Beagle Channel excursion

MVPinBoynton

Our cruise will be leaving Ushuaia at 1:00 PM; which means we will be cruising the Beagle Channel on our way to Punta Arenas. A lot of people recommend doing a Beagle Channel excursion while in Ushuaia. Do those excursions take the same route as the ship? Do they go somewhere that can't be seen from the ship when it leaves port?

• 2 weeks later...
Our cruise will be leaving Ushuaia at 1:00 PM; which means we will be cruising the Beagle Channel on our way to Punta Arenas. A lot of people recommend doing a Beagle Channel excursion while in Ushuaia. Do those excursions take the same route as the ship? Do they go somewhere that can't be seen from the ship when it leaves port?

The small-vessel excursions in the Beagle Channel go primarily to the east, which would be the direction from which your ship presumably will approach Ushuaia early in the morning. (When the ship leaves Ushuaia for Punta Arenas, you will depart to the west.) In any case, the local small-vessel excursions bring people very close to several small islands with many seabirds and pinnipeds, providing far better views of those than you would obtain from the ship. So if seeing or photographing the wildlife is a major interest for you, then you definitely should take a small-vessel excursion. If not, I would still recommend the small vessel, but the advantages may not be as notable as they are for wildlife enthusiasts. The distant mountainous scenery can be viewed and photographed from the ship as well as the smaller vessels.

In any case, Ushuaia is one of our favourite port stops -- we have been there 3 times. Be prepared for the unpredictable weather!

John

The small-vessel excursions in the Beagle Channel go primarily to the east, which would be the direction from which your ship presumably will approach Ushuaia early in the morning. (When the ship leaves Ushuaia for Punta Arenas, you will depart to the west.) In any case, the local small-vessel excursions bring people very close to several small islands with many seabirds and pinnipeds, providing far better views of those than you would obtain from the ship. So if seeing or photographing the wildlife is a major interest for you, then you definitely should take a small-vessel excursion. If not, I would still recommend the small vessel, but the advantages may not be as notable as they are for wildlife enthusiasts. The distant mountainous scenery can be viewed and photographed from the ship as well as the smaller vessels.

In any case, Ushuaia is one of our favourite port stops -- we have been there 3 times. Be prepared for the unpredictable weather!

John

Thanks so much for the info. We loved Ushuaia and the Tierra del Fuego park our first time there. Unfortunately, we are only there until 1:00 PM, so longer excursions don't make sense this time. The channel excursion does sound nice.

Should a Beagle Channel cruise be booked ahead of time, or are there vendors selling tours when you exit the ship? I would prefer to see if the weather is decent before booking an excursion like this.

During both port calls when one or both of us took a small-vessel cruise in Beagle Channel, we were on a prebooked ship's tour. However, I understand that many visitors use independent operators at Ushuaia, either prebooked or purchased "on the spot". The boats tie up within a short walk of the base of the pier where cruise ships (or their tenders) dock.

My first local boat trip at Ushuaia was on a day with very strong wind along the Beagle Channel, and considerable rain. Many people spent most or all of the cruise inside the boat looking out through rain-obscured large windows--not very satisfactory. However, a few of us who had full rain gear spent much of the time outside on the rear of the boat -- somewhat sheltered behind the enclosed area and with a much better view. Had a great time viewing the birds and pinnipeds and close-up scenery.

Because the boats get close to the small islands with the birds and seals, degraded visibility during wet weather did not interfere too much with viewing. However, in those conditions, one really needed to be well prepared for wet, windy and cool weather. Otherwise, on a poor-weather day it would (I think) make more sense to remain ashore.

John

During both port calls when one or both of us took a small-vessel cruise in Beagle Channel, we were on a prebooked ship's tour. However, I understand that many visitors use independent operators at Ushuaia, either prebooked or purchased "on the spot". The boats tie up within a short walk of the base of the pier where cruise ships (or their tenders) dock.

My first local boat trip at Ushuaia was on a day with very strong wind along the Beagle Channel, and considerable rain. Many people spent most or all of the cruise inside the boat looking out through rain-obscured large windows--not very satisfactory. However, a few of us who had full rain gear spent much of the time outside on the rear of the boat -- somewhat sheltered behind the enclosed area and with a much better view. Had a great time viewing the birds and pinnipeds and close-up scenery.

Because the boats get close to the small islands with the birds and seals, degraded visibility during wet weather did not interfere too much with viewing. However, in those conditions, one really needed to be well prepared for wet, windy and cool weather. Otherwise, on a poor-weather day it would (I think) make more sense to remain ashore.

John

Thanks John. Makes sense to me and glad to know that if I decide to do it, I can wait to see what the weather looks like. Since we will be on the ship for 7 days at sea and touring Antarctica, we might just want to stay on land for a while anyway. :D

We pre-booked a private penguin tour which was great. It started from the street just near the end of the jetty. We went in a mini-bus for about an hour, then on a boat to an island where we could walk among Gentoo and Megallanic penguins. We were told to keep at least a metre from them and had to walk along a path - but no- one told the penguins they had to stay away from us. The Gentoo penguins were very curious and waddled pretty close to us.

We then went back from the island and had the opportunity to go into a little marine life museum which had exhibits of whale and shark bones, before heading off back to Ushiaia. It was an excellent tour and much cheaper than the ship's tours. I can't remember the name of the tour company, but I found them easily on-line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Is there anything interesting to see ashore in the town itself? Is it a waste of this port to stay in town or better to venture further out? If the town is interesting and nice, it won't be a waste of time, but if it is a dump, then better to be organised and do something.

• 2 weeks later...

