12 suitcases and more....!?

AmandaLMcL

I read on many posts of people taking 6, 8, 10 or more suitcases for a world cruise. Are their cabins like some sort of Tardis that I have yet to discover, (are they suite occupiers) or do they have a special secret that they can share as to how /where they put everything when its unpacked?!

I read on many posts of people taking 6, 8, 10 or more suitcases for a world cruise. Are their cabins like some sort of Tardis that I have yet to discover, (are they suite occupiers) or do they have a special secret that they can share as to how /where they put everything when its unpacked?!

We were in a regular veranda cabin ... quite small actually as we were on a former R ship. We had 8 bags for 180 days ... but considerable amount of space in those bags was taken up by plastic drawers and folding cubes to organize ourselves, consumables such as toiletries and meds, etc. The plastic drawers were donated to the crew at the end of the cruise and we returned with 6 bags ... could have been 5 except we decided to spread things out so the bags would be well under the luggage restrictions for airlines. With what we brought we managed to use every nook and cranny effectively ... kept the really heavy cold weather and our raingear in a suitcase under the bed and pulled them out when needed. Excess toiletries were also in a bag under the bed.

Here’s a post I did with pictures of how we used the available space effectively: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/02/day-27-crossing-south-pacific.html.

Should we do another long-term cruise, I wouldn’t take the multi-hanger things ... everything else proved very useful.

• Like 1

We were in a regular veranda cabin ... quite small actually as we were on a former R ship. We had 8 bags for 180 days ... but considerable amount of space in those bags was taken up by plastic drawers and folding cubes to organize ourselves, consumables such as toiletries and meds, etc. The plastic drawers were donated to the crew at the end of the cruise and we returned with 6 bags ... could have been 5 except we decided to spread things out so the bags would be well under the luggage restrictions for airlines. With what we brought we managed to use every nook and cranny effectively ... kept the really heavy cold weather and our raingear in a suitcase under the bed and pulled them out when needed. Excess toiletries were also in a bag under the bed.

Here’s a post I did with pictures of how we used the available space effectively: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/02/day-27-crossing-south-pacific.html.

Should we do another long-term cruise, I wouldn’t take the multi-hanger things ... everything else proved very useful.

Thank you so much for posting those pictures. Wonderful use of space. And I agree with your decision to remove the ship's wooden hangers and bring the slim, flock covered ones. But why would you not use the multi-slack/skirt hangers again? I would think that they would free up a fair amount of space - no?

And, would substituting the folding 12" boxes that you can get at $General, among other places, work instead of lugging the plastic boxes?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I also would not use the multi hangers again. Because of the piled bulk, they didn't free up as much space as one would think. Also, to get things on and off without dropping everything, I had to squeeze over the other clothes to get the full hanger up. Finally, I made the mistake of bringing plastic ones, and they didn't hold out for the full trip.

Another thing I brought was a plastic under-bed shoe holder, which held 16 pair and fit under the sofa. You do need a sofa with enough space underneath for this to work. It doesn't look like the one in h2so4's room would have been high enough.

I also would not use the multi hangers again. Because of the piled bulk, they didn't free up as much space as one would think. Also, to get things on and off without dropping everything, I had to squeeze over the other clothes to get the full hanger up. Finally, I made the mistake of bringing plastic ones, and they didn't hold out for the full trip.

Another thing I brought was a plastic under-bed shoe holder, which held 16 pair and fit under the sofa. You do need a sofa with enough space underneath for this to work. It doesn't look like the one in h2so4's room would have been high enough.

I appreciate your response. Thank you.

Love the fact you mentioned the TARDIS in your post!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What ship and cabin category were you on? We will be on HAL's Amsterdam in a balcony cabin. Wondering if there will be enough room under the sofa in that cabin for a shoe

holder.

What ship and cabin category were you on? We will be on HAL's Amsterdam in a balcony cabin. Wondering if there will be enough room under the sofa in that cabin for a shoe

holder.

I was on the Crystal Serenity, lowest level balcony cabin. You might check the HAL forum to see if anyone knows how much space is under the sofa in your type cabin. Perhaps ask someone currently on board or soon to board to measure. Or, if no measuring device is available, have them see if a shoe like an oxford or walking shoe will easily fit under it sideways.

Note that if you have a cabin that has a sofa bed, there undoubtedly will NOT be enough space underneath.

I was on the Crystal Serenity, lowest level balcony cabin. You might check the HAL forum to see if anyone knows how much space is under the sofa in your type cabin. Perhaps ask someone currently on board or soon to board to measure. Or, if no measuring device is available, have them see if a shoe like an oxford or walking shoe will easily fit under it sideways.

Note that if you have a cabin that has a sofa bed, there undoubtedly will NOT be enough space underneath.

We do have a sofa bed. Glad you mentioned that. Thanks.

We take eight to nine suitcases.

While in a suite our first world cruise was in a standard room.

