Is Carnival Ecstasy ship safe for teens to explore alone?

Lionheartbella

hello! First timer here. Cruising on Carnival ecstasy on Monday with 3 teens, ages 16-19. Two girls and a boy. Should I allow them to explore and do activities alone without me on the ship? How safe are cruises with sexual assaults and other crimes on board?

You didn't like the answers you got here? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2565699

A ship is like a town. They should use the same caution they would use at home. Of course they should be allowed to explore the ship and use its facilities. I would expect you to have some rules about nighttime curfews and staying together and/or letting you know where they are as you would at home.

I would also expect that they should not bring strangers to their cabin nor go into cabins of others alone either. They wouldn't do that at home(go into a stranger's house ) so they shouldn't do that on a ship.

A ship is like a town. They should use the same caution they would use at home. Of course they should be allowed to explore the ship and use its facilities. I would expect you to have some rules about nighttime curfews and staying together and/or letting you know where they are as you would at home.

I would also expect that they should not bring strangers to their cabin nor go into cabins of others alone either. They wouldn't do that at home(go into a stranger's house ) so they shouldn't do that on a ship.

Ditto! I took 3 teens all boys and they had the time of their life. They met many friends on the cruise. They had rules and check in times and stuck to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't like the answers you got here? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2565699

She is just concerned about her kids and doesn't know what to expect. Why do people have to respond, if they have nothing helpful to add to the conversation? Just to be snarky? If her question annoys you you can keep scrolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hello! First timer here. Cruising on Carnival ecstasy on Monday with 3 teens, ages 16-19. Two girls and a boy. Should I allow them to explore and do activities alone without me on the ship? How safe are cruises with sexual assaults and other crimes on board?

Dress the girls properly and have them stay together.

While on board, make the 3 of them hold hands whenever they cross the road.

Seriously, if they are allowed to find their own eay to school and make responsible decisions, you need not worry. There are no more risks for sensible kids on a cruise than anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

For starters, you only have 2 kids and one adult. Not 3 teens. The 19 year old is an adult, and you can't "allow" them to explore and be on their own because they can do it without your permission. That ended a year ago. As far at the kids are concerned, at age 16, they can drive, work, and do all kinds of things that hopefully you allow them to do. However, it does not mean you need not to watch them as they transition to adulthood. As far as the ship is concerned, it is a small city, with all kinds. Since you have been a parent for at least 19 years now, you should be well practiced at making these decisions on your own, and not relying on total strangers on a message board! Try asking this question with trusted adults that you know.

For starters, you only have 2 kids and one adult. Not 3 teens. The 19 year old is an adult, and you can't "allow" them to explore and be on their own because they can do it without your permission. That ended a year ago. As far at the kids are concerned, at age 16, they can drive, work, and do all kinds of things that hopefully you allow them to do. However, it does not mean you need not to watch them as they transition to adulthood. As far as the ship is concerned, it is a small city, with all kinds. Since you have been a parent for at least 19 years now, you should be well practiced at making these decisions on your own, and not relying on total strangers on a message board! Try asking this question with trusted adults that you know.

Must be the new math (19=not 9 teen)

Maybe poster needs to ask strangers for advice (they can still accept or reject it) because as a new cruiser, they don't know trusted adults who have cruised with kids before.

No need to be so harsh.

OP, welcome to cruise critic and don't let the negatives who have nothing better to do get you down. MY 14 year old grand daughter went with me and her mom on a cruise and had a grand time meeting new friends while observing curfew and check in with mom rules.

Answer this- would you feel safe for them to run around down town Chicago, Detroit or LA? At night? Then there is your answer, a ship is not a babysitter. Any place can be dangerous not only in cities, Use caution day or night, know where your kids are. 3 of them are safer than a solo teenager, but know your kids will they be the ones being disruptive to others?

We had no problem with our kids exploring together. It's a smaller ship, easy to navigate. They will likely end up at the pool, mini golf or the arcade lol. As long as they have a buddy they should be ok. Use the Hub app, it's $5 a device for the cruise and will allow you to send messages to other cruisers in your party. The water park is also great! Hope you have a great time.

• Like 1

Must be the new math (19=not 9 teen)

Maybe poster needs to ask strangers for advice (they can still accept or reject it) because as a new cruiser, they don't know trusted adults who have cruised with kids before.

No need to be so harsh.

OP, welcome to cruise critic and don't let the negatives who have nothing better to do get you down. MY 14 year old grand daughter went with me and her mom on a cruise and had a grand time meeting new friends while observing curfew and check in with mom rules.

