Oosterdam Retreat Cabana Wheelchair Access

510picker

Can anyone confirm that there is an elevator to access the Retreat Cabana area on the Oosterdam? I know they installed a small elevator intended for wheelchairs only on the Zuiderdam to access the area. The deck plans shown on HAL's website look the same for both ships, so I am hoping they did the same on the Oosterdam.

When we were on the Noordam, there was a note on the wall by the elevator -- ask at the Crow's Nest Bar for someone to take you up to the Cabanas -- elevator was locked and that is where they kept the key.

I use a Rollator and can not climb stairs. We went to the Crow's Nest as I wanted to look at the Cabanas -- bar was not open.

I made mention of this to lour concierge that some other way needs to be done for handicapped people to get to the Cabanas.

I don't know if the situation was ever changed.

When we were on the Noordam, there was a note on the wall by the elevator -- ask at the Crow's Nest Bar for someone to take you up to the Cabanas -- elevator was locked and that is where they kept the key.

I use a Rollator and can not climb stairs. We went to the Crow's Nest as I wanted to look at the Cabanas -- bar was not open.

I made mention of this to lour concierge that some other way needs to be done for handicapped people to get to the Cabanas.

I don't know if the situation was ever changed.

Thank you for that bit of information. Since this is a six day cruise, the cabanas can not be booked in advance. Ship services told me you can only book them in advance on cruises of at least 7 days, which seems absurd. I plan to head to the front desk as soon as I board to book and will discuss this with them. If I can't freely access the cabanas as I wish, I may not book them.

My wife and I love the cabana areas on the Eurodam and NA. We don't take excursions due to my wheelchair, so the ship is our vacation and the money spent on the cabana is how we splurge.

Thank you for that bit of information. Since this is a six day cruise, the cabanas can not be booked in advance. Ship services told me you can only book them in advance on cruises of at least 7 days, which seems absurd. I plan to head to the front desk as soon as I board to book and will discuss this with them. If I can't freely access the cabanas as I wish, I may not book them.

My wife and I love the cabana areas on the Eurodam and NA. We don't take excursions due to my wheelchair, so the ship is our vacation and the money spent on the cabana is how we splurge.

You can book in advance but only for the whole length of the cruise. If you want to only do a day or two you have to wait until you board. :D

You can book in advance but only for the whole length of the cruise. If you want to only do a day or two you have to wait until you board. :D

According to Ship Services, not on a cruise of less than 7 days. This cruise is 6 days and they said the cabanas can not be rented for the entire week until we got onboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up on my original post. There is a small elevator to access the Retreat Cabana area in my wheelchair. The elevator always was available without having to see anyone at the Crow's Nest Bar. The cabanas are larger than those we had in the past on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, but they also are more expensive.

Just following up on my original post. There is a small elevator to access the Retreat Cabana area in my wheelchair. The elevator always was available without having to see anyone at the Crow's Nest Bar. The cabanas are larger than those we had in the past on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, but they also are more expensive.

The Oosterdam cabanas were more expensive at one time but they have raised the prices of all cabanas to match the price on the Oosterdam.

See post # 23 on this thread to see 2017 pricing

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2533554&page=2&highlight=Cabana

Edited by Florida_gal_50

Is the furniture still the same that I've seen in photos - the squarish "rattan" modular pieces inside the cabana? No little dining table and chairs like on Eurodam?