WiFi Confusion??

Trout bum50

Hello,

Family leaving Sunday on Carnival Conquest for 6 day Caribbean cruise.

I have android phone and wife/kids have iphone. ATT mobile share plan. I am looking to just be able to send and receive texts from my pet sitter back home in CT, but am confused by roaming, cellular, wifi, airplane mode, etc. I am not looking for data to watch videos, send emails, etc.

1. Can I send and receive texts with roaming and cellular off? I do have wifi calling on my phone.?

2. I read somewhere that ATT is .50/text to send and free to receive. If I do this, do I need to enable roaming?

3. Do I keep phone in airplane mode the entire cruise?

There is an internet plan, ATT has a cruise, talk ,and text for $50.00. If I chose that, would I still keep roaming off and airplane mode on?

Or for about $60.00 I could get Carnival Wifi plan---would I be able to receive and send texts through wifi?

My real dilemma is not knowing when to turn roaming on/off, airplane mode on/off, data on/off.

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

If you plan to buy the ship's internet, then you can use your WiFi calling. Turn Airplane Mode on, turn WiFi on, and connect to the ship's internet service. Your phone should be fully functional.

Note that by turning Airplane Mode on, the phone is disconnected from the cellular network, so you don't have to worry about cellular roaming or cellular data.

Hello,

Family leaving Sunday on Carnival Conquest for 6 day Caribbean cruise.

I have android phone and wife/kids have iphone. ATT mobile share plan. I am looking to just be able to send and receive texts from my pet sitter back home in CT, but am confused by roaming, cellular, wifi, airplane mode, etc. I am not looking for data to watch videos, send emails, etc.

1. Can I send and receive texts with roaming and cellular off? I do have wifi calling on my phone.?

2. I read somewhere that ATT is .50/text to send and free to receive. If I do this, do I need to enable roaming?

3. Do I keep phone in airplane mode the entire cruise?

There is an internet plan, ATT has a cruise, talk ,and text for $50.00. If I chose that, would I still keep roaming off and airplane mode on?

Or for about $60.00 I could get Carnival Wifi plan---would I be able to receive and send texts through wifi?

My real dilemma is not knowing when to turn roaming on/off, airplane mode on/off, data on/off.

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

What you have to remember is that there are three types of communication: voice, text (SMS) and data. With newer smart phones, all three items can be delivered over a cellular connection or a wifi connection.

Airplane Mode "on" stops everything. But you can then turn back on WIFi (though you'll need access -paid or otherwise authorized - to the internet)

Airplane mode off? You'll need to pay attention to "roaming" since, if you don't block voice roaming and/or cellular data, you will be using the smartphone as if you were at home though the voice, text and data rates will be significantly higher.

Unless you've set them to prefer SMS text (which is cellular like voice), iPhones use data (either cellular or wifi) to send their own version of texts (iMessage) to other iPhones. You'll know it's iMessage from the blue text bubbles. Green text bubbles mean the "text" is going to some other kind of phone via regular SMS text. The difference? Blue uses data (wifi or cellular) and green uses SMS text.

Plans like AT&T Passport give you discounted rates on voice (cellular), text (SMS) and/or data (cellular). By contrast, performing those three functions over a wifi connection subjects you to the charges (paid or provided) for data from the wifi network provider.

Make sense now? If not, call AT&T and ask specifically for the International Desk. Also, while you're at it, replace that Android phone with an iPhone [emoji6]

From my earlier post on this subject:

Your iPhone has voice (cellular), "text" (SMS) and data connectivity (both via your cellular provider and via your home or another wifi network). Your iPad (without cellular capability, I.e., no SIM or built-in voice/text electronics) has only data connectivity (wi fi).

The iMessage (text) function on Apple devices uses data connections (via wifi data or cellular data but not true SMS text) to send/receive "texts" from other Apple devices. (The text bubbles are blue). For communication with non-Apple devices, regular SMS text function, supplied by your cellular service provider, is used (the text bubbles are green).

With no cellular and SMS text capability, your iPad will still receive data based iMessage texts as long as you have wifi connected (and it will use some of your data allotment).

But, for the iPhone, you need to be very careful that your settings for cellular data are what you want them to be (abroad, usually turn off cellular phone and data roaming) and rely on trustworthy wifi only (note that free wifi in a port is often being hacked by someone).

BTW, with a newer generation iPhone, you can do calling, iMessage texting and internet all on wifi. But, remember you want that data on wifi and not on cellular.

Find an Apple Store near you and sign up for free classes that will address this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55590386

Here’s my suggestion,,, ask your kids. You’ve gotten this far in life, I bet they would love to help you.

