primary transatlantic gateway for American Airlines. Further, the non-stop flights to BUD start in May of 2018 and run in September. And yes, JFK will have one as well on LOT, also starting in May.

So if you had really done research, you'd know that there were non-stops across the pond into BUD.

Yes, but the only one is Lot and that hasn’t even started yet and it’s only 3 days a week unless I want to fly to Chicago.

You know, I’m not stupid and I have done my research. I’m not considering Lot. Please don’t talk down to me like I’m some sort of babe in the woods.

I know that non-stop and direct doesn’t mean the same thing to the airlines. But it’s kind of hard to change planes if you don’t stop. And I assume they use a different dictionary than I do because mine defines direct as “extending or moving from one place to another by the shortest way without changing direction or stopping."

Moving on...

Sorry, I think it’s ridiculous to take a train with luggage to Philadelphia when I’m close to both JFK and EWR. And I’ve traveled on Amtrak to Philadelphia several times - it’s not quick and you have to change trains to get to the airport.

I’m not opposed to changing planes. I never said that. Would I like to fly direct, non-stop? Sure. But I’m not schlepping luggage on 2 trains in order to do it. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Anyway once again. I AM NOT looking for someone to find me flights. I dislike the process but I’m perfectly capable of doing it. And I also have a TA.

The purpose of my post was to get opinions about the business/first accommodations on some airlines that I’m not familiar with. The other was just background - not a question.

You know what - never mind. I’ll find the answers to my question elsewhere if you are all going to be so snarky

Don't take it personally. Flyer Talker has to let people on this board know on a regular basis that he knows more than anyone else about all things flying. (Hence the screen name.) Sometimes I wonder if he doesn't break the Cruise Critic rules, but I guess it's more a matter of flaunting them but not breaking them. ;p;)

JMHO: I've had a "direct" flight from SLC to BCN. One flight number. Surprise! It DID stop in JFK and we changed planes...

If you found something with all your needs & restrictions, book it now. I really doubt someone will come up with something that you will take instead of your findings.

If you were really interested in that First Class experience, I'd do what was suggested on Singapore, doing the JFK-FRA, FRA-JFK in their First Class suite on the 380. Had 1 friends who did that 2 months ago - they said it was incredible. From FRA, you could easily get a cheapie to/from AMS/BUD.

If you want people breaking the CC rules, go over to HAL - personal attacks are overt and done with impunity by certain members. If you want "sunshine and unicorns" types of answers to your flight questions, please do NOT go to the Flyer Talk website (no, not run by FlyerTalker, but a real and excellent CC-like website)!!! If you do not have a thick skin, you will be eaten alive!!! BUT, if you are willing to take the usual FT abuse, the people on that site could help you with some options. If you want all Delta, go to the Delta forum, but don't mention how they've left EWR and all that's there is United - they won't care...

Edited by slidergirl

We flew to BUD in 2016. At that time there was no nonstop. So the question is where to connect? I have to say connecting at Vienna was painless! Our plans were slightly different but we used Austrian Air JFK to BUD. Then Lufthansa Home from Munich. Austrian Air and Lufthansa in same alliance. Point is consider using Vienna instead of CDG

The purpose of my post was to get opinions about the business/first accommodations on some airlines that I’m not familiar with. The other was just background - not a question.

And when you post "background" that is both superfluous and inaccurate, it calls the whole post into question.

Things would have been so much easier with a simple "Can folks please provide some personal experiences and opinions on transatlantic business and first flights?" But instead, we got this exact quote: "what are my options for flights to Budapest and back from Amsterdam?

Looking for people who have done this route, preferably in business/first. Our last flight was in Delta One, so we are looking for a similar level of service. Can anyone make recommendations, so I can go to my TA with knowledgeable questions? By NJ/NY I am referring to EWR or JFK with EWR being our preferred airport.

Delta still has nonstop flights to AMS from ATL, JFK and DTW. EWR isn't a Delta hub so if you want to fly DL, you'll need to decide whether it's more important to fly out of EWR or fly nonstop.