Addis Ababa and Kampala

SadieN

I wouldn't consider Addis as "typical modern".

Modern for Africa maybe. Addis is no LAX, ORD, LHR, AMS, or CDG

Addis has 2 terminals and you can't walk from 1 to the other. There is only a bus. That bus runs on it's own schedule. You will see all sorts of interesting things and people inside of the Addis airport. I wouldn't want my layover to be more than a couple of hours. (Unless I need to change terminals. Then I'd want 3 hours.)

One thing I found interesting (culturally different) was when I went to use the restroom in the airport. If you are shy,, forget about it. While I was busy doing my thing, the bathroom attendant (who stays in the bathroom) was of the opposite sex.

During the Ebola scare a few years ago. Before you were allowed off the plane, every passenger had to have their temperature taken to ensure they were not running a fever.

Klfrodo. Thanks for the info. That confirms what I’ve heard. The bathroom has its own standard. No idea if there’s a change in terminals FCO-Addis Ababa then Addis Ababa-Kampala. Three hour layover.

6rugrats. Just trying to get a handle on it. Know so little that I cannot even thinknof what questions to ask or what answers I need.

Also heard that signage and announcements are ‘interesting’. Assuming any announcements will be in French, just adds another layer of ‘interest’.

Edited by SadieN

And I assume it's Entebbe Airport (EBB) and not the little civil aviation airport in Kampala itself. EBB is located around 20 - 25 miles from Kampala city, and on several passes through it my wife described it as pretty mediocre and not a place you want to hang out very long waiting for a departing flight. She also described the ride from EBB to Kampala as being something of a "close your eyes" experience, although not as bad as from Nairobi airport into that city.

Thanks for more info.

Yes, it’s to EBB. Ground transportation to/from has been arranged so hopefully won’t be waiting long.

Thankfully, in Addis Ababa all flights are in the Terminal 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also heard that signage and announcements are ‘interesting’. Assuming any announcements will be in French, just adds another layer of ‘interest’.

I haven't been through either of these airports specifically, but every airport I've been in, including 3 others in eastern Africa, there are always signs in English. And on every international flight I've been on, all important announcements are given in both English and the language of the carrier. It's also the official language in Uganda (Kampala); not sure about Ethiopia but English is widely spoken there.

Trivia note: All communication between the flight deck and air traffic control, no matter what part of the world one is in, are in English; it's the official language used for all such communication so that there is never a language barrier between pilots from one country, ATC in another country, and nearby pilots listening in while flying aircraft from still other countries.

Thanks about the language Info. DD was saying something about French being spoken in Ethiopia. I do know she was speaking with some of her UN/NGO friends though. They speak French. Quite possibly they told her French being spoken without telling her about English.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums