Tour Operator or On Your Own for Iguaza Falls

mfabz

Sailing on Celebrity Eclipse in January of 2019 from Valpariaso to Buenos Aires with overnight in BA. Would like to do Falls after cruise. For anyone who has done this, did you use a tour operator or on your own? Were you able to leave the ship early to make an early plane? What tour operator did you use? How many days did you stay?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We went to Iguazu Falls before our cruise in 2011. It is truly amazing and well worth visiting. I still think it is one of the amazing natural wonders we have seen; and we have been to a lot of places. We did it on our own and had no need for a guide. By staying at the Sheraton, we could easily walk to the falls whenever we wanted to. We spent 2 nights there and saw everything I wanted to see; but I could have spent a little more time there. You can see lots of photos from our visit in our review on our website that is linked to in my signature.

Sheraton Iguazu is now Melia Iguazu. Whatever it’s called, I agree it is a great place to stay for a short visit. It’s expensive but oh, so convenient.

I also agree it’s an easy do it yourself trip from BA and that two nights is sufficient.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did our own. Flew up in the early afternoon. Stayed in town for two nights. We did not use a tour guide for the falls....you really do not need one. It was one of the highlights of our extended trip. We did not visit the Brazil side of the falls. We arranged our own air directly by calling the Aerolineas call centre in BA. The flights were less expensive than booking on line in North America.

I booked the flights from BA to Iguazu Puerto with Latam Airlines for next January - no problem booking on their website.

Following disembarkation in Buenos Aires we took a cab to the domestic airport flew with LAN (now LATAM) to Puerto Iguazu booked a hotel (Cataratas) near the front gate to the Argentinian side of the Falls, stayed overnight, toured the Falls on our own the following day (including the upper and lower walks and the large 30+passenger zodiac boat to the base of the Falls), returned to the hotel for a second night and caught a cab back to the airport. Enjoyed two very special dinners at Aqva in town and saved close to $2500 over what the cruise line was charging for their post cruise excursion to Iguazu.

Edited by boomerone
sp

We scoffed at the cruise line pirce. We did not even consider it. We are fairly independent travellers and were spending time in Uruguay on our own prior to going to BA. We don't mind paying but not for something that we can very easily do on our own. There is absolutely no need for a guide. Language was not issue.

We quite happy that we did not stay at the Sheraton in the Park. We considered it. It is convenient for the park however we preferred to be in town close to the restaurants and stores.. Our preference was to stay in town. We had two really good meals in town at two very different places. The bus to the falls was three blocks for our hotel (Jardin) and that worked out well.

This is a real easy DIY excursion. Stayed at the Sheraton. Yes it was a bit costly but worth it The view at dawn from balcony was glorious. After noon checkout you can have them hold luggage and use the fitness center showers late afternoon before heading back to the airport for a evening flight back to BA.

• 2 weeks later...

It is much too far to walk into town. Perhaps five miles or more. You are closer to the airport than to the town. There is a good bus service from town to the falls however to the best of my knowledge there is no evening service. I believe cab would be your only option.

This is why we decided to stay in town for our two nights.

We arranged our private tour to the Falls with doBraziright. Their private service above and beyond our expectations. We were able to explore the Falls on our own. The driver dropped us off and picked us up at a arranged time. Which was fine with us since we really didn't want or need a guide. The hotels were first rate. They also arrange our stay in Rio and all the transportation that involved. Because of a historic storm we weren't able to go to Christ Redeemer statue as scheduled. The owner sent a private car the next day early without extra charge to take us to see it on the way to the ship. Their prices beat anyone I had been in contact with by far.

You will read a posting someone has regarding this company and carnival on this website but if you continue to research this topic you will find the a logical explanation from the owner of doBrazilright.

You will find this company total professional and will feel safe dealing with them. They are totally reliable, and quick to respond to your emails.

Is there a bus or is it close enough to walk from the Sheraton (Melia) in to town? I have reservations and am considering trying dinner in town one night.

I have stayed at the Sheraton (Melia) three times and in town three or four times over the years. I have worked out a routine I am happy with. Eat lunch in the park. There are a number of options from fast food to a buffet. I usually stay two nights. One night I eat in....I tried the restaurant once but found it over priced. The other two times I ordered a bottle of Malbec from the bar along with a personal pizza or picada ( a snack with crackers, cheese, ham, salami, nuts and chips) and nibbled while sipping Malbec and enjoying the view.

The other night I go into town. I have just taken a taxi rather than the bus but either will work. You do not want to walk though. It’s quite a distance from town.

I have tried la Rueda which is kind of upscale and Pizza Parrilla Color, a more relaxed Argentine restaurant with entertainment on the weekends. Seating is either inside or outdoors. Good food, good service, reasonable prices, passable local talent. Insider tip: the band sounded much better as our group was finishing the second bottle of Malbec.

We also are on that same cruise, staying at the Hotel Das Cataratas for 3 nights following. Our plan is to visit both sides while there. I'm doing research now as far which airport to use, transportation from airport to hotel, and how to get to the Argentinian side. I'm sure it will all make sense at some point! Lol

My comments above refer to the Sheraton inside the park, on the Argentine side.

Thanks. I assumed it did due to context and some of your previous posts. I’m staying at the (former) Sheraton in Argentina. It was recently announced it was sold to Melia.

I have stayed at the Sheraton (Melia) three times and in town three or four times over the years. I have worked out a routine I am happy with. Eat lunch in the park. There are a number of options from fast food to a buffet. I usually stay two nights. One night I eat in....I tried the restaurant once but found it over priced. The other two times I ordered a bottle of Malbec from the bar along with a personal pizza or picada ( a snack with crackers, cheese, ham, salami, nuts and chips) and nibbled while sipping Malbec and enjoying the view.

The other night I go into town. I have just taken a taxi rather than the bus but either will work. You do not want to walk though. It’s quite a distance from town.

I have tried la Rueda which is kind of upscale and Pizza Parrilla Color, a more relaxed Argentine restaurant with entertainment on the weekends. Seating is either inside or outdoors. Good food, good service, reasonable prices, passable local talent. Insider tip: the band sounded much better as our group was finishing the second bottle of Malbec.

Thanks! I’ll take this info in my notes. A small pizza and a small glass of Malbec would be fine. For 1 or 2 nights. But I’m there for 3 nights so will try town.

We booked with Buenos-aires-tours (discover Uruguay is the parent company). We will stay 2 nights at the Sheraton (Melia) and will get a tour of the falls (included the boat that goes under the falls) and they will also transfer us to and from the town if we want dinner that night. Since we are sailing from BA, it also includes 2 nights in BA with a tour and a tango/dinner show.

• 5 weeks later...
We went to Iguazu Falls before our cruise in 2011. It is truly amazing and well worth visiting. I still think it is one of the amazing natural wonders we have seen; and we have been to a lot of places. We did it on our own and had no need for a guide. By staying at the Sheraton, we could easily walk to the falls whenever we wanted to. We spent 2 nights there and saw everything I wanted to see; but I could have spent a little more time there. You can see lots of photos from our visit in our review on our website that is linked to in my signature.

Wow! Thanks for sharing all the photo's and information.