Melbourne Cup 2018 - P&O or Carnival

Kyl099

We are looking at a Melbourne Cup cruise for next year - my questions to previous cup cruisers

1. Who did you cruise with, what was your experience - good, bad, indifferent, or freaking fantastic!

2. Why sort of pre racing workshops are onboard - eg I want to make a fascinator, Carnival state they do this but P&O tell me nothing

3. Any tips specific to this cruise do I need to know

Thank you in advance it is very much appreciated!

Sorry, no idea what happens on the ships.

However, you may wish to consider when they are in Melbourne and what you get to do here, including how much horse racing.

So, 2 P&O ships arrived Monday and left around 4pm Wednesday. Had the Cup on Tuesday and time for other tourist activities on the other days. The othe P&O arrived Tuesday morning for the Cup and left about 4 on Wednesday (that may have been the Brisbane ship).

Carnival arrived Tuesday morning for the Cup, Wednesday for touristing and Thursday for the Oaks. Saw it sail out about 7.30 last evening.

Our group of 8 did the 2015 Carnival Spirit Melb Cup cruise - it was 8N cruise & we really enjoyed it.

We arrived into Melb early Mon & departed Thu evening. Tickets to the Cup & Oaks Day were included - we paid extra for better seats (undercover) for Cup Day, but did use the included bus transfers to Flemington.

So we took a look around the city on Mon, all day at Cup on Tues, Gt Ocean Rd trip on Wed. On Thu, some went to races, others stayed on-board - it was terrible weather that day.

It was our first Carnival cruise and found it fine - we are regular RC cruisers, but enjoyed Spirit & we subsequently did a Pacific Islands cruise on Carnival Legend.

There were on-board activities to do with racing, including Johnny Tapp & Richie Callender's preview of the race etc - I don't recall any make a fascinator or similar, but was not looking out for something like that.

Can't comment on P&O as have never cruised with them.

We crossed 3 off of our bucket list on that trip:

- went to The Cup

- did a MCG tour

- did the Gt Ocean Rd

I rate our experience as 8 out of 10.

Sorry, no idea what happens on the ships.

However, you may wish to consider when they are in Melbourne and what you get to do here, including how much horse racing.

So, 2 P&O ships arrived Monday and left around 4pm Wednesday. Had the Cup on Tuesday and time for other tourist activities on the other days. The othe P&O arrived Tuesday morning for the Cup and left about 4 on Wednesday (that may have been the Brisbane ship).

Carnival arrived Tuesday morning for the Cup, Wednesday for touristing and Thursday for the Oaks. Saw it sail out about 7.30 last evening.

Thank you that is great info gives us timelines to work on for each ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our group of 8 did the 2015 Carnival Spirit Melb Cup cruise - it was 8N cruise & we really enjoyed it.

We arrived into Melb early Mon & departed Thu evening. Tickets to the Cup & Oaks Day were included - we paid extra for better seats (undercover) for Cup Day, but did use the included bus transfers to Flemington.

So we took a look around the city on Mon, all day at Cup on Tues, Gt Ocean Rd trip on Wed. On Thu, some went to races, others stayed on-board - it was terrible weather that day.

It was our first Carnival cruise and found it fine - we are regular RC cruisers, but enjoyed Spirit & we subsequently did a Pacific Islands cruise on Carnival Legend.

There were on-board activities to do with racing, including Johnny Tapp & Richie Callender's preview of the race etc - I don't recall any make a fascinator or similar, but was not looking out for something like that.

Can't comment on P&O as have never cruised with them.

We crossed 3 off of our bucket list on that trip:

- went to The Cup

- did a MCG tour

- did the Gt Ocean Rd

I rate our experience as 8 out of 10.

Sounds awesome! We are looking at similar thanks for your reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the same cruise as Mr Walker and would echo his comments. Loved the way Johnny Tapp and Richie Callender bounced off each other, they were better than a lot of ship entertainers we have seen over the years. We also paid extra for better seats at the Cup and would totally recommend this. Went to the parade in the city on the Monday, get the 109 tram from near the end of the wharf Hired a car and went to Phillip Island on the Wednesday. Didn't go to the Oaks on Thursday, so gave our tickets to our cabin steward. He took a friend and had a great time.

Have done this cruise with Carnival for the last 2 years. There is a fascinator making session. (there is a cost); they have had a fashion show on both cruises (no cost & gave away about 8 outfits), These where hosted by a lady from channel 7 week-ender tv show & a Melbourne fashion idenitity (very imformative).. The best was the Racing presentation. John Tapp & they had Larry Olsen (he has ridden the winner of the cup) Kensei on. they would tell stories for a hour & then go over each horses chances. They picked the winner in there 3 selections.

The other thing noticable was the lack of children on the cruise only 45 under 18, had a more classy feel to it. I spent my other days shopping, exploring, watching shows & enjoying Melbourne. Going for the 3rd time next year. Enjoy..