Cruise line advice please! First-time to Alaska, 3 generations, 2 older kids (11,13)

boohoyal

Can you please give me advice on which cruise line to choose for a 7-day trip? We value: 1 - itinerary (spending as much time as possible in Alaska OFF the boat), 2 - quality food, and 3 - some kids programming but we don't need full-on kids club, and 4 - educational/cultural programming for the grandparents.

Given that info, what do you recommend?

THANK YOU!

Last year family of 6 did Alaska round trip from Seattle. Crown Princess. We are all RCL vets and this was our first Princess. The ship is older but maintained well. Inside cabins were smaller than RCL by far. However, there was plenty to do both on board and in shore. We did Juneu, Skagaway and Ketchikan. All were great. Plenty to do in Port. Highlights were whale watching and mendenhall glacier in Juneu and the train in Skagaway. Both are not to be missed.

Plenty on wildlife seen from the ship as well. Whales everywhere! We are there in August. I'd do it again.

Hope this helps

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

if you want more time IN Alaska, does that mean a one-way cruise ? or are you looking at RT?

If RT, look at Vancouver options instead of Seattle. Seattle RT's must stop in Victoria, usually around 6/7pm. Victoria is a lovely city, but it's not Alaska and it basically creates an extra sea day.

You can fly into Vancouver or if it's significantly cheaper, use SeaTac and take the train, bus or rental car to Vancouver, only 150 miles away. There aren't a whole lot of options of Vancouver RT's so do a little research and choose the best option for YOU. There are many trip reports posted at the top of the page ; read thru these first hand experiences to get a good feel for the cruiselines, ships,ports, etc.

(As you look at itineraries, be mindful of port times ..... make sure you're in port long enough for planned activities. Some port times are very short, or are very early or late.)

I think you are wise to consider the time on land during your cruise. I agree with Mapleleaves. - Also take a look at the arrival and departure times in each port. Do you really want to be in Juneau at 10PM or leave Ketchikan at noon?

A couple years ago I booked the Celebrity Millennium because we had four port days instead of the usual three (Juneau, Skagway. Ketchikan). Our cruise also included Icy Straight Point. It worked out well.

Princess is the best for Alaska, in my opinion. They have an Alaska program that has themed activities, sled dog visits (on some itineraries), Alaskan cuisine, and visits/presentations by experts. They also have live narration by naturalists in Glacier Bay National Park. We are going there for the third time with them next summer.

There are themed activities for kids too, since you mention older kids.

For a seven day itinerary, you are looking at roundtrip Seattle (with the aforementioned short evening Victoria B.C. visit) or the seven day one that goes between Anchorage and Vancouver B.C. There is also a ten day one roundtrip San Francisco.

Princess is the best for Alaska, in my opinion. They have an Alaska program that has themed activities, sled dog visits (on some itineraries), Alaskan cuisine, and visits/presentations by experts. They also have live narration by naturalists in Glacier Bay National Park. We are going there for the third time with them next summer.

There are themed activities for kids too, since you mention older kids.

For a seven day itinerary, you are looking at roundtrip Seattle (with the aforementioned short evening Victoria B.C. visit) or the seven day one that goes between Anchorage and Vancouver B.C. There is also a ten day one roundtrip San Francisco.

My understanding was that everyone has National Park Rangers on board doing narration in Glacier Bay National Park - that they are required to have the rangers on board. On our cruise, there was one doing narration from the bridge and one in the Palm Court lounge (the inside space with windows on three sides on that ship). The rangers gave an informal talk in the lounge before we got into Glacier Bay and a talk in the theater after we left.

We were on Crystal. They had three enrichment lecturers on board (one on Alaska nature and culture topics, one on world affairs and one on internet/technology). There were kids on board, I didn't see them a lot other than a lovely multi-generational family that was seated near us at dinner one night and on the Glacier Bay day when a big group of them came down the stairs from the top deck to the kids club. The multi-generational family at dinner had the adults at one table and the cousins sharing another table - it was very cute. They appeared to be enjoying the cruise a lot.

Crystal is a luxury line so higher price than most mainstream lines but it wasn't higher than the Disney prices and was much less than the other luxury lines in Alaska. When we booked, the price for an ocean view cabin was about the same as the price for a HAL balcony cabin on a very similar itinerary.

As others have already said, RT cruises leaving from Vancouver or one-way trips between Vancouver and Seward/Whittier will provide more Alaska port time. The Seattle round trips have more distance to cover to get to Alaska and have to have a stop in Canada. Also, most sailings from Seattle go on the ocean side of Vancouver Island while the ones from Vancouver go through the Canadian Inside passage (more scenic and less risk of heavy seas). If you find it more convenient/cheaper to fly into Seattle (from where I live both Seattle and Vancouver are about the same price and convenience), there are bus, train and rental car options for getting between the two.

