Obese Person and Tour Bus

On a recent excursion, a large couple got on the bus with some assistance, but they barely fit down the aisle and each one took up a seat designed for two. The bus was not full, so nobody was displaced, but it did beg the questions - 1) were they charged for two seats each and 2) if we were the last couple to board and there were no seats left, what would happen?

On a recent excursion, a large couple got on the bus with some assistance, but they barely fit down the aisle and each one took up a seat designed for two. The bus was not full, so nobody was displaced, but it did beg the questions - 1) were they charged for two seats each and 2) if we were the last couple to board and there were no seats left, what would happen?

Trying not to be offended here ... DH and I are both rather "fluffy" persons and he has some mobility issues. We have and can sit next to each other on tour buses, but if the bus is not full and there are seats available, we will each take a seat for comfort. We always sit toward the front of the bus due to DH's size and mobility issues. In fact, if the seats in the front have been taken in the past, the tour operator politely asks those persons to relocate if they are not mobility impaired in any way.

Now, to answer your questions: (1) No, they probably did not each pay for two TOURS each. (2) If the seats were all taken, they would be asked to sit together, sit with someone else, or leave the tour.

Well, I can identify. My last flight the man in the window seat the row behind us was quite obese. There was no way anyone could have lowered the armrest - he took up 30% of the aisle seat. The woman assigned to that seat was aghast. She refused to sit there. She was not obese, even a little. but it appalled her to have to sit plastered that closely to a stranger of the opposite sex. Or even any sex. A younger woman finally offered to sit there and allow the other woman her seat. I think the flight was full. The attendant was at a loss as to what to do. Maybe if the protesters here get assigned that seat next, they will change their opinion. EM

They should have offloaded the man who couldn’t fit in his seat. You must have the arm rest down for take off and landing.

Absolutely ridiculous that this happens, if you can’t fit in one seat, purchase two.

They should have offloaded the man who couldn’t fit in his seat. You must have the arm rest down for take off and landing.

Absolutely ridiculous that this happens, if you can’t fit in one seat, purchase two.

Most airlines require that the person purchase 2 seats if said person does not fit into 1 seat. Therefore the armrest between the 2 seats purchased does not have to be down for take off or landing.

Even if the passenger purchased 2 seats, if the flight is over booked more often than not the airlines will refund the 2nd seat so as not to bump another passenger. This is the part of the equation that the passengers in the same row aren't told.

Most airlines require that the person purchase 2 seats if said person does not fit into 1 seat. Therefore the armrest between the 2 seats purchased does not have to be down for take off or landing.

CC - where people have a never ending need to correct others over the most trivial matters.

Did I miss something here, I thought the OP mentioned on a tour bus excursion. In my mind the OP answered some of their own ?’s, the bus was NOT full, no others were displaced, your last question isn’t relevant on this tour. Sorry but don’t worry about other people that had no impact on you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Did I miss something here, I thought the OP mentioned on a tour bus excursion. In my mind the OP answered some of their own ?’s, the bus was NOT full, no others were displaced, your last question isn’t relevant on this tour. Sorry but don’t worry about other people that had no impact on you.

No you didn't miss anything . The subject changed as a result of Post #3 .

Well, I can identify. My last flight the man in the window seat the row behind us was quite obese. There was no way anyone could have lowered the armrest - he took up 30% of the aisle seat. The woman assigned to that seat was aghast. She refused to sit there. She was not obese, even a little. but it appalled her to have to sit plastered that closely to a stranger of the opposite sex. Or even any sex. A younger woman finally offered to sit there and allow the other woman her seat. I think the flight was full. The attendant was at a loss as to what to do. Maybe if the protesters here get assigned that seat next, they will change their opinion. EM

As someone who flies often, I can definitely state that this was NOT the fault of the person who you mention. He was probably just as embarrassed and aghast as the lady who refused to sit next to him. This was the airline's fault. All gate agents are trained to identify persons of size and make the necessary accommodations for them, which vary by airline and could include rebooking the person of size on another flight where there would be additional seating available. Since you don't state which airline were on, I could not comment on their policy.

I can comment on the policy for Southwest Airlines (on which it doesn't appear you were). They require a person to be able to occupy their seat and lower the armrest (no, interior armrests are not required to be lowered for take-off and landing, only the exterior armrest). If a person does not meet this standard, they will provide an additional seat at no charge to the passenger. If such accommodation cannot be made, they will seek volunteers to take another flight or rebook the effected individual.

