Mariner Code Red questions

pdaniel

Mariner has been in and out of Code Red for over a year. I have not read about illness outbreaks on any of the other Regent ships.

What is it about Mariner that makes it susceptible to Code Red? Has anyone else had this occur over the past year on any ship other than Mariner?

Welcome to the Regent board!

I do not think that there is anything different with the Mariner other than where she is currently sailing and where she has been sailing. Mariner has been in and around the U.S. where flu and cold season has been much higher than in recent years. Not sure what the issues are in parts of South America but this has been an issue off and on for years. It just so happens that the Mariner "hangs out" in South America a lot (this will change when the Mariner does the World Cruise).

During our recent cruise to the Amazon on Mariner, the Captain said that there are typically outbreaks (not sure of what illness) when the ship is in the Amazon/Brazil. While we were in the Amazon, the Navigator went Code Red for 48 hours (she was in the Caribbean) and the Voyager was Code Red on our Bali to Sydney cruise. This tends to happen on cruise ships where everyone is in close proximity to each other. Regent does take "Code Red" a bit further than other cruise lines (according to what I have been recently while onboard). If any communicable disease affects a certain percentage of passengers (low percentage), they go into Code Red to avoid spreading the illness.

There are currently two Code Red type threads that are going on. Reading them may help!

I was trying to be polite. Sorry if you did not get that impression. We were on Mariner during Code Red and I did speak with the Captain as well as management in Miami. There really isn't much more to say other than these illnesses spread quickly on cruise ship and require diligence to keep the ship safe (diligence on the part of the passengers as well as the crew).

There really isn't much more to say other than these illnesses spread quickly on cruise ship and require diligence to keep the ship safe (diligence on the part of the passengers as well as the crew).

What makes Mariner unique in the Regent fleet to have so many Code Reds?

Has anyone else had this occur over the past year on any ship other than Mariner?

There really isn't much more to say other than these illnesses spread quickly on cruise ship and require diligence to keep the ship safe (diligence on the part of the passengers as well as the crew).

What makes Mariner unique in the Regent fleet to have so many Code Reds?

Has anyone else had this occur over the past year on any ship other than Mariner?

As indicated above, the Navigator had a Code Red in early December! And, IMO, it is the areas where the Mariner has been sailing that has caused the Code Reds. I'm really trying to understand what you are trying to determine and not trying to be rude. People on CC are not always aware of what is happening onboard the ships - we only know if someone posts. Keep in mind that only 5% (approximately) of Regent guests post on CC so many things happen that we are not aware of. Had I not posted about the Navigator Code Red*, no one would be aware of it.

*I was aware of it because I had approval to visit the ship when the Mariner and Navigator were in port together. At the last minute we were told that no one from Mariner could visit Navigator and visa versa due to Code Red. So, I posted this information on CC.

At least four. There could have been Code Reds on other Regent ships but as I indicated on the other thread, unless someone is onboard that posts about it on Cruise Critic, we don't know what is going on. I believe that I was the only CC member that posted about Code Red on Navigator (it only lasted 48 hours). We have been on Voyager with Code Red but not recently and, to my knowledge, there has never been a Code Red on Explorer.

Hopefully others will chime in to confirm what I think is true so that we can put this discussion to bed.

P.S. As some you probably know - there is a Norovirus issue at the Olympics. It can happen anywhere!

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks, T.C. For the update. Since we’re on the T.A. After the refurbishment, I feel very confident the Mariner will be in pristine shape. First time on her, after a couple on Voyager and Navigator. Can’t wait to cruise on her on our first T.A..😊

Aloha, Laurie

Thanks, T.C. For the update. Since we’re on the T.A. After the refurbishment, I feel very confident the Mariner will be in pristine shape. First time on her, after a couple on Voyager and Navigator. Can’t wait to cruise on her on our first T.A..😊

Aloha, Laurie

Have a wonderful cruise Laurie.

Aloha,

Jackie

• 2 months later...
Thanks, T.C. For the update. Since we’re on the T.A. After the refurbishment, I feel very confident the Mariner will be in pristine shape. First time on her, after a couple on Voyager and Navigator. Can’t wait to cruise on her on our first T.A..[emoji4]

Aloha, Laurie

People came onboard the Navigator at various points with colds and flu symptoms. It spread throughout he ship during the world cruise in 2017. There was also the Agra experience of diarrhea and stomach illness brought onboard. Some people were restricted to their cabins for 24 hours. Not enough time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't believe the condition of the ship has anything to do with communicable illnesses. As already stated above, the Code Red situations occur when a number of people on board (guests or crew) report symptoms. Once a percentage has been reached, then additional actions are taken until reports of the outbreak of whatever-it-is stop. Travelling in some parts of the world makes one particularly susceptible to illness - regardless of which ship one is sailing on (or not).

Having sailed in Code Red conditions for a while on a couple of cruises, I can assure the TS that the crew take every action possible to prevent the spread of any illness but ultimately, the responsibility is our own to maintain personal hygiene, to report symptoms promptly and follow medical advice offered. "Soldiering on" does no one any favours.