Discover double cash back bonus certificates gone!

Hey everyone.

I've been a Discover cardholder for the better part of two decades and always liked the double CBB certificates they offered through their TA (who has always been great to work with, BTW.) However, I just found out that as of January 11, 2018, they removed that option! :o And I am about to book a 10-night or longer cruise too! :mad: When I asked a Discover supervisor, they had no additional information as to why, and the TA said they were blindsided by it as well. (They also got rid of the double Enterprise car rental option as well.)

These removals drastically reduce the value of the CBB program for me. Of course I realize the program is a perk, not a right, and they can do whatever they please with it. I just wonder why they decided to remove these.

Note that the TA still offers 5% CBB (10% during certain promotions for certain lines,) so at least that's still an option. (Sometimes it's worth more than the double cert, but not always.)

So if you liked the double CBB certificates, I suggest contacting Discover and asking why they removed them and if they could please put them back. If enough of us do that, they may bring them back.

I looked at those deals previously, and never found them to be worthwhile. They were only usable by themselves, not any other offers. Most of the time, I had better offers in my previous guest offer list than that.

It looks like they gutted most travel options. I'm hoping for something like 10% off gift cards. That would be a game-changer for me!

They were only usable by themselves, not any other offers.

Huh. I've always been able to combine them with best available fares (e.g. Saver rates,) as it's a credit the TA and Discover gave, not the cruise line.

I'm hoping for something like 10% off gift cards. That would be a game-changer for me!
They have for a long time offered this with many vendors, e.g. use $20 CBB to get a $25 gift card (so 25% higher value.)

• 4 weeks later...

I was frustrated when I saw Discover's double discount was gone, however...

The last 2 cruises I have saved $100 through an offer from American Express. Google it...you spend $500 on a cruise and get $100 statement credit.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at booking a 10 day cruise and just found that Discover pulled the double reward certificates. It's the only thing I ever used my rewards on. Now I'm left with pretty much movie tickets and air b&b or hotel.com certificates. And those you basically spend $45 and get it rounded up to $50 or $90 rounded up to $100. I'm going to miss the $100 for $200 cruise credit. :loudcry::loudcry:😡😭

• 3 weeks later...

I've been saving up my cashback to take a fun cruise with my family. I'm ready to book only to find out that this deal is gone. I'm super disappointed! With as much as I've saved in cashback, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options as far as giftcards I'm fond of...bummer!

Other than Chase Sapphire, which cards do you think offer most travel rewards/perks?

The Chase Sapphire Reserve is the best overall. American Express Platinum is pretty good if you're booking flights and hotels through the qualifiers. It is worthless for cruises. Depending on your specific scenario, there may be a better solution.