Montevideo taxi - pay with Dollars?

jantoby

Would your local taxi accept Uruguayan currency? You can generally, get small amounts at purser’s desk.

We visited the big market shed near the port where they cooked a huge BBQ with different types of meat. Very different but good.

Would your local taxi accept Uruguayan currency? You can generally, get small amounts at purser’s desk.

We visited the big market shed near the port where they cooked a huge BBQ with different types of meat. Very different but good.

That's where I plan to have lunch, Gwendy. Sounds fab.

I agree. We paid in local currency.

Keith

I'll be arriving without Ecuadorean currency, just a day from a cruise, and want to get to the Government Palace by 9.45. Don't want to risk being late by bus, so will need to go by taxi.

We only used their currency. Seems the thing to do.

BUT....if you are there for a few days do not use cash for hotel and restaurant bills. IF you use an out of country credit card the VAT will not be charged. Or it will be deducted from restaurant tabs when the prices are indicated as VAT inclusive. Can't remember if it is 17 or 21 percent. Argentina and Chile do the same so I get a little mixed up as to the VAT rate.

I'll be arriving without Ecuadorean currency, just a day from a cruise, and want to get to the Government Palace by 9.45. Don't want to risk being late by bus, so will need to go by taxi.

Have you looked at getting currency at your local bank or at something like Travelex.

When we are in a rush but need local currency this is what we do in advance.

Keith

• 2 months later...

FYI. I took a taxi from the cruise terminal. Was USD10. There was a board showing fixed fares - all in Dollars. I was in a hurry and didn't want to risk looking for a taxi outside and being late getting to my destination.

Yes, it cost a lot more than if I'd gone outside the terminal and taken a metered taxi.

But I got to the Government Palace in time for the excellent guided tour.

There is an Abitab not far from there where you can change dollars for Argentine, Uruguay and Brazil currency if needed. Just ask anyone for an Abitab / Cambio.

Ecuardorean currency? You may need currency for Uruguay if in Montevideo.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is an Abitab not far from there where you can change dollars for Argentine, Uruguay and Brazil currency if needed. Just ask anyone for an Abitab / Cambio.

Because of the problems I am reading about getting ARP from ATM's in Buenos Aires, I plan to exchange my dollars for Argentine pesos while in Montevideo for the day before my cruise arrives in BA. I also read the exchange rate can be better in Uruguay than in Argentina.