Heck, back in the day, I asked my son if would would teach me how to text. He looked at me like I was weird but was proud to help.

Thanks everyone for the input! Just wondering Host Clarea, will Wifi calling work using Carnival's wifi or do I need to be hooked into ATT??

Also, just asked some students of mine and was suggested to use TextFree or TextNow app with my Android

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the input! Just wondering Host Clarea, will Wifi calling work using Carnival's wifi or do I need to be hooked into ATT??

Also, just asked some students of mine and was suggested to use TextFree or TextNow app with my Android

Thanks again!

WiFi calling should work, unless Carnival is blocking it.

I would ask that question on the dedicated Carnival forum here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Thanks again!

Actually, if you purchase an AT&T Passport plan (that includes data) for your trip, you would be able to connect to AT&T and partner (e.g., Vodaphone, Orange, etc) wifi hotspots ashore at no cost. This does not include AT&T Cellular at Sea when you are at sea.

As for wifi calling, as aforementioned, the ship's own wifi network (to which you have been granted access (paid or otherwise) is okay for streaming voice and data as long as those functions are not being blocked by the cruise line (e.g., face time).

Just be aware of the kids using their phones. My neighbor came home to a huge phone bill because the kids were using their phones to text and surf the web.

Yes, decide ahead of time what communication method you will be using and either take the kids phones or make sure they understand not to change the settings. Texting/calling isn’t crazily priced if you end up roaming ($0.50 a text and $2 a min I think, at least for Verizon); but the important thing is you know that you are doing it. Data can run in the background. And a megabyte (which costs me $0.02 on overages at home), costs $2 when you are roaming. A person on her not long ago took her roaming off for a few minutes to make a call and ended up with a $70 bill due to data roaming. The kids can inadvertently rack up a heck of a bill if this isn’t communicated.

Personally, unless one of the pets is sick and you need to contact sitter daily, I wouldn’t bother with WiFi plans or roaming. At your ports if you see a Starbucks or stop for lunch you can connect to the free WiFi and send/receive a quick email or Facebook messenger with the pet sitter and be on your way.

Or, simply give the pet sitter the emergency number for Carnival...along with your ship and cabin #...and IF there is some sort of emergency, they can call you!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

as you are less than a week away and don't understand any of this what CB said is probably the best solution. Trying to rush and figure it out at the last minute will probably only end up going badly. (either by not being able to communicate or ending up with a large bill you didn't expect.) Along with putting all phones in airplane mode (that way you can still take pics or listen to downloaded music) or turning them off to avoid any possible connections by accident.

I am also confused about this wifi/roaming/data/ stuff. But, if I understand correctly, would this work for me:

Keep airplane mode on at all times, and wifi turned on. Get the wifi package on board. Then, when ashore, I can go online at any place that has free wifi. And I can go online when on the ship. All I really need to do is check my email 1-2x/day, and post a couple quick pics on FB for family.

I will not be able to send/receive any texts this way though, correct? Unless I download something like Whatsapp? (android, not iphone)

I am also confused about this wifi/roaming/data/ stuff. But, if I understand correctly, would this work for me:

Keep airplane mode on at all times, and wifi turned on. Get the wifi package on board. Then, when ashore, I can go online at any place that has free wifi. And I can go online when on the ship. All I really need to do is check my email 1-2x/day, and post a couple quick pics on FB for family.

I will not be able to send/receive any texts this way though, correct? Unless I download something like Whatsapp? (android, not iphone)

Close but no cigar.

If you have an iPhone and want to text to an iPhone or other Apple device, iMessage is the default "texter" but bitbis using wifi or cellular data rather than SMS text.

Be careful of "free" wifi in a port. Many phony sites and easy hacking of your data. Google the NBC Rossen Reports on wifi in port and resort areas.

Close but no cigar.

If you have an iPhone and want to text to an iPhone or other Apple device, iMessage is the default "texter" but bitbis using wifi or cellular data rather than SMS text.

Be careful of "free" wifi in a port. Many phony sites and easy hacking of your data. Google the NBC Rossen Reports on wifi in port and resort areas.

It's a Droid, not iPhone

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No thanks, I'll pass. [emoji336]

But I still am confused....does any part of my plan work?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Regular "Texts" provided by cell service providers are SMS, which is neither "voice" nor "data." App substitutes (iMessage et al.) use "data" (either cellular or wifi).

On newer smart phones, one can call or text (and surf the web) using wifi data rather than "voice" and "SMS text" respectively.

So, yes, you can do everything with just wifi data as long as you have a newer phone, a ship wifi internet plan and the ship does not block streaming data for those kind of functions.

As for using port "free wifi," it could be the most expensive free thing you ever use. Watch the NBC Rossen Reports.