Reasonable prices for private tour (two people) - Puerto Montt

zitsky

I've been quoted from $190-$215 a person for private tour in South America (Puerto Montt). All day tour with options shown below. This does seem high but I am just starting to research and don't know what prices are reasonable. I would appreciate any feedback.

The company is South Excursions. I have checked out other companies recommended here, but either they are out of business, or not responding to emails.

BTW, does anyone know of a company that will let you pay in advance (by Paypal or credit card) so that you don't have to carry so much cash with you?

Thank you.

PUERTO MONTT

Puerto Montt, Puerto Varas and Petrohue falls

Full Day Activity (7 Hrs)

This tour is ideal for passengers who want to get the best ofPuerto Montt and its marvelous surroundings.

Enjoy of a trip that takes you from the ship to the city center ofPuerto Montt, with its picturesque fishing wharf and seafood market, as well asa visit to the main square of Puerto Varas, “City of Roses,” known for itsalpine and traditional German-style architecture.

After this, a lakeside drive leads you to the impressive PetrohueRiver Falls, a gleaming succession of azure blue rapids, against a back drop ofmountains and the emerald green “Todos Los Santos” Lake. Here, a breathtakingview of the snow capped “Volcan Osorno” can be admired. A lunch stop will allowfor you to get a feel of the local cuisine.

Upon your return to Puerto Montt (if time allows), a stop will bemade at the Angelmo market before returning to the pier.

Prices:

On a basis of 2 passengers: $215 USD per person

On a basis of 4 passengers: $140 USD per person

On a basis of 6 passengers: $120 USD per person

On a basis of 8 passengers or more: $110 USD perperson

Prices include entrance fee to the park, but not lunch

Puerto Montt, Puerto Varas and Frutillar

Full Day Activity (7½ hrs)

This tour is ideal for passengers who want to get the best ofPuerto Montt and nearby cities.

Enjoy of a trip that takes you from the ship to the city center ofPuerto Montt, with its picturesque fishing wharf and seafood market, as well asa visit to the main square of Puerto Varas, “City of Roses,” known for itsalpine and traditional German-style architecture.

The excursion continues to Frutillar, one of Chile’s mostcaptivating and popular summer resorts located by the Llanquihue Lake. Admire the eternally snow capped Osorno volcano and take advantage of fabulousphoto opportunities.

Frutillar is a very scenic village full of nice Europeanarchitecture, pleasant gardens, tasty pasties, and a museum that will teleportus to the 19th century, before returning to Puerto Montt.

Prices:

On a basis of 2 passengers: $215 USD per person

On a basis of 4 passengers: $140 USD per person

On a basis of 6 passengers: $120 USD per person

On a basis of 8 passengers or more: $110 USD perperson

Prices do not include lunch

Puerto Montt & Puerto Varas

Half Day Activity (6 hrs)

This tour is ideal for passengers who want to get the best ofPuerto Montt and Puerto Varas.

Prices:

On a basis of 2 passengers: $190 USD per person

On a basis of 4 passengers: $115 USD per person

On a basis of 6 passengers: $100 USD per person

On a basis of 8 passengers or more: $90 USD perperson

Prices do not include lunch

Well you want a private tour? These prices would be ball park.

I would never consider the third tour however. What are you looking to see and do?

Frutillar is simple to just do on your own, so, in my opinion, not worth any "tour". Petrohue falls is the only worthwhile "tour" area, again, just my opinion. Puerto Varas is simply a time consuming add on.

Depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to be guided? Have someone with you? Unease if on your own, Or can you enjoy going on your own?

Just a suggestion - if the price of your chosen tour for 2 is outside your budget and you don't mind company, post the information on your Roll Call just like you posted here. That is how we filled up a number of private excursions on our South America cruise (we didn't stop in Puerto Montt).

I'm away from home without all of my South America info with me, so I don't have prices. We're using Tour Guide Ushuaia.

If you want to temper the price and are willing to share a tour, the Roll Call board for your sailing is a good place to find fellow passengers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

For our group of 8 with this company: http://www.tourslakedistrictchile.com/services.htm the cost pp is $100 + park admission of @$6 Chilean.

I'd also investigated Tours by Locals & there are lots of guides & options for Puerto Montt.

For just 2 people the prices you've posted seem reasonable. The decision for you is whether to invite roll call members to join you or tour with just the 2 of you, in other words Price vs. Privacy.

As far as paying in advance for the company above: I could only pre-pay a 30% deposit via Paypal. Juan, the owner, explained that the fees to him for using a cc or Paypal diminish his income to a degree that impacts him economically. However, in other SA ports I was able to prepay for our entire group in booking Tours by Locals so do check into them!

