Tell me what I need?

elainmir

So hubby and I who live in the hot as hell swamp known as Florida will be hitting Alaska on June 25 of 2019 for our early 20th anniversary cruise. We do NOT own winter clothing as well we don't recognize that season here ROFL..so in June what will we need to pack for Alaska? We do not own coats, gloves, boots,etc. I can't imagine we'll need anything heavy..am I wrong? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

We were in Alaska June 25 - July 6. We were fortunate to have beautiful weather. In Ketchikan it hit 85! But that is not the norm and Alaska weather fluctuates so it is important to plan for layering. You definitely need a wind/rain jacket. I also had a fleece that attached to the rain jacket (Eddie Bauer) and a light down vest. I used all 3 regularly. We wore jeans or activewear each day but I also had one pair of capris 2 pairs of shorts (which we only used in Ketchikan). As for hat & gloves, we used them when on deck for glacier viewing and in Juneau for our Mendenhall glacier trek. If you don’t have them & would never use them again, you can use the hood of a sweatshirt to protect your ears and keep your hands in your pockets (or don’t stay outside long on deck). Hope that helps [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are several threads here about weather. Alaska weather can change from day-to-day and even hour-to-hour. A lot also depends on what you are used to. You can do an internet search of historical temperatures for the ports you will be visiting for late June and get a general idea of the temperatures and how much they can vary. The current temperature in Skagway is 56. Some would find that comfortable and others would find it chilly.

The best solution most have found is to have several layers that can easily be added or removed as needed. The outer layer should be waterproof or water resistant. Many use a hat, gloves and even a scarf near glaciers, since the temperatures tend to be much cooler. Also being out on deck when the ship is moving will feel much cooler than an excursion in land.

Boots are probably not needed unless you are planning extensive hiking / glacier treks. Many say a waterproof spray on a pair of sneakers works fine.

I would not buy heavy coats, but might keep an eye out for good deals on hats, gloves and a few long sleeve t-shirts and sweaters / sweatshirts / fleece jackets.

I'm no expert- but I will be in Alaska the same time asyou. I live in Atlanta and didn't wear ajacket all winter here. So, I am also strugglingwith how much gear to bring. I did livein Minnesota years ago and I still have gloves and hats etc. that I am bringingjust in case.

This is what I am doing.

1. I keep checkingthe weather forecast. So far, theforecast for our trip looks unseasonably dry and warm. And while the forecast most certainly willchange, I am not seeing 6 days in the 30’s. So, I have added more shorts and short sleeves andfewer fleecy layers to our bags.

2. Layers vs. bulky jackets. You probably have sweaters and shirts you can layer without buying a lotof gear you won’t use. You might buy a waterproofshell you can wear over layers you already have. My husband and I are both bringing a lightjacket (mine has a zip-out fleece liner and I did buy it for the trip) and lotsof options to layer under the jacket in casethe weather is colder than we expect.

3. I considered what excursions are doing? Some of the more adventurous excursions actuallysupply the outerwear you need like kayaking. We only have one day where we will really need hiking boots and warmclothes. The other days we can managewith less if needed. So if youare just walking around port or riding on a train/bus you can probably get awaywith less gear. We will have ponchos forheavy rain-vs buying expensive rain gear that we will never use again.

I am trying so hard not to overpack!

Alaska weather can be so unpredictable, you have to be prepared for any type of weather.

We did our first Alaska cruise last September and the weather was just as I expected. The temps were between the mid 40s to low 50s for two weeks.

Here’s the type of weather we had in port.

Ketchikan.............cloudy, foggy and light rain.

Juneau................ .cloudy, foggy, and rain (worst wx day)

Icy Strait Pt. .........cloudy but no rain

Glacier Bay............cloudy, foggy, light rain. The temp was

In the mid 30s.

Skagway................cloudy, foggy, drizzle.

Sitka.......................most of the day was partly sunny

I had my layered clothing, along with sweatshirts and a fleece jacket Was vert comfortable. Glacier Bay if your going you will need warm cloths, it gets cold. Rain gear is a must. I had pants and jacket in one of those small pouches, worked great. We are headed back the end of August and will pack the same as last year. Be prepared for any kind of weather and you will have a great cruise.

One more thing, google Alaska packing lists, this will give you an idea of what you will need.

I can relate. Living in Hawaii we think it is chilly when it is 70. If you plan to be outside, for something like Glacier Bay, you will feel better with a hat and gloves. I like the North Face water proof jacket that is a shell. I also suggest a water proof sneaker/hiking shoe. We bought the Merrell Moab.

