St Martin and St Kitts

tncruisergurl

In St.Maarten, you have Great Bay Beach which is a walk or a short ferry ride from the crusie terminal. It is a very nice beach, and there are many places to rent chairs if you want to, or you can just lay your towel down. Since the beach is right in town, you can go and get food whenever you want, and it will be easy to find bathrooms somewhere. There are many other nicer beaches on the island (Grand Case being my favorite), but they involve taxis, which can get expensive.

In St.Kitts, I am not sure of any beach within walking distance of the ship. When I went, I went to Frigate Bay Beach, and we found it to be enjoyable. We rented chairs from the VIbes Beach Bar, but again, feel free to just lay a towel down. I cannot think of how much a taxi will cost you each way to get there, but I cannot imagine that you will have to spend too much money.

Both of those islands are great, and St.Maarten is actually my favorite island of all the ones I've been to. You will surely enjoy you port stops at both! :)

we didn't go to the beach in St Maarten, you could look in these boards for the port and I am sure there would be great beach info. I do know that Orient Beach is a topless beach on the French side of the island.

The majority of the buildings and beachside bars were destroyed at Orient in the hurricane.

We did island tours at both ports. In St. Maarten we used Amigo Tours and saw both sides of the island. On St. Kitts we did an island tour with Thenford Grey Tours/Grey's Island Excursions. We had Mr. Grey himself as our guide. His knowledge of the island was amazing. And if you closed your eyes, it sounded like Morgan Freeman was showing you around.

There is a free beach at St Maarten, within walking distance (or a short water taxi), but have not heard about since the hurricane. In St kitts, you can go to Timothy beach why is free and not very far.

In St Kitts we went to Cockleshell beach. ($7 pp) I wasn't impressed.

We wanted to go to Frigate or Friors but our driver told us that they were messed up from the hurricane. ($4 pp).

We found out that what the driver told us wasn't true.

Bill

I’ve never been to either of these ports. We are going in March. What should we do? We have a 2 year old granddaughter that will be with us.Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try the ports of call boards as they tend to have tour reviews for these islands.

I can tell you when we visited St. Maarten in 2009, we much preferred the Dutch side over the French side. We did a tour on scooters/ATV's though and drove around the entire island. Never been to St. Kitts/Nevis, but it is on a bucket list to go there for a week.

Both of these ports will open back up in January. We are heading to both on our January cruise. I would wait until a couple of ships have visited there and then check the reviews. You'll have a better idea of the condition of the beaches and other activities. Also, Orient Beach has two sides... to the left is a 'normal' beach, and to the right it is a nude beach. There is a huge sign reminding you, so no worries.

Both of these ports will open back up in January. We are heading to both on our January cruise. I would wait until a couple of ships have visited there and then check the reviews. You'll have a better idea of the condition of the beaches and other activities. Also, Orient Beach has two sides... to the left is a 'normal' beach, and to the right it is a nude beach. There is a huge sign reminding you, so no worries.

I am not sure about St. Maarten but St. Kitts has been open. They had 7 ships in port last Friday.

St Martin was devastated. Orient Beach is gone, rubble. Simpson Bay Resort will not open until April. I'm pretty sure shore excursions will be severely limited January. The boat yard (dry dock) I kept my boat at is also gone, most of the boats were on their side. St. Thomas, San Juan, BVI, St. John and St.Martin were hit very hard. Even though the ship is stopping at some of these ports, I would not set your expectations too high.

St Martin was devastated. Orient Beach is gone, rubble. Simpson Bay Resort will not open until April. I'm pretty sure shore excursions will be severely limited January. The boat yard (dry dock) I kept my boat at is also gone, most of the boats were on their side. St. Thomas, San Juan, BVI, St. John and St.Martin were hit very hard. Even though the ship is stopping at some of these ports, I would not set your expectations too high.

I was afraid this would be the news. I guess those looking for the butterfly farm should take note as it's in the same area.