Fat-shaming is never okay and while I would expect of multiple people here on CC, I would never have expected to see if of the two of you.

Fat-shaming is never okay and while I would expect of multiple people here on CC, I would never have expected to see if of the two of you.

It's the last bastion of "acceptable" bigotry.

There's some guy on the Royal Caribbean boards who has declared that anyone who uses a mobility scooter onboard is too fat ("at least 200 pounds overweight," he says) and lazy to walk. Seriously, he said that. I had to back out of that thread FAST because I didn't trust what my fingers would type if I let them anywhere near the keyboard.

How you came to that conclusion is a puzzle. If someone can't safely fit in one airline seat, and they've failed to book two seats, it's not safe, for them or their neighboring passenger. To say they should be placed on a flight that could accommodate them safely is not "fat shaming."

How you came to that conclusion is a puzzle. If someone can't safely fit in one airline seat, and they've failed to book two seats, it's not safe, for them or their neighboring passenger. To say they should be placed on a flight that could accommodate them safely is not "fat shaming."

I suppose I was reacting more to Essiesmom's comments; however, you make the assumption that the "obese" person knew that he was violating the airlines rules for persons of size, or that he even was violating them. Not every airline has the same rules and it is up to the airline to enforce them. Is it possible that he should have been re-accommodated (not "offloaded" as though he was freight) to another flight? Of course.

Would you have the same thing to say about a body-builder whose shoulders take up 30% of my seat, although he fits nicely into the seat and is able to buckle in without a belt extender? I've had that happen.

I’m not sure why the OP started the original post in the first place, I feel this has gone down hill and it has turned into fat shaming. I can only hope those negative posters are able to stay slim, trim and have no mobility issues in the future.

I suppose I was reacting more to Essiesmom's comments; however, you make the assumption that the "obese" person knew that he was violating the airlines rules for persons of size, or that he even was violating them. Not every airline has the same rules and it is up to the airline to enforce them. Is it possible that he should have been re-accommodated (not "offloaded" as though he was freight) to another flight? Of course.

Would you have the same thing to say about a body-builder whose shoulders take up 30% of my seat, although he fits nicely into the seat and is able to buckle in without a belt extender? I've had that happen.

Whoa, I think you distorted things a bit. No one else is responsible for our disabilities nor do we have the right “not to know”. If we impose our problems on others, we are the ones that are wrong. As individuals, we are responsible for what ever may require. We may do it through insurance, Medicare or direct payment or other means that do not impose upon anyone else.

Likewise, an obese person that may require two seats, should know to check out the issue before booking the flight. If the person requires two seats, he/she should either pay for two seats or make some sort of arranges in order to avoid creating an awkward situation for anyone else. This is part of real life.

For people that cannot walk, if someone else mentions that person needs a device to walk, is that shaming? Or if the individual is like me and can walk, but cannot breath when exerting myself, does that mean they are going to shame me because I use mobile device so I can breath and not fear for my life? Where does your logic begin and end?

As far as the thread starter, that individual went overboard. The situation did not have any effect on him in any aspect, yet he elected to stick his nose in. Unfortunately, his manner came across as being rude. Yes, I too feel it was rude. Unfortunately, there is a lot of ignorance in the world and many do not realize that overweight may be a disability. I would believe that the majority obese are disabled and have gone through extensive efforts to loose weight for their own benefit.

There is nothing wrong with Essiesmom's post. If the man would have purchased two seats, the situation would not have happened and no one would be expected to share their paid for seat with him. If anyone was wrong there, it was the airline for allowing the situation in the first place. Of course, if the airline insisted that he pay for the second seat he used, they would be accused of “fat shaming” and to hell with the innocent individual that did not get the seat she paid for.

I can guarantee you that sharing cheek space on an airplane is no fun, even if it is with a friend. And sharing shoulder space would be uncomfortable to many of us. Why should I have to share my paid space with any portion of another person? If the individual did not pay for two spaces, that individual should not be taking two seats.

Unfortunately, I think the airline would say that you paid for passage, not cheek space.

But as far as my original post...It was written in response for a plethora of posts that absolutely blasted the OP for even thinking there was a problem and being prejudiced, yadda yadda yadda. The were deservedly removed. When I wrote it, it was probably closer to #10 than #3. EM