Westpac CC with QBE Travel Insurance have now changed to Allianz as of 1 Oct 2017

I thought I would mention this in case someone else finds themselves with the same issue as I have.

I have just booked a last minute NZ Xmas Cruise and made sure that I qualified to get cover with my St George CC. My partner has a pre existing cond which I applied for as usual and never had a problem. Received email from QBE to say that Allianz had taken over and to contact them which I did and was completely stunned when they declined the PE.

So now have been frantically searching for insurance for DH. Insure&go were the cheapest. I tried quite a few TI and they all covered him for a price. But I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestion/ recommendations going forward as I have a 4 week trip to Japan planned in May 2018 and a Singapore to Rome Cruise in 2019. Cannot buy a Annual/multi trip because DH is 70 and they do not cover 70 and over.

Also looking at Anz Platinum low ann fee with Travel insurance with QBE

I thought I would mention this in case someone else finds themselves with the same issue as I have.

I have just booked a last minute NZ Xmas Cruise and made sure that I qualified to get cover with my St George CC. My partner has a pre existing cond which I applied for as usual and never had a problem. Received email from QBE to say that Allianz had taken over and to contact them which I did and was completely stunned when they declined the PE.

So now have been frantically searching for insurance for DH. Insure&go were the cheapest. I tried quite a few TI and they all covered him for a price. But I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestion/ recommendations going forward as I have a 4 week trip to Japan planned in May 2018 and a Singapore to Rome Cruise in 2019. Cannot buy a Annual/multi trip because DH is 70 and they do not cover 70 and over.

Also looking at Anz Platinum low ann fee with Travel insurance with QBE

i'm with St George with a Gold Card with the free insurance and i've got the same problem because i have a pre existing illness and i got cover with QBE so i applied with Allianz and got knocked back so i have an annual policy with Insure & go with cover for my heart complaint with Gold cover, it cost me an extra $200 plus the policy and i'm over 70 too

ANZ CC insurance that we have covered my wife (pre existing medical outside the normal 43 conditions) for the medical assessment fee of $75 for our India trip. Unfortunately, they don't cover domestic cruises so we have used Covermore and they charged aprrox $100 extra for the medical cover.

i'm with St George with a Gold Card with the free insurance and i've got the same problem because i have a pre existing illness and i got cover with QBE so i applied with Allianz and got knocked back so i have an annual policy with Insure & go with cover for my heart complaint with Gold cover, it cost me an extra $200 plus the policy and i'm over 70 too

Ok thanks I will check it out.

ANZ CC insurance that we have covered my wife (pre existing medical outside the normal 43 conditions) for the medical assessment fee of $75 for our India trip. Unfortunately, they don't cover domestic cruises so we have used Covermore and they charged aprrox $100 extra for the medical cover.

Yes we are going to check the ANZ CC tomorrow at the branch. We dare not apply for it online because we had so much trouble getting the St George card had to get the bank manager to go in and bat for us. Banks don't like retired, no debt, asset rich people .....too much of a risk lol

Thanks

yes you can see the price on the website and they do the medical over the phone and you get a 10% discount so they open at 8.30 tomorrow

just on their website ticked annual gold bit confused comes up with 30,45 & 60 days?

just on their website ticked annual gold bit confused comes up with 30,45 & 60 days?[

i think those days are pretty standard

i rang around last week getting quotes and i thought the NRMA would be good after having a gold card with them and being in there for 50+ years but they were 3 times dearer than insure & go....even Aus Post were about the same price as NRMA,....so i settled to go with insure & go and they cover medi vac plus missed ports

Wombat13 I am in a similar situation - Westpac Premium card and no issues getting QBE to cover my pre-existing conditions on two occasions previously - now that Allianz are the underwriters they rejected my recent application for the same pre existing conditions cover (no change in the status of them).

Fortunately I already had a ANZ Premium card where the insurance is underwritten by QBE and applied to them and was approved with no issues - admin fee is $75 for that cover and you need to spend $250 on the trip on the card. The upper age limit on the ANZ policy is 80 as at the date of activation of the policy

So I'll be flipping Westpac the bird before my renewal comes up next year and will make ANZ my preferred card going forward.

