Deciding on specific 7 day cruise: Anchorage to Vancouver

boosman

My wife and I plan to do this cruise from approx. 14 to 21 Sept. My 2 best options to decide between are

1. Princess Cruises starting from Whittier with the following "specifics": includes Glacier Bay viewing day from the ship / approx. 2 to 3 hours longer available for spending time in each of Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

2. Norwegian cruises from Seward: Seward seems to be a bonus as a base for exploring / extra land venue to disembark at Hoonah [in place of Glacier Bay viewing day as with option 1] / $ 200 per person cheaper cruise / but shorter time available for the exploring of above mentioned 3 towns/cities.

Your comments and advice will be appreciated.

We did the Northbound cruise on Princess ending in Whittier. While I am certainly no expert, I would not want to sacrifice any time, however small, in any of the three ports. I would also want an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Having more time and seeing Glacier Bay, IMO is worth the extra money. Even though we ended in Whittier, we just rented a car and drove to Seward and spent two nights there. You could explore Seward or other areas before your trip and then I believe you can secure transport from Anchorage to Whittier for the cruise (someone else will know more). Just my two cents.

I will always vote for Glacier Bay if you haven't seen it before. My first cruise was AK on HAL and my husband's first Alaska cruise was on Princess- we were on Pacific Princess and able to get into smaller inlets in Glacier Bay. Fabulous!!!

I would choose the Princess itinerary for Glacier Bay and the extra time in ports.

If you want to explore Seward, arrive a day or two early and rent a car or take the train. Definitely take on of the longer (6+ hours) Kenai Fjords cruises.

You also have the opportunity for some popular tours in Whittier. These can be often be done on the day you arrive, depending on the ships departure time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only asking for an option between the two I would go for PCL.

I personally prefer RCI (Radiance) from Vancouver to Seward (Anchorage) .... not a fan of sailing away from Alaska instead of to Alaska.

Hubbard Glacier is just amazing...have gotten so up close during our last four cruises.

What do YOU want to do in ports? Essential you figure that out now, not after you book, in my opinion.

You are going at a timeframe that is lacking in daylight, and does have more of a foul weather potential. So, be certain to factor that is, with touring.

Figure out, where you want to be? Seward or Whittier? Know- your priority for touring?

Either choice can be excellent selection. I'd suggest focusing on the entire itinerary, not just a single day, in my opinion.

My personal vote is for Princess. I'm booked to do the Southbound on Princess next August. Glacier Bay was a must for us and we preferred the port times. We are arriving several days early and will spend one day doing a Kenai Fjords boat tour from Seward.