Edited by TMLAalum

Thanks everyone. I have considered roll call but there are tours requiring X number of people and we are not even close. Of course, it's still a few months away but I'm not sure the roll call tours will happen.

I'm also trying to balance nature tours vs city sightseeing. We have been to a few places and have seen penguins, so we don't necessarily want to do nature tours in each port.

Thanks for all the replies.

Frutillar is simple to just do on your own, so, in my opinion, not worth any "tour". Petrohue falls is the only worthwhile "tour" area, again, just my opinion. Puerto Varas is simply a time consuming add on.

I was thinking of just taking a bus or taxi to Puerto Varas, because of proximity. Is Frutillar that much better that it is worth the extra time involved? Any hints for catching the bus out of this port?

We are not so much concerned about price, but view time actually touring as our most valuable commodity. We also prefer to DIY as much as possible and this port seems like an easy DIY for a first timer around the horn.

One reason to use a guide is to put some money into the local economy.

I have heard nice things about Puerto Varas and want to go there. And Petrohue. Also thinking about Frutillar but I think that is a bit farther away?

Both Frutillar and Porta Vargas are easy to do by public bus.

Since Frutillar is future away, go there first. The bus stops in PV also along the way. Do it on the way back. The bus depot is about 750

meters to the right of the dock where you tender. Look for the name of the city you want to go to

and the clock in the front window will also tell you the time the bus will depart. You will need Chile Peso for

fare. Give yourself plenty of time to return to port. Also in the port area are

are many people with vans selling the same trips as the cruise line for half the price. Outside the gate

are taxi drives work on getting price at a reasonable cost. Write it on a piece of paper so that you both

agree 2 f=? and sign.

Both Frutillar and Porta Vargas are easy to do by public bus.

Since Frutillar is future away, go there first. The bus stops in PV also along the way. Do it on the way back. The bus depot is about 750

meters to the right of the dock where you tender. Look for the name of the city you want to go to

and the clock in the front window will also tell you the time the bus will depart. You will need Chile Peso for

fare. Give yourself plenty of time to return to port. Also in the port area are

are many people with vans selling the same trips as the cruise line for half the price. Outside the gate

are taxi drives work on getting price at a reasonable cost. Write it on a piece of paper so that you both

agree 2 f=? and sign.

Thank you...we prefer to get out of the hermetically sealed bubble when we travel and experience towns as the locals do when possible. This helps immensely.

Another question...what about staying in Puerto Montt?

Sometimes, pushed by the availability of excursions, cruisers overlook the obvious. For example, Marseille in France...perfectly acceptable to stay in town for a first time cruise to the area.

Are the sites outside of Puerto Montt that much better that it is worth the trouble to go elsewhere?

Another question...what about staying in Puerto Montt?

Sometimes, pushed by the availability of excursions, cruisers overlook the obvious. For example, Marseille in France...perfectly acceptable to stay in town for a first time cruise to the area.

Are the sites outside of Puerto Montt that much better that it is worth the trouble to go elsewhere?

Do you want to see a bigger city or smaller town?

Do you want to see a bigger city or smaller town?

I don't find Puerto Mott very interesting. Yep, the Fish Market, mall, marina walkway- art. WATCH where is step- dogs and dog droppings everywhere.

So I am out of this area for my preferences.

I was thinking of just taking a bus or taxi to Puerto Varas, because of proximity. Is Frutillar that much better that it is worth the extra time involved? Any hints for catching the bus out of this port?

We are not so much concerned about price, but view time actually touring as our most valuable commodity. We also prefer to DIY as much as possible and this port seems like an easy DIY for a first timer around the horn.

If taking the local public bus, then get to Frutillar, Puerto Vargas, is ok, about it.

You will walk out the port building, through a gauntlet of vendors,. Turn right and follow the sidewalk to the bus station. Large building. You will have to follow the driveway up to the building doors- do NOT remain on the street. You will be looking for the blue buses (airport, rental shuttle sized) with the sign - Frutillar. Pay the driver and take a seat. This bus goes through Puerto Vargas, if you want add a stop. Plenty to see and do in Frutillar- nice coastal trail. your volcano view, keep looking it comes and goes, worthwhile museums. good bakeries, nice strolling village. Verify where the bus pick up is, there are a few you can catch. Of course, the front of the bus, will have the Puerto Montt sign.

As mentioned, you do need local currency. There are ATM's in Puerto Montt along the main street. (I only use ATM;'s inside banks) . Have an account with no transaction fees, they are high in South America.

I don't find Puerto Mott very interesting. Yep, the Fish Market, mall, marina walkway- art. WATCH where is step- dogs and dog droppings everywhere.

So I am out of this area for my preferences.

Well said. I feel the same way. I'd rather see a small town.