United Economy Plus Seats

iancal

I am about to push the button and upgrade our economy seats on a UA1 SFO-SIN flight in Jan. We have only ever flown business or economy. This is a long flight. We usually fly ANA to Bangkok in economy with no issue however this is a nonstop flight-much longer elapsed time on board one aircraft.

My question is what is the incremental seat pitch? Any other benefits? Checked on flyertalk but could not seem to get this data...could be an rtfm issue. Thanks

Have you checked Seat Guru? They list seat pitch by airline and aircraft type so you will need to check our ticket to determine what equipment is scheduled for your flight. Keep in mind that United's offering is NOT Premium Economy like most non-domestic airlines - you are only buying a few more inches of pitch.

I am about to push the button and upgrade our economy seats on a UA1 SFO-SIN flight in Jan. We have only ever flown business or economy. This is a long flight. We usually fly ANA to Bangkok in economy with no issue however this is a nonstop flight-much longer elapsed time on board one aircraft.

My question is what is the incremental seat pitch? Any other benefits? Checked on flyertalk but could not seem to get this data...could be an rtfm issue. Thanks

On the 787s, 35 inches v. 32 inches in regular coach. You also do better in terms of UA's frequent flyer program - more qualifying dollars toward elite status.

Don't know what prices you're seeing (or if you've already bought the tickets) but you might have a look at EVA Air's true Premium Economy product. (EVA is based in Taiwan and you'd change planes there.) It's priced pretty competitively with what I assume you'd pay for E+ on United, but instead of a 17" wide seat with 35" of legroom, you'd get a 19" wide seat with 38", and enhanced meals and in-flight experience. Just sayin'.

Thanks. We booked YYC-SIN, MNL-YYC for Jan-March trip. Booked in June for $575 USD. Booking this early is very unusual for us but this price was much more attractive than we have paid on previous flights. Usually we are 30-60 days out, sometimes closer.

Have not upgraded yet. Will take a look. We would prefer EVA over UA but it was not an option when we orginally booked. We are where we are so to speak. UA want $167 USD to upgade this one segment.

Just jointed the UA Mileage Plus. Up to now we have been on Aeroplan but we are punting it because of the unbelievably high charges associated with points redemption on AC and Lufthansa. The latter being a favourite of ours. Last winter we went to South Ameirica. Points ticket flying AC was $850. Cad each. Could have bought a ticket for $1075 CAD. Points ticket on UA/Copa metal was $225 Cad each.

One more question....do these upgrade prices fluctuate in a similar fashion to air fares?

Have not upgraded yet. Will take a look. We would prefer EVA over UA but it was not an option when we orginally booked. We are where we are so to speak. UA want $167 USD to upgade this one segment.

.One more question....do these upgrade prices fluctuate in a similar fashion to air fares?

E+ is not considered an "upgrade." Prices are pretty much the same; they will be different depending on the seat location.

You get nothing but extra seat pitch. When I got E+ free it was great, but have lost my status and I refuse to pay for it.

Thanks. We booked YYC-SIN, MNL-YYC for Jan-March trip. Booked in June for $575 USD. Booking this early is very unusual for us but this price was much more attractive than we have paid on previous flights. Usually we are 30-60 days out, sometimes closer.

Just jointed the UA Mileage Plus. Up to now we have been on Aeroplan but we are punting it because of the unbelievably high charges associated with points redemption on AC and Lufthansa. The latter being a favourite of ours. Last winter we went to South Ameirica. Points ticket flying AC was $850. Cad each. Could have bought a ticket for $1075 CAD. Points ticket on UA/Copa metal was $225 Cad each.

One more question....do these upgrade prices fluctuate in a similar fashion to air fares?

Aeroplan is becoming difficult to make work all around. Air Canada also announced a plan to dump Aeroplan and creating their own loyalty program in a few years.

Air Canada, ANA and EVA have true Premium Economy. United premium product does not compare.

I have done EVA out of Vancouver. At first it sounds like a crappy time for a flight, but it I have found it is great. The aircraft leaves Vancouver between 10:00 pm and midnight. The secret (at least for me) is stay up all day so your tired by the time you get on. You get a bit of sleep on the aircraft. coming back from Asia its the same way, you leave at 10:00 pm. Best timing ever.

We flew United economy plus to the U.K. in July, and got the bulkhead seats, so it was nice not to have anyone reclining in front of us. However, I was in the seat closest to the door and it was VERY cold--the water bottle I placed at my feet froze! For my return flight I brought an extra pair of socks and kept my jacket with me.

There were no other benefits to the seats. If you select Economy Plus, check out seat guru to make sure you don't get the non-reclining seats. I did not feel the seats were worth the extra $187 each way that we paid, but my husband did.

• 4 weeks later...

If you decide to book them please be aware that some of the exit rows seats have limited or no recline but are still economy plus seats because of the extra leg room. Those exit rows also normally have the tray table in the arm rest do you cannot put the arm rest up and it is a bit constricting.