She did ask if an adult was safe being on the ship, and considering she is an adult, and at least one of the people she is talking about is an adult. You are right, 19 is still a teenager, but through the age 17, they are considered teens, and starting at 18, they become legal adults. Teenager is generally applied to "kids". One of my "19" year olds was doing a tour of duty in South Korea, and the other "19" year old started a process of buying a house, which closed when he was 20. So when a person asks if it is safe for their adult children on a ship, I find it troubling part of today's society. I also find it troubling when people ask parenting advice with perfect strangers. But when you do, you will get it both ways, the way you want to hear, like everything will be ok, no problem, nothing happened to my kid, so that means the other thousands of kids will be safe, or you will here about the negatives. Some of which you can read in the news.

I'm the mom of 2 girls and a boy (all adults now). A ship is a pretty safe place, nowhere to hide if anything did happen. The activities are in large public areas, there will be people pretty much everywhere you go. Plus there are cameras all over the ship too. If your children know to stay in the public areas of the ship and not go into another person's cabin I wouldn't worry. (Have there ever been incidences? Yes, but they are very few and far between, and most I've heard about have been crew caught with 'willing' underage passengers = charges and crew loses job)

Get the Hub app for all phones and trust your kids to know what's right. Relax and have fun!

Answer this- would you feel safe for them to run around down town Chicago, Detroit or LA? At night? Then there is your answer, a ship is not a babysitter. Any place can be dangerous not only in cities, Use caution day or night, know where your kids are. 3 of them are safer than a solo teenager, but know your kids will they be the ones being disruptive to others?

At what point do you cut the apron strings? No matter what the parents think, most kids are more than capable of making sensible decisions and looking after themselves.

A 16 year old does need a baby sitter!

This has to have been written by a man. Victim blaming!

This is an emotionally charged topic, but I feel the intent is not to blame the victim but rather about street smarts. Out on the streets, which is to say, in the course of life as usual, who attracts more attention? Plainly, modestly, even frumpily dressed people, or stylish people dressed up like radiant living art? Fancy and alluring clothing is specifically designed to attract more attention.

Right or wrong, it is always possible that someone responding with that attention is someone you would rather avoid, and perhaps could have avoided with another strategy. There is a reason actors dress down when they are trying to avoid attention. It's much easier to blend in and go unnoticed.

My mother, who came from Minnesota and lived in New York City as a young woman in the early 1960s, taught me the benefits of dressing down for a day in Chicago rather than up to minimize the chance of being a "target" as she always says. Suspicious? Paranoid? Pessimistic? Perhaps.

I used to work with a stunning young lady who daily wore 6 inch heels, hip hugger slacks with her thong and back tattoo visible, and ample exposed cleavage, who would complain bitterly about the unwanted attention she attracted. Blaming the victim? Not my intent. Was there anything at all she could have done differently? You decide.

Would you/ do you let them run around town at home? If yes, do you let them at night? You must impart curfews and boundaries just like you would at home, at a hotel somewhere (where you are not familiar with the people staying there etc.), create meeting and touch base places and do not go into it like you are looking for the ship to be the caregiver/babysitter (many parents appear to view the ship as a giant playpen in a way)....

THIS...remember that there are no background checks for cruise passengers and you have NO IDEA who is in the cabin next to you (much like a hotel) or hanging out near the kid clubs etc...fact of life is that there is scum out there, EVERYWHERE and it is up to you as parents to be the parent....

Ummmm....maybe shouldn't need a babysitter but....one teenager in the room has a full brain, 2 teens in a room have half a brain between them and 3 or more? NO BRAINS in that room at all!!!!!

Think about that!!! Every time you read or see something go down involving teens....it is because they do not have the life experiences or logic/ sense to realize the consequences associated with every action or decision....their brains are not fully developed until they are about 25...they need parents to be that balance in some way, parents want to be friends with their children at times cuz it is easier than parenting in many ways...

At what point do you cut the apron strings? No matter what the parents think, most kids are more than capable of making sensible decisions and looking after themselves.

A 16 year old needs a baby sitter? They can work and drive by themselves, but they need a babysitter? LOL ok then.

She is just concerned about her kids and doesn't know what to expect. Why do people have to respond, if they have nothing helpful to add to the conversation? Just to be snarky? If her question annoys you you can keep scrolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it was the fact she asked the same exact question in another board.. and got basically the same answers.. so why ask again?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk