Disembarkation in Miami: late flight. Any tips?

silverbathwater

We are a small group of 4 sailing on the Glory on December 9th and returning to Miami on December 16th. We have a 7pm flight out on American Airlines.

AA doesn’t offer early luggage check. We are thinking of either taking an excursion with carnival and have them handle our luggage or getting to the airport and putting our luggage in consignment at the airport to them explore the city.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or previous similar experience?

In the past, we have rented a minivan and spent a pleasant day in town. Have lunch. See a movie. Or go to the everglades. The tours are probably still going to get you to the airport very early for your flight. A car is more flexible.

When I cruised out of Miami a couple years ago...They offered a luggage service. For a a small fee...Carnival would take your flight information and take your bags and bring them directly to Airport. Not sure it there was a specific time period(i.e for flights before 3pm...) I recall most of the major airlines participated in this program.

Renting a car might be best. Having to get to the airport, consign the luggage, etc... is not much more effort than simply renting a car. Then you leave your luggage secured in the car. You can book your rental ahead of time.

Another option is hanging out on South Beach for the day. You can walk Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, South Pointe Park, etc. etc. Lots of see and do. You can Uber to the Luggage Lounge (South Beach) and drop off your luggage there. Then head back at the end of the day, grab luggage and Uber to the airport.

There is also a bus that runs from the airport to Miami Beach: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/bus-airport-flyer.asp

I think you need to ask yourself what you want to do. Uber to Miami Beach and you are basically contained there. Walk around, relax, not much planning needed. Or rent a car and maybe have a game plan - Wynwood, Brickell, South Beach, Vizcaya, etc.

When I cruised out of Miami a couple years ago...They offered a luggage service. For a a small fee...Carnival would take your flight information and take your bags and bring them directly to Airport. Not sure it there was a specific time period(i.e for flights before 3pm...) I recall most of the major airlines participated in this program.

Unfortunately Luggage Express is no longer available.

Unfortunately Luggage Express is no longer available.

Thanks... Thats too bad. If they are going to the Airport....You can drop your bags off at a interim storage place....In-between the terminals. I think its like $5 a bag. They give you a ticket for retrieval later. Just another option so you don't need to keep in trunk of rental car and deal with the lugging of bags later!

I would book a hotel room, with pool. That would make a nice way to spend a day before that flight. You'll be off the ship around 9am, if not earlier...that's a long time to "kill" riding around. Having a pool, tv, shower, etc...is a nice way to spend the day.

We are a small group of 4 sailing on the Glory on December 9th and returning to Miami on December 16th. We have a 7pm flight out on American Airlines.

AA doesn’t offer early luggage check. We are thinking of either taking an excursion with carnival and have them handle our luggage or getting to the airport and putting our luggage in consignment at the airport to them explore the city.

Excursion is best.

I guess theoretically if you were first off the ship, rushed to a rental car, drove 4 hours to Busch Gardens, ran inside and got on one roller coaster, then sprinted back to the car, you could still, possibly, maybe get back to Miami in time to make your 7PM flight.

We took a taxi to airport and rented a car. Drove to South Beach for breakfast and some beach time and then over to Everglades national park. Got some great Cuban food and headed to airport. I’d recommend getting a car and keeping luggage with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It has been several years but my husband and I did a Everglades excursion booked through Carnival AFTER the cruise. they had all of our luggage and, of course, it included transportation to the airport. I do believe we were flying out of Ft. Lauderdale. I would check the port excursion to see if they offer anything you might be interested in. We live in California so had no idea if or when we would be back and it was reasonable!

Just off the Glory last month. We had a 3:30 flight on American. We did the Miami tour which we really enjoyed. We were back at the airport by 1:30 so that may be too early still for you. One negative with any of the Carnival excursions is that they drop you off very far from American. They only have one stop.