I'm not even going to bother to tell Westpac that their change of underwriter has resulted in a lower level of service to their customers - I don't think they give a toss so why would I bother when there are other options available to me. Actually I and Wombat should tell Westpac their new cover sucks and it will cost them customers - maybe there are enough of us that it will matter (I suspect not)

Pre existing conditions sure add an extra complication when it comes to travel insurance. Before I started using the bundled credit card insurance I used Insure&Go and found they were good with their cover incl the preexisting conditions - but it certainly came at a premium in terms of the charge for cover

Edited by Bodogbodog

just on their website ticked annual gold bit confused comes up with 30,45 & 60 days?[

i think those days are pretty standard

i rang around last week getting quotes and i thought the NRMA would be good after having a gold card with them and being in there for 50+ years but they were 3 times dearer than insure & go....even Aus Post were about the same price as NRMA,....so i settled to go with insure & go and they cover medi vac plus missed ports

Oh dear!! I just did a annual quote with pre existing for 45 days (12 nz + 30 jp) worldwide exc USA less 10%

$1341.18

Wombat13 I am in a similar situation - Westpac Premium card and no issues getting QBE to cover my pre-existing conditions on two occasions previously - now that Allianz are the underwriters they rejected my recent application for the same pre existing conditions cover (no change in the status of them).

Fortunately I already had a ANZ Premium card where the insurance is underwritten by QBE and applied to them and was approved with no issues - admin fee is $75 for that cover and you need to spend $250 on the trip on the card

So I'll be flipping Westpac the bird before my renewal comes up next year and will make ANZ my preferred card going forward.

I'm not even going to bother to tell Westpac that their change of underwriter has resulted in a lower level of service to their customers - I don't think they give a toss so why would I bother when there are other options available to me

Pre existing conditions sure add an extra complication when it comes to travel insurance. Before I started using the bundled credit card insurance I used Insure&Go and found they were good with their cover incl the preexisting conditions - but it certainly came at a premium in terms of the charge for cover

It's terrible I am going to see if I can get a ANZ CC tomorrow. Only thing is finding something to spend $500 on. I still have gratuities to pay which are in US$ so around $480 and I wonder if prepaying for a nights accom in Sydney before cruise will count. If not I might just use insure&go for DH nz cruise and then I will have it for the Japan & Europe trips. Hopefully

Thanks for your reply

Oh dear!! I just did a annual quote with pre existing for 45 days (12 nz + 30 jp) worldwide exc USA less 10%

$1341.18

Sadly that is the extra premium that gets added for pre-existing conditions

I suggest you look into the ANZ Premium card options and the included cover - Information is @ https://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/using/premium-insurance/#shop and the policy document can be found @ https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/premium-cards-insurances.pdf

It makes the annual fee on a premium card quite a bargain

$1341.18

if the quote was with insure & go you have ring and talk to CS and they do the medical over the phone....my annual cover came to $578 but a solo quote

i do quite a few cruises during the year so if i paid $75 for each cruise it might work out dearer than $578 so an annual policy is better for me

i do quite a few cruises during the year so if i paid $75 for each cruise it might work out dearer than $578 so an annual policy is better for me

At least 7 cruises a year? - good luck to you...for most that wont be the case though

Edited by Bodogbodog

if the quote was with insure & go you have ring and talk to CS and they do the medical over the phone....my annual cover came to $578 but a solo quote

Yes the quote was with insure & go and I was able to put in the pre exisiting and it came to

Travel Premium 922.39

Medical Premium 568.41

Total price 1490.80

less 10% 149.00

Total 1341.18

It is unusual for us to do small trips. If we go away it around 4-6 weeks at a time. And our budget does not extend to more than 1-2 trips a year unfortunately.