Edited by new_cruiser

It is important to point out that some glacier days such as Glacier Bay are on the ship for the day, but the day is spectacular. They are not just sea days.

I would get Alaska by Cruise ship book by Anne Vipond.

This is great info everyone! We prefer RT vs one way because we can use points for flights in/out Seattle or Amsterdam but not in/out of Anchorage. Those flights would add a lot of cost plus we don't have the time to take advantage of Anchorage w/ground tours. Now that I'm looking more closely at times, and prioritizing Glacier Bay and Inside Passage, it seems HAL has the best itinerary because it offers 1 day cruising GB with 2 days in the Inside Passage, on the Volendam. It seems Princess only offers RT out of Seattle which doesn't include Inside Passage and leaves Ketchikan at 1:00. However, Princess may be better for us from a fit standpoint.... but since the itinerary is our priority I may choose HAL. Thoughts on that? THANKS SO MUCH!

Thoughts....

• another vote to include Glacier Bay as your include itinerary for your glacier experience as a first timer.
  • I think Princess will be best for three generations.
  • consider Holland America if you want a 7 day round tripper with Vancouver included.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to bother everyone again but I just can't make a decision on this cruise! Can someone please help?

Holland wins on itinerary and price - RT from Vancouver visits both Glacier Bay and Inside Passage, and it spends longer in Ketchikan, which would be great for our fishing excursion there, and it's about $1500 cheaper (with Explore4, since we have 3rd and 4th guests). Princess is not as great on itinerary - their RT from Seattle spends a short time in the Inside Passage, and leaves Ketchikan early at 1:30.

Also, I found some activities lists and the Princess activities looked like a much better fit because we are an active family that likes to spend time TOGETHER vs sending the kids off to kids club (Princess: family scavenger hunt and photography workshop vs HAL: Digital Workshop on how to use mail, a class on good back posture and a kids-only scavenger hunt)

We've never been on a cruise before - what is more important? Someone please help me make a decision before Explore4 runs out tomorrow! :) Thank you a million times!

I'm sorry to bother everyone again but I just can't make a decision on this cruise! Can someone please help?

Holland wins on itinerary and price - RT from Vancouver visits both Glacier Bay and Inside Passage, and it spends longer in Ketchikan, which would be great for our fishing excursion there, and it's about $1500 cheaper (with Explore4, since we have 3rd and 4th guests). Princess is not as great on itinerary - their RT from Seattle spends a short time in the Inside Passage, and leaves Ketchikan early at 1:30.

Also, I found some activities lists and the Princess activities looked like a much better fit because we are an active family that likes to spend time TOGETHER vs sending the kids off to kids club (Princess: family scavenger hunt and photography workshop vs HAL: Digital Workshop on how to use mail, a class on good back posture and a kids-only scavenger hunt)

We've never been on a cruise before - what is more important? Someone please help me make a decision before Explore4 runs out tomorrow! :) Thank you a million times!

It really looks to me like you answered your own question! If you're going on the cruise for Alaska, then go with HAL... you just said it has the better price (save your money for excursions OFF the ship) and itinerary (as above comments, this is crucial). If you're going on the cruise for the ship and its amenities/activities, then go Princess (but why would you go to Alaska if you're going for the ship.. you should go somewhere cheaper like the Caribbean?).

Thus, I think you already picked HAL! Enjoy your trip. Between your two choices, I would definitely pick this one, too.

We did a multigenerational Alaska cruise and we selected HAL over Princess based on itinerary and price.

The ship design, ambiance, and activities and overall experience seemed more geared towards an older and sedate clientele. With that said, our cruise to Alaska was mostly about spending time together as a family and focusing on the destination rather than on the ship. We had an absolutely fantastic time and don't regret for one moment choosing Holland America for this cruise.

But we have also sailed on Princess for other cruises and I must say that, price and itinerary being the same, we would most likely choose them. For our young, energetic family, we prefer the Princess experience over Holland America. But Alaska is more about the itinerary than about the ship. As others have said, if we were going to the Caribbean I would place more emphasis on the actual ship or cruise line, but not going to Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

I still have to vote Princess. Just can't beat them for multi-generational activities (especially involving the whole family) and for Alaska in general. Our family of 16 (of all ages) loved our Princess Alaska cruise. They do have fishing excursions in Ketchikan that might be similar to what you are looking at. My brother in law caught halibut and got it cooked for our family and served at our table for dinner that night. I don't recall which port it was but it could have been Ketchikan. That was a great memory (and photo).

Welcometo Alaska. I'm assuming you are doing a Southeast Alaska round trip,either Seattle-Seattle or Vancouver to Vancouver. Not an open jaw, likeVancouver to Skagway then a cruise tour from there on. Most major cruise linesoffer excellent cruises to Alaska.