I find that polyester is warmer than cotton. I usually wear cotton at home. If your legs get cold, you could buy a pair of tights and cut out the feet. Also, someone suggested Frogg Toggs rain pant. They carry this at Dick's Sporting Goods. Could cut down on wind and also keep you dry. I am also taking a scarf. Have fun. You have a year to stock up. :)

We do NOT own winter clothing as well we don't recognize that season here ROFL..so in June what will we need to pack for Alaska? We do not own coats, gloves, boots,etc. I can't imagine we'll need anything heavy..am I wrong? Thanks in advance!

You shouldn't need boots, that's for sure. I made due in the colder part of the year with sneakers just fine. I do recommend you consider getting a full zip fleece though

[YOUTUBE]gtguw4gm7FU[/YOUTUBE]

I am from Tampa and I go to Alaska in June or July to escape the heat. Layers like everyone is saying. I start with short sleeve and put on light jacket if need be but I don't own any long shirts. Most important thing is rain jacket or poncho. If you are doing cold excursions, borrow socks or wear 2 pair. Amazon has them for $10. Rain jacket and binoculars are only thing that I bought specifically for Alaska but neither are necessity. A lot of people just buy rain ponchos at dollar store. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

So hubby and I who live in the hot as hell swamp known as Florida will be hitting Alaska on June 25 of 2019 for our early 20th anniversary cruise. We do NOT own winter clothing as well we don't recognize that season here ROFL..so in June what will we need to pack for Alaska? We do not own coats, gloves, boots,etc. I can't imagine we'll need anything heavy..am I wrong? Thanks in advance!

We were in Alaska in the month of May .We brought only winter clothes and every city had temperatures close to 80 degrees.

Part of it is what do you consider cold? Guessing anything below 60? What do you wear at home the times it gets that cold? Do you extra bundle up or do you have a light jacket?

Plan for rain though. The chances of rain are usually pretty high and on a 7 day cruise you should have at least 2 and as many as 7 days where it is at least drizzly. In summer you won’t have snow but it can be what a Florida person would consider cold. Gloves are always a good idea, but you don’t need big heavy ones. I have some just thin Nomex style flight gloves I’ll take because they’re more good for keeping out the wind than anything. A lighter sort of hat may also be a good idea, I have a fleece one I like but it’s light and easy to stow when not needed. A lot of things can be bulky and you really don’t need bulk. That’s why people always say layers. I’m going to take a hoodie and my rain jacket (gore Tex, but not insulated so it keeps me dry). I have some Merrill Moab waterproof shoes I wear every day anyway, since I hike a lot and it snows here. They’re breathable and not really insulated. If my feet get cold, which I doubt in Alaska for my preferences being from Utah, i have available some good wool socks, but while I am debating packing them, I’ll probably throw them in in case there’s a really cold day or I decide to go hike off trail in Denali. As much as anything, they’re good cushioning for hiking. I doubt I’ll actually “need” them.

Otherwise I’ll take jeans and t shirts mostly and go from there.

I also live in that same swamp and just returned yesterday from our AK cruise. As a former New Englander who has lost her cold tolerance after 15 years in FL, I do know how to dress for cold, but how quickly cold becomes a relative term!

We had downpour and 52 on our Juneau day, which included a 4 mile hike to the Mendenhall Glacier. (Excursions are rain or shine in AK, as it rains A LOT). Long underwear base layer, Columbia water resistant hiking pants, waterproof hiking shoes, a Columbia base layer, and an LL Bean waterproof lined jacket. (Plus the poncho provided by the guide),... and we were still soaked through.

Skagway and Ketchikan were high 50’s. We did a 6 hour bus tour into the Yukon... temperature varied wildly from stop to stop, and the wind was crazy cold at times. Jeans, long sleeve base layer, and warm jacket were good.

Sea Day & Glacier Bay day were cold on the balcony when we weren’t facing the sun, but toasty when we were on the sunny side. So be prepared to take your jacket on and off a million times.

Just about every FL outlet mall has a Columbia outlet... great gear at good prices. Or, LL Bean, who sells all their winter stuff year round. Amazon also sells Duofold base layers year round,

• 11 months later...

Ok so I fly out in 2 days to Seattle and thank you guys for your help on this from my inquiries last year...I've decided to take sneakers as I won't need boots for my excursions...I typically have my own personal summer and would sweat to death and it 70 degrees so I'm taking some warm weather stuff..hat, jacket...no gloves though. So excited I can not stand it!

Bon Voyage!   Alaska's weather can change day to day but you'll be fine.

Tennis shoes are fine. Sometimes even sandals. Layers are the best to

wear. I don't take a heavy coat and do fine. (really depends what your doing and where your going)