Often one suitcase is dedicated to toiletries/medicines, etc and we keep it under the bed and take out items when needed.

Often we have a suitcase of say clothing for the cold weather and will keep the items in it and underneath the bed until we need them.

We bring our own hangers that take up less space.

We also have some hangers where you can hang multiple items on them.

Keith

Thank you so much for posting those pictures. Wonderful use of space. And I agree with your decision to remove the ship's wooden hangers and bring the slim, flock covered ones. But why would you not use the multi-slack/skirt hangers again? I would think that they would free up a fair amount of space - no?

And, would substituting the folding 12" boxes that you can get at $General, among other places, work instead of lugging the plastic boxes?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

We just found those multi-hanger drop down things saved space on the rod, but added bulk below and often creased clothes. Just our preference. Those 12” boxes would probably work. We had these plastic drawers that we were going to throw out, so we figured we would get another use out of them first. We stuffed them with other things we were going to pack anyway, so they weren’t shipped empty.

We just found those multi-hanger drop down things saved space on the rod, but added bulk below and often creased clothes.

I bought 3 multi-hanger things and a 6-skirt hanger to take on my cruise last month to see if I liked them, in preparation for next year's world cruise. They worked out fine and took much less space than if the clothing items were all hanging next to each other. I did take "skinny" wire hangers, though, as the wood ones wouldn't have worked well - just left the wire hangers on the ship.

I bought 3 multi-hanger things and a 6-skirt hanger to take on my cruise last month to see if I liked them, in preparation for next year's world cruise. They worked out fine and took much less space than if the clothing items were all hanging next to each other. I did take "skinny" wire hangers, though, as the wood ones wouldn't have worked well - just left the wire hangers on the ship.

Thanks for your input. I use the multi-garment hangers at home. Perhaps I have been deluding myself, but I do think they save some space. Bringing wire hangers or the skinny flocked ones is a good idea. Does that mean that I can bring more clothes?clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

I agree that bringing a lot of things during world cruise is advisable to prevent inconvenience but we should also consider the size of the suite. Book for a big suite and rest assure that there are enough space for 10-12 suitcase.

• 7 months later...

We took 4 cases on the last WC and will take the same number on our next WC. One is needed for toiletries, medications, first aid kit, etc and it stays under the bed unless required. DW also brings stuff for all seasons, so anything out of season also stays under the bed.

No issues with storage space.

On our World Cruise we met a solo female traveler who rented two suites. One for sleeping, etc. and the other for her clothing. The line took out the bed and put in hanging racks. It was a sight to behold.

As a solo cruiser, I've seen many posts here on Cruise Critic criticizing solos for "getting something for nothing" and not doing our share of onboard spending to compensate for the missing cabin mate.

I wonder how the cruise line handled that situation, as a suite is a prime piece of real estate? Even if no one was in the other cabin, it still needed tending to, and it wasn't generating any revenue from onboard spending. I wonder if they made the lady pay a surcharge for the other suite? Obviously she has a lot of disposable income. :rolleyes:

Roz

I took with me 2 suitcases and a carry-on. I shipped two suitcases and a medium sized box of specific toiletry, first aid, and over the counter medical items that I prefer to use. Because of gauging the amount of the items shipped in the box before the cruise, I returned home with only a surplus of toothpaste and first aid items. Clothes: there was stuff that I never wore!

I found depending on the ship's laundry facilities to be the better answer as compared to the over-packing that I had done. One more example, I think, that one never stops learning!

I can't imagine 6 or 8 suitcases, but I suspect that some of my everyday wear would get pretty worn out, so I'd have to either bring extra t-shirts and capris, shorts and the like, or go on shopping sprees during the cruise. I had thought perhaps 3-4 cases would be enough, plus carry-ons. I am obviously not a clothes-horse, and my husband even less so.

As for medications, those would have to be in a carry-on, at least the prescription drugs. I suspect for both of us, we could fit a 4-month supply in one rollaboard.

I like the idea of bringing regular wire hangers to save space. And perhaps those cloth bags from the $store. I'd buy toiletries at the last minute, at the embarkation port, having studied how much we need of things like toothpaste, mouthwash, hairspray, etc.

Good thread!

We just found those multi-hanger drop down things saved space on the rod, but added bulk below and often creased clothes. Just our preference. Those 12” boxes would probably work. We had these plastic drawers that we were going to throw out, so we figured we would get another use out of them first. We stuffed them with other things we were going to pack anyway, so they weren’t shipped empty.