Thetwo cruise lines with the longest history in Alaska are HAL and Princess. Bothhave made considerable investments up here in the way of excursiontransportation (buses and dome railroad coaches) and hotel chains (WestmarkHotels for HAL and 5 wilderness lodges for Princess). Both lines now operateunder the Holland America Group of Carnival Corp which includes the combinedland holdings of both.

NCLalso being one of the largest players although none have the land basedholdings, priority rights in Glacier Bay, or number of ships that the HAGhas. About 65% of cruisers to Alaska only do the Southeast (Panhandle) portionof the State. Assuming you are on a typical 7 day (round robin) cruise you probablywon't be crossing the Gulf of Alaska and traveling further north except maybeif you are on one that visits Hubbard Glacier at the head of Yakutat Bay.

Mypersonal preference for these round robins is to get on a cruise that voyagesthrough the "Canadian Inside Passage" as well as the "AlaskaInside Passage". Meaning, they travel to the east of Vancouver Island asopposed to the west of the island, west of the island places the vessel outinto the North Pacific where scenic voyaging is limited to non-existent,rougher water there too, sometimes. Vancouver is the best port for this. (Note:this is also important even when you are going to cross the Gulf ofAlaska and terminate or originate in Central Alaska, cruisingeast of Vancouver Island is a must on at least one segment).

Bewarewhen the line or your agent simply says you are going to be in the "InsidePassage".

Edited by kennicott
Spacing

Great info kenicott. My source of info is not the TA so much, instead I'm looking at the itinerary maps on the cruise website and whether it says Inside Passage on the itinerary list. It does appear that HAL leaves the port in Vancouver and stays east of Vancouver Island. Glad to hear that's where I want to me!

Congratulations on booking you Alaska cruise! I understand the dilemma, we faced the exact same one when we booked ours. My husband and I are sailing on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam with our 20-something kids in May 2019. I believe it's the same itinerary as yours. We booked based on itinerary and price, like you. We found some super exciting excursions in our ports and I can honestly say I have never been more excited about any vacation. I hope you are equally excited! Enjoy the rest of your planning!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for your input! I just booked with HAL. We'll do Princess next time. :)

We did two Alaskan cruises, HAL May, 2017 with kids (12 and 18 y.o.) and Princes May ,2015 without children. We liked HAL more. Kids loved the cruise and said it was their favorite cruise. They have been to other two cruises with us to Bermuda ( NCL) and Caribbean ( RCCL). We booked HAL for the same reason you did. We are going on HAL again next May.

• 2 weeks later...
We did two Alaskan cruises, HAL May, 2017 with kids (12 and 18 y.o.) and Princes May ,2015 without children. We liked HAL more. Kids loved the cruise and said it was their favorite cruise. They have been to other two cruises with us to Bermuda ( NCL) and Caribbean ( RCCL). We booked HAL for the same reason you did. We are going on HAL again next May.

Would you please tell me for some more information why HAL is your choice for the next cruise? What you like on it? I am now choosing the AK cruise but cant make decision yet. I went on Sapphire princess to Japan from Taiwan. It was just fine but not as good as I expect, maybe it was a chartered cruise. I think if it is other route , might be better.

However, i want to find the right one for AK trip, but still hesitate in many aspects. As info i have now, tend to be HAL. I am from Thailand. i don’t find information about HAL in Thai.

If think about better itineraries, should be HAL, right? I will go with my mom 80 of age. Surroundings are good for my mom? Anything for suggestions, please advise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will go with my mom 80 of age. Surroundings are good for my mom? Anything for suggestions, please advise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From my experience, the atmosphere on HAL ships is better suited for more senior passengers. The Westerdam, the ship that we sailed on, was smaller and easy to get around. Everything, from the decor to the activities, down to the attention to small details, is tailored to a clientele that appreciates a more toned down and traditional cruising experience.

We’ve sailed on Princess as well, and while we had one of our best cruises on them, I believe that Holland America was more in tune with what my parents (who are in their late 70’s) appreciate when cruising.

With all of that said, HAL was a good choice for our multigenerational family trip. And I don’t regret for one minute having selected this cruise line for our Alaska cruise. But do go knowing the differences and the things that HAL puts an emphasis on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay. To answer your question jaitip, we settled on HAL Volendam for a few reasons: 1 - it travels in/out Vancouver which we preferred, 2 - it travels Wed - Wed and we were using Delta Skymiles points for flights and they were cheaper mid-week, 3 - we don't like crowds and preferred this smaller boat, 4 - it travels the Inside Passage which sounds like better scenery, and 5- it spends a long time in port each day so that means more time off the boat.

We do have kids with us though and I realize this may not be the best boat for kids. I'm worried they are going to be running around getting scolded by the older passengers all the time but we are making sure we have active excursions to give them that outlet.... more time off the boat helps with that.

Good luck!