Info on Great Bay Beach

chrcruiser

• 4 weeks later...

There is a hotel called Holland House that has a nice restaurant on the beach. They are accepting of cruisers who want to sit on their beach and order beer, etc. The water quality, however, is reported to be more polluted here than other areas due to waste treatment runoff from a nearby marsh.

• 5 months later...
Swam/waded/floated in this water many times and have not seen anything that would stir me away from this area in Great Bay. We will be visiting St Maarten again next week and will have a better insight of the condition of the beautiful island.

Is there still pollution within the Great Bay Beach area?

We had a fabulous day at the Holland House last week and the water was simply gorgeous. Had no worries at all going in and enjoying the water.

Good to hear! We're also considering the Holland House. Do you have to pre-book the chairs and umbrellas, or just show up? What's the cost of the chairs and umbrellas? Do they have restrooms to use?

Thanks for the help!

You do not have to reserve ahead but I'd get there early if possible as there chairs go quickly. Two chairs, one umbrella, 4 drinks, yes to bathrooms, yes to free internet, and a shower to use to wash off before heading back to the ship. Their chair pads are really thick too. Cost is $25 while others run at $20 but don't have all the amenities or quality chair pads. Lazy Lizard is really good and if can go without showers, that would be my second choice. We'll be staying at the HillNd House next month - ❤️ it there

Great Bay beach is known to have water pollution issues. This is especially apparent after rain as it is an overflow of a retention pond that causes the sewage water to enter the beach. There was a plan to divert this water out further into the ocean but I have not heard any update on this post Irma.

You do not have to reserve ahead but I'd get there early if possible as there chairs go quickly. Two chairs, one umbrella, 4 drinks, yes to bathrooms, yes to free internet, and a shower to use to wash off before heading back to the ship. Their chair pads are really thick too. Cost is $25 while others run at $20 but don't have all the amenities or quality chair pads. Lazy Lizard is really good and if can go without showers, that would be my second choice. We'll be staying at the HillNd House next month - ❤️ it there

Thanks for all the info! :cool:

Great Bay beach is known to have water pollution issues. This is especially apparent after rain as it is an overflow of a retention pond that causes the sewage water to enter the beach. There was a plan to divert this water out further into the ocean but I have not heard any update on this post Irma.

Oh, this makes sense. I love the idea of convenience but hate the idea of pollution. We have just under a year before our visit, so I'll be following this topic closely.

• 5 weeks later...
There is a hotel called Holland House that has a nice restaurant on the beach. They are accepting of cruisers who want to sit on their beach and order beer, etc. The water quality, however, is reported to be more polluted here than other areas due to waste treatment runoff from a nearby marsh.

We swim in that water all the time when visiting and not once have we had an issue. We'll be there this month staying at the HH and have no worries about the water what so ever....

We swim in that water all the time when visiting and not once have we had an issue. We'll be there this month staying at the HH and have no worries about the water what so ever....

Good to know. I would love to hear about your visit when you return. We're hoping there's jet ski rentals right there along the beach. Safe travels.

Good to know. I would love to hear about your visit when you return. We're hoping there's jet ski rentals right there along the beach. Safe travels.

Yes, the jet ski rentals and banana boat rides are right next to the HH. Can't miss them.

You can see this beach from the ship. You can walk to it in 20 minutes or so, or take a water taxi from a dock not far from the ship.

Is the walk from terminal to Great Bay beach safe? As in a walkable sidewalk that can accomodate a stroller?

• 2 months later...