Ephesus Concern Excursion: Worth the Price?

CruiseCat99

I have 24 hours to decide if I want to pay $249pp for this Silversea exclusive Concert excursion in the ancient city of Ephesus. The description looks great, but it is very pricey, especially considering we have hired an archeologist to show us around the ancient city for 7 hours that same day. Thoughts from people who have taken this tour? It looks like one of those once in a lifetime experiences, but I just don't want to be disappointed.

Thanks!

Edited by CruiseCat99
Tried to edit the title: Should be CONCERT!

I don't remember how much we paid.

It was pretty amazing to be there at twilight and without the crowds. Yes I remember it well.

I don't recall the music. Perhaps you can look it up on YouTube. This is an event that is quite touristy.

Having said all that, I can send you photos.

If you have an archeologist to lead you around all day I expect you are going to have seen much and fought the crowds, dust and heat.

You may just be exhausted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have an archeologist to lead you around all day I expect you are going to have seen much and fought the crowds, dust and heat.

You may just be exhausted.

Bingo! I'd put the $500 toward something else.

It is a very unique experience. But if you do it you still need to do the earlier tour.

The earlier tour will allow you to see this incredible site.

The evening tour is more about listening to music in a setting that is very special.

As much as we enjoyed the evening concert if you already have a lot on your plate with tours in other places and given what they are charging I would pass on it.

Keith

Thanks for the replies. We are not giving up our earlier tour. We are still on the fence about the concert. It’s a shame it used to be free!!!

Since 2 tickets to a decent symphony in our town run about $150pp, we are thinking the setting and experience might be worth the cost.

Thanks for the replies. We are not giving up our earlier tour. We are still on the fence about the concert. It’s a shame it used to be free!!!

Since 2 tickets to a decent symphony in our town run about $150pp, we are thinking the setting and experience might be worth the cost.

A few years ago, when the concert was free, we fully intended on going. What happened was we had a fantastic privately arranged tour of Ephesus with an archeologist who was actually working at Ephesus. They picked us up in Kusadasi and the tour came off without a hitch and they got us back on schedule. Truth was that the thought of getting totally cleaned up and then another bus ride back to Ephesus really wasn’t that attractive so we stayed on the ship. Actually was a great evening as about 1/2 to 2/3 of the passengers went to the concert and the ship was quiet. Had a fantastic relaxing meal with our friends that night. Took another cruise a couple of years later and had planned on attending the concert. Unfortunately by then they had decided to start charging for the concert so we skipped it and took our second tour of Ephesus instead.

It is a nice to experience this at night too so as long as you are up for a long day do it.

It will make for a special day all the way around.

Ephesus is so unique because with each passing year there is more to see on those daytime tours. We've taken daytime tours three times and would go back again. Very different but I feel the same way about Petra which we have seen twice.

Keith

It is a nice to experience this at night too so as long as you are up for a long day do it.

It will make for a special day all the way around.

Ephesus is so unique because with each passing year there is more to see on those daytime tours. We've taken daytime tours three times and would go back again. Very different but I feel the same way about Petra which we have seen twice.

Keith

Agree totally about Ephesus. Wouldn’t hesitate a minute to visit there again even after three visits in five years. There is always sometime new being discovered or restored. Loved Petra and as much as I would like to visit again and explore more I have to say the walk back up hill to the entrance is a killer. We power walk maybe three miles a day at least three days a week and we both felt it coming out of Petra. Not a tour for folks with mobility issues.

I went to Ephesus in 1973 and I swear there were no more than a dozen people on the entire site. This was in the days before the library and other buildings were raised from the dead and perhaps embellished a little too much for my taste.

Last year we did the evening concert and it was in our opinion well worth it. A very special and memorable experience.

We did a morning private tour then back to the ship for a late lunch and siesta. By 5.30pm we were raring to go again.

I'd highly recommend it.

MM