John

Hi John,

We are due in Ushuaia on Jan 23, 2018...in port from 12pm-8pm, The private tour operator has a tours at 10 and 3...saying it lasts about 3.5-4 hours, getting back to the cruise port at 7.If our ship leaves at 8, do you think 7 i s ok to return to port? This is the only excursion that is close to the embarkation time. I did not have any problems with the other ones (e.g., Europe ones). I also recall other passengers walking up the gangway 30 minutes (or even shorter!) on other cruises. Thoughts?

Louise

Beagle Channel Tour operators WANTED

Please refer to my previous post...although I am looking at one tour operator, does any one know of othersÉ I have heard about ThumbsUp, but havent heard back from them yet. Also, thoughts about the timing of the return tripÉ . Two of the companies have 10 am and 3 pm tours, lasting appr 3.5 hours.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Louise

I wish I could give you a precise answer about this tour operator and port, but I have not yet been there and have not used this operator. At the same time, we have taken private tours in almost every stop on every cruise, and there has never been a problem getting back in time. The private tour operators' reputations are critical to them, and missing a ship would be the ultimate no-no! They tend to know the ships' schedules as well as or better than the cruise lines themselves. While people are occasionally late getting back, you will find that they are people that were off on their own and did not pay attention to the time. I have never been late getting back, have never been close to late to even worry about it, and have never heard of a single private tour operator that got back late.

If you are still a bit worried, talk to the tour operator and get his assurance that you will be back on time, but IMHO it is unnecessary.

We really prefer private tours everywhere we go.

• 5 months later...

We have just returned from our cruise. Our stop in Ushuaia was one of the best ports we've ever been to. We were there from 12- 8. If you don't want to preplan or prebook anything, it is not a problem. We waited till we got there as we were looking at the weather on the day. Your choices at Ushuaia:

1. Some people went on the End of the World train. I suggest you prebook that online. You'll have to take a 20 mins taxi ride there and you don't really want to do that if you don't have tickets in case they are sold out. I think when we were there the ship's excursion might have had a special train just for them. Not sure.

2. There are lots and lots of people at the dock selling tours. 4 hrs etc. Taxis/guides that will take you to the Tierra del Fuego, so it depends if you want to explore that region and do some trekking. You can always negotiate a car, and you can always team up with other people and it will work out cheaper. It wasn't expensive.

3. Just outside the dock, turn right, and all the boat trips are there! This was what we did in the end. We used Patagonia Adventures (they were more or less the first one you get to when you come out of the port on the right). They are highly rated in TA and we had an amazing time with them. Boat trip that day was 3-7, 4 hours in a small boat (14 of us but it could have taken more), and we went as far as the lighthouse. On the way we were up close to cormorants, sea lions, and on the way back too. A lot of them. Also landed in an island near Ushuaia and we trekked up to the top of the hill and had amazing views. No other boat could do that.

We didn't book this in advance, obviously due to the unpredictable weather. I'd emailed them before I left but didn't book. When I got there, we really were undecided what to do, but decided on this and it was absolutely amazing. If it is a very wet and windy day, I wouldn't recommend it. Ushuaia is a really nice place itself. We had time before the boat trip to walk around the town, do some souvenir shopping and even have lunch (King crab - delicious).

Loved Ushuaia. If anyone has any questions, happy to help.

Thanksalot. Your review is very helpful. Did you take tours at the other ports or walk in the towns?

Did you see penguins? I'd like to see them but am confused as to the best port. One time to see them is fine.

Also at Ushuaia, is there time to take a tour and also walk the town?

Thanksalot. Your review is very helpful. Did you take tours at the other ports or walk in the towns?

Did you see penguins? I'd like to see them but am confused as to the best port. One time to see them is fine.

Also at Ushuaia, is there time to take a tour and also walk the town?

What ports are you visiting? Are you precruise in Santiago? If you let me know what ports you are visiting I can tell you more.

In Ushuaia, we arrived at 12 and came off the ship at 12.30. By the time we decided what to do and booked the boat it was 1pm. We had 2 hours to walk around and eat before 3 when the boat left. It's all walkable. Up one small road, then the whole long road of shops at the T junction. The crab restaurant was on the right, lots of souveniers everywhere.

If you do the Tierra del Feugo, I guess you go right away with the driver, and depending on how long your tour is, and when your ship leaves, then you might have time. We were there on a Sunday and lots of things were open.

We saw penguins in Falklands. But if you're not going there, let me know your ports and I can give you more details. If you don't want to post here, please feel free to email me khooi@hotmail.co.uk

Happy to help. It's so scenic on this cruise, we just want everyone else to enjoy it like we did and not make the same mistakes!

3. Just outside the dock, turn right, and all the boat trips are there! This was what we did in the end. We used Patagonia Adventures (they were more or less the first one you get to when you come out of the port on the right). They are highly rated in TA and we had an amazing time with them.

We didn't book this in advance, obviously due to the unpredictable weather. I'd emailed them before I left but didn't book.

I can second the Pagatonia Adventures recommendation. Last December we reserved the Beagle Channel Boat excursion in advance but the day we arrived the winds came up and the 3 pm cruise was cancelled - and justifiably so. We talked to folks who were on the 2 pm ship's excursion and they had a miserable time with the waves and wind. Patagonia Adventures refunded everyone's fares on the spot and then organized a small van trip with driver and guide into the National Park for anyone who wanted a substitute excursion. It was a very nice excursion with an excellent guide and even cost less than the boat trip.

A number of us on Emerald Princess calling here on Feb. 20 have reserved with Patagonia Adventures for the 3:00 trip. I have sent a $50 deposit via paypal. I am assuming if the trip has to be cancelled due to weather a refund would be sent. I am happy to hear recent visitors to Ushuaia give this excursion positive notes.

• 6 years later...