Cape Liberty to EWR on a Friday???

teacherman

We are taking our children and grandchildren on Adventure of the Seas leaving Cape Liberty on Friday, June 29, and returning on Friday, July 6. We have never cruised from this port. What would be the earliest time we should book our flights for that Friday. We have also never flown in or out of Newark. We most likely will not all be taking the same flight. We are flying into Newark the day prior to the cruise and staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Any information/advice is welcome.

CAROL - I am sorry I did not get to meet you on the Freedom TA, as you could have given me a wealth of info in person.

We are taking our children and grandchildren on Adventure of the Seas leaving Cape Liberty on Friday, June 29, and returning on Friday, July 6. We have never cruised from this port. What would be the earliest time we should book our flights for that Friday. We have also never flown in or out of Newark. We most likely will not all be taking the same flight. We are flying into Newark the day prior to the cruise and staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Any information/advice is welcome.

CAROL - I am sorry I did not get to meet you on the Freedom TA, as you could have given me a wealth of info in person.

You are 6 people, right? Which Courtyard Marriott are you staying at? Newark or Elizabeth? What are you paying for your rooms and what are you paying to get everyone to and from the port? Did you consider other hotel options with transportation?

Even though Newark Airport is relatively close, we can't really recommend flights before noon to allow for unexpected delays.

We are staying at Courtyard Jersey City Newport. This will be for the night prior to the cruise. We will not all be flying on the same flight. I think each "group" will just take a taxi to the hotel, and we will get a Uber or something to the port on cruise day.

We have 2 seniors, 2 adults, and a family of 4. I have reserved 3 hotel rooms. I will look for flights in the afternoon, although that might mean a lot of airport time.

Sounds like a plan. You'll spend more money on transportation, but you'll be near the Hudson River with options to run into Manhattan if you arrive early enough. The Courtyard has a pool for the kids. I've stayed there and would recommend it.

About how much will transportation be: EWR to the hotel and hotel to the port? Also, with a total of 8 people, would it be better to reserve a car for port to EWR, or just take a taxi? All advice/info is welcome.

I'm thinking $50-60 from EWR to the hotel. Taxis or Ubers would work from the hotel to the port and should run $35-$60.

Did you pick the Courtyard Jersey City for a particular reason instead of staying at Newark Airport? It's an expensive choice and is adding $300+ to the cost of your precruise stay with 8 people unless you booked the hotel with points.

I booked it because it was : nice, close to restaurants and shopping mall, access to Path in case some wanted to visit Manhattan, pool for the children, etc. It is the first cruise for all of them and I wanted it to be "nice". I still have time to switch hotels, although the later flight times out of EWR could be a problem as no one wants to sit in the airport for 6 hours.

I booked it because it was : nice, close to restaurants and shopping mall, access to Path in case some wanted to visit Manhattan, pool for the children, etc. It is the first cruise for all of them and I wanted it to be "nice". I still have time to switch hotels, although the later flight times out of EWR could be a problem as no one wants to sit in the airport for 6 hours.

It is nice for all the reasons you gave. Just doing a reality check with you. We picked it for a wedding weekend in New York because it met all our requirements - ability to park 2 cars, ability to do an EWR pickup at 5 am and an early morning dropoff, easy access to Manhattan through the Holland Tunnel, and ability to get just one room with 2 Queens and a sofabed for me, DH, DD, DS, and infant DGD. Manhattan was cost prohibitive because it required 2 hotel rooms and expensive daily parking.

What are the flight time options? Once Adventure starts sailing from CL folks will start reporting about actual disembarkation times. If folks are willing to self disembark, you can probably push the flight times a bit.

Sorry to chime in (and assume I know as much as 138east who was so helpful to me), but how likely is it with only one night pre-cruise anyone will opt to go into the city? You might want to consider Elizabeth NJ instead in the Embassy Suites (several hotels on this street) area next to the mall and restaurants and an easy Uber from EWR to hotel (some offer a free hotel shuttle) and easy Uber from this area to Cape Liberty.

Enjoy Adventure a favorite of ours...we just did the Anthem out of Cape Liberty and will miss Adventure in the southern caribbean on our next cruise there in September.

Have a wonderful cruise :D