New Wifi system on Oceania

captjohn

On the Navigator right now and they have a wireless air printer. I can print from my Ipad without any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks BBWC & TC2.

It is good to know that there are wireless air printers on some of Regent ships.

There isn’t one on Mariner and I have just checked with the Internet Manager who told me that as far as he is aware there is no intention to get one :(

Thanks BBWC & TC2.

It is good to know that there are wireless air printers on some of Regent ships.

There isn’t one on Mariner and I have just checked with the Internet Manager who told me that as far as he is aware there is no intention to get one :(

I could be remembering the Explorer where we did four cruises in a short period of time. Although we have devices in our suite, I prefer using the computers in the computer room on Mariner and Voyager ..... the keyboard is more ergonomic than on laptops and tablets. On Explorer, there are not enough computers so I was using my own devices and printing via their wireless printer.

As an aside, I checked with my DH (who worked on the space program for 37 years) about interference with Wi-fi from atmospherics. He said that there are a myriad of issues that could be going on that affect the signal ....... weather (in space - not just if it raining or stormy locally, etc.), overlapping signals, weak signals in different parts of the world, etc. So, you don't need mountains to affect the signal as there are plenty of other reasons why the signals are affected. This not does, however, explain why Regent was sold a product that didn't do what it was promised to do.

IMHO, with the technology available in recent years, it is not ‘rocket science’ to provide a consistent acceptable internet service for at least 95% of the time on board a luxury cruise line.

It just needs management to prioritise the issue which, from recent comments, is maybe about to happen. Let’s hope so.

I can’t say that I miss the internet when I’m on sea trip.

Part of the joy is to get away from the virtual world and get back in touch with the real one.

I agree, but there’s another side to it. Part of the joy on a lovely sea trip is finally having the time to browse the books, newspapers and magazines to which I subscribe digitally, and to stay informed and connected to what’s happening in our “real world.”

IMHO, with the technology available in recent years, it is not ‘rocket science’ to provide a consistent acceptable internet service for at least 95% of the time on board a luxury cruise line.

It just needs management to prioritise the issue which, from recent comments, is maybe about to happen. Let’s hope so.

It apparently does take computer experts, scientists and engineers to explain to posters that there are black-out areas, weak, overlap areas and atmospherics that affect our Wi-Fi. I am thankful to the experts that give some insight into the issues of a ship moving around the world and picking up the satellite. I do not think that we can place a percentage on our internet service since there are places in the world where you could have difficulties for days - if the ship remain in those areas.

Just heard from our TA and, currently, there is excellent internet access on the Voyager in Vietnam. It might be interesting to start a thread where people can report how the internet is in different parts of the world. Perhaps we could learn something.......

It apparently does take computer experts, scientists and engineers to explain to posters that there are black-out areas, weak, overlap areas and atmospherics that affect our Wi-Fi. I am thankful to the experts that give some insight into the issues of a ship moving around the world and picking up the satellite. I do not think that we can place a percentage on our internet service since there are places in the world where you could have difficulties for days - if the ship remain in those areas.

Just heard from our TA and, currently, there is excellent internet access on the Voyager in Vietnam. It might be interesting to start a thread where people can report how the internet is in different parts of the world. Perhaps we could learn something.......

I think we’re all well aware of factors beyond the ship’s control that can disrupt onboard internet. But even taking all that into account, wouldn’t you agree that the general impression of Regent’s internet is at best below average?

I think we’re all well aware of factors beyond the ship’s control that can disrupt onboard internet. But even taking all that into account, wouldn’t you agree that the general impression of Regent’s internet is at best below average?

Agree that it is below average sometimes - not all the time. In our suite on our last cruise, the internet was as good as we have at home (Comcast cable) most of the time - not all of the time. And, the computer room was horrible 100% of the time. Not sure if the fact that the computers in the computer room were crap (can I say that?) and half of them weren't working (except when the computer guru fixed them and they would break down again) was the cause.

Does the device that you are using matter on a ship? I'm asking because some people are using really old laptops and tablets. In the suite I was using an 8 month old MacBook Air.

P.S. I question whether posters are all aware of issues beyond the control of Regent. This thread seems to blame Regent for everything.

While I agree a single piece of the puzzle of internet reception at sea isn't the complete reason for poor internet, neither are comments like best I've ever had, just like home, poor here and bad there, etc. Words are highly subjective and even more so when based on people comparing something to something that may vary in every household and locating on earth.

In order to draw any conclusions and determine if it is a Regent issue, a provider issue, sun spots, blocking mountains/buildings, etc., a much better method is for people to run speed tests in various ship locations as well as locations on earth and compare the results. Speed tests provide ping, upload speed and download speed. Those three data points plus ships location and location on the ship should, with enough data points give people something to look at and see where the issues are, with the ship or elsewhere.

As I said words don't work but, numbers do. Won't be cruising for over 6 months so who wants to start perhaps a thread and post a spreadsheet with the data. Pointing fingers and making statements won't work but, data will.

Flossie, I agree with your observation in the first paragraph. My take is that if big clunky airlines can fly through the “atmospherics" I am sure little invisible data packets ought to be able to do the same. ;)

Here on CC, I am inspired by the fact that the internet is great (no problems whatsoever) and all the reasons it isn't great are out of Regent’s control. I'm comforted to know that maybe Regent was sold a bill of goods with its upgrade, and maybe Regent can’t afford to invest in fixing the internet service. I almost feel sorry for management because the reasons that the internet works poorly are out of their control (well, except for too many people being online because they gave everyone free internet). (I do occasionally wonder why ships several times the size of Regent can provide internet to guests though.)

I would be more comforted however, if management displayed some concern about their guests and their failing (or flailing) internet service by explaining what went awry, what is going on to fix it and whether their is a timetable to fix the problems. Having seen no explanation, I’m wondering if the communications division signed one of those non-disclosure agreements that seem to be so in the news lately?

I would not want to think that the communications division might be incompetent because that could lead to suspicions that the darned incompetence virus might have found its way into other divisions.

• 1 month later...

It just confounds me that some cruise lines, apparently now Oceania as well as Regent, are seemingly incapable of fixing this issue. And what’s so frustrating is that this is a far from impossible task. We just got back from a two week Abu Dhabi-Rome cruise on the Celebrity Constellation, where the internet worked perfectly. Browsing, emailing, downloading, no problem.

I get no satisfaction from learning that the Oceania land operations is as incompetent as their counterparts at Regent - maybe they are the same personnel!

It is more frustrating than anything. The update was mostly informational and to let Regent customers know the truth about Oceania's "new" Wi-Fi.