We did their (Viking’s) WC and loved it . All I can say is, unless you are a cloth horse the storage on the ship works OK . We didn’t pack any folding boxes or over the door shoe bags . Just remember to put your extras back in your suitcase under your bed . The 1st cruise included free clothes washing , which is not currently available on subsequent WC .That was a big help , but the passengers abused it , like the medical service , so it’s also not available or pay as you go . My wife and I are doing the World Treasures Cruise (127 Days) next fall and we learned that you pick your outfits and pack only these items. Start with New items because by the time you get home, you will be so tired of seeing these items and you’ll throw them out . The laundry is not kind on your clothes so don’t pack items that won’t stand up to this abuse. We actually only packed Warm Weather clothes on the 1st WC which made it easier. Remember Cambodia and Egypt the temps where extremely Hot almost unbearable (Cambodia-February early March and Egypt was in April ).

Just try and not go overboard. Remember what you take, you have to take home!

I know one thing , I’m thinking of leaving my heavy 35mm camera and lens home . Almost never used them . I took my I phone everywhere and loved the photos it took .

Enjoy your trip - Viking does it well and I know now that I have to loose 20+ lbs before our cruise just to stay even .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...

A few questions, thank u in advance!:  we r going on crystal world cruise 2020 jan 22-April 21.

1. How do you manage variations of “dressy “ clothes for 89 nights?!? How many cocktail dresses for women  (men: suits etc)  for the 3 months?  How many informal “outfits”? If ie 12 +? formal nights, do u wear same thing 2- 3-4 times? Or?

2. What is the dress code (men and women) for a casual dinner at waterside? Or any of the serenity restaurants?  Or just a salad at the marketplace? Or just a show? Or just a drink at a casual bar?

3. Sounds like even “informal “ nights are still

somewhat dressy so, again, how many changes of clothes do we bring for the ie 30-40 of those nights??!! Realize we do laundry and have things dry cleaned but so curious as to approximately how many of these eve changes of clothes do we bring? Thank u!!! Janie and Bernie from denver. 

34 minutes ago, JBL919 said:

A few questions, thank u in advance!:  we r going on crystal world cruise 2020 jan 22-April 21.

1. How do you manage variations of “dressy “ clothes for 89 nights?!? How many cocktail dresses for women  (men: suits etc)  for the 3 months?  How many informal “outfits”? If ie 12 +? formal nights, do u wear same thing 2- 3-4 times? Or?

2. What is the dress code (men and women) for a casual dinner at waterside? Or any of the serenity restaurants?  Or just a salad at the marketplace? Or just a show? Or just a drink at a casual bar?

3. Sounds like even “informal “ nights are still

somewhat dressy so, again, how many changes of clothes do we bring for the ie 30-40 of those nights??!! Realize we do laundry and have things dry cleaned but so curious as to approximately how many of these eve changes of clothes do we bring? Thank u!!! Janie and Bernie from denver. 

Probably best to ask your questions on the Crystal Cruises Board.

We are booked with Viking, which has no formal nights, as every evening is elegant casual. I take 2 or 3 pairs of dress trousers, a couple of dress shirts and probably about a dozen golf/polo shirts. Although not required, I might take a jacket, but definitely no suit.

• Like 1

We are thinking less is more. My husband is planning on one sport coat that he will wear on the plane. We are on Regent so resort casual. He will probably bring 3 pairs  of nice slacks and several shirts. Then casual shorts/slacks/ jeans and shirts. I am more of a challenge as I am 5’2” tall and can put on weight by just looking at food. 5 pounds can increase my pants size. I am going to have to watch what I eat/ drink and exercise every chance I get. We are hoping for 2- 3 bags plus carry ons. My tech husband is planning on his computer and camera gear  I am going to make a Walmart or Target run in Miami for things like sunscreen etc. We are traveling with our best friends and she packs light. She is planning on 1 bag and a carry on. I have seen her pack and I believe she will do it.

1 hour ago, travelwell said:

We are thinking less is more. My husband is planning on one sport coat that he will wear on the plane. We are on Regent so resort casual. He will probably bring 3 pairs  of nice slacks and several shirts. Then casual shorts/slacks/ jeans and shirts. I am more of a challenge as I am 5’2” tall and can put on weight by just looking at food. 5 pounds can increase my pants size. I am going to have to watch what I eat/ drink and exercise every chance I get. We are hoping for 2- 3 bags plus carry ons. My tech husband is planning on his computer and camera gear  I am going to make a Walmart or Target run in Miami for things like sunscreen etc. We are traveling with our best friends and she packs light. She is planning on 1 bag and a carry on. I have seen her pack and I believe she will do it.

Sounds about like us. Except I doubt I can get David to even bring a jacket; I may be able to persuade him to buy something lightweight here in Florida for cool evenings.

I (the packer), always pack light, but I'm thinking to be a little more extravagant this time, especially with the luggage shipment included.  I will be haunting Beall's here in Florida next winter for resort-wear bargains for myself and some nice new shirts for him--I'm thinking that routine day-wear may get really boring after 4 months.  And I may spring for a cocktail dress, or just bring my beautiful Indian silk salwar kameez, if it fits me then--I too angst about my weight constantly, so who knows?  Trying to diet for the next two years, lol.