Thanks for your replies

It's terrible I am going to see if I can get a ANZ CC tomorrow. Only thing is finding something to spend $500 on. I still have gratuities to pay which are in US$ so around $480 and I wonder if prepaying for a nights accom in Sydney before cruise will count. If not I might just use insure&go for DH nz cruise and then I will have it for the Japan & Europe trips. Hopefully

Thanks for your reply

WIth the ANZ Premium Cards Insurance, you only need to spend $250 not $500 to activate. As per the PDF linked in the above post, $250 has to be spent on the CC towards transport eg Flight/Cruise or land content eg tours, hire cars accomodation and of course meet the other criteria.

I have compared many CC included Travel Insurance policies for friends that were not sure what their cards included and the ANZ QBE policy is the best IMO.

As Mic stated, there is no Insurance for domestic cruises where there is no International port, so we take one with Insure and Go.

I make sure I have met all criteria, take a copy of the bank CC statement where the $250 activated the cover as proof, you can also call to get a Policy number, it is a generic one, take a copy of the Policy booklet with the contact numbers and details of the policy with you also.

Sadly that is the extra premium that gets added for pre-existing conditions

I suggest you look into the ANZ Premium card options and the included cover - Information is @ https://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/using/premium-insurance/#shop and the policy document can be found @ https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/premium-cards-insurances.pdf

It makes the annual fee on a premium card quite a bargain

Yes I will take a look at it.

Also I should have made myself clearer in the previous post

< If not I might just use insure&go for DH nz cruise and then I will have it for the Japan & Europe trips.>

I meant to say after NZ trip I will then have the ANZ cc for the Japan & Europe trips. Fingers crossed

I make sure I have met all criteria, take a copy of the bank CC statement where the $250 activated the cover as proof, you can also call to get a Policy number, it is a generic one, take a copy of the Policy booklet with the contact numbers and details of the policy with you also.

Good advice on having that supporting documentation with you

Just interested have you ever had to claim on the policy - I guess that's where the rubber meets the road

Just so the OP is aware there is a $250 excess on claims - but if you've got a medical incident in the US or some other countries that will pale into insignificance

WIth the ANZ Premium Cards Insurance, you only need to spend $250 not $500 to activate. As per the PDF linked in the above post, $250 has to be spent on the CC towards transport eg Flight/Cruise or land content eg tours, hire cars accomodation and of course meet the other criteria.

I have compared many CC included Travel Insurance policies for friends that were not sure what their cards included and the ANZ QBE policy is the best IMO.

As Mic stated, there is no Insurance for domestic cruises where there is no International port, so we take one with Insure and Go.

Ok haven't got to reading it all yet I just assumed it mean't $250 per person. Glad you and Mic can recommend. Just have to see if they will give us one.

Good advice on having that supporting documentation with you

Just interested have you ever had to claim on the policy - I guess that's where the rubber meets the road

Just so the OP is aware there is a $250 excess on claims - but if you've got a medical incident in the US or some other countries that will pale into insignificance

Thanks for the info yes my St George card also had $250 excess on claims. I have only had to claim once "touch wood" in all my travels and it was in the US. At that time I was with covermore and they were good no problems. When I got my GP here to sign form for Insurance purposes to say no Pre E he nearly fell off his chair when he saw the US Dr's charge. I think he wanted to move to the states....lol

A couple of years ago we had to get a Doctor to come see my wife at a San Diego hotel a day before a cruise - he correctly diagnosed the issue and prescribed and dispensed some antibiotics (he had two HUGE bags full of various drugs with him) - that cost US$1200 which our travel insurance company at the time paid in full with the supporting receipts

I hate to this what the cost would be for even the most basic hospitalisation

If you travel without insurance I'm afraid you are an idiot - and if you don't read the terms of the policy to understand cover and any restrictions you are unwise. I get sick of hearing about people riding motorbikes overseas without drivers licences and being surprised when they come off and are ineligible to claim expenses

Yes a pinched nerve in my shoulder very painful. Had to go to outpatient due to holiday. Dr was about 10 mins nurse gave me a shot in the backside & a sling and heaps of pain killer drugs. US$1600. The Dr's are taught in med school never to let a patient have pain. The drugs companies assured the Dr's that the drugs are not addictive in the short term. Now US has a opioid academic.[emoji853]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app