Some Musings From a Newbie on Mariner TA

gjkov

gjkov, really enjoying your posts and snaps--thank you.

Recommend you speak to the Restaurant Manager about your gustatory dining experience in La Terraza last nite compared to the positive experience your enjoyed in LT a few nights earlier. Believe, Maria is the Restaurant Manager.

Recommend you speak to the Restaurant Manager about your gustatory dining experience in La Terraza last nite compared to the positive experience your enjoyed in LT a few nights earlier. Believe, Maria is the Restaurant Manager.

I recommend you talk to Donald instead of Maria. Daniel used to be Assistant F&B and would spend most of the evenings in Sette Mari helping out; I don't know if the new Assistant F&B is spending the same amount of time up there.

Marc

Your post made me laugh and not feel so bad about making a jet lagged post yesterday. As you know, La Terraza is on Silversea - think that you meant La Veranda.:D

Yes, my bad, thanks for the catch.

Hope gkgov does speak to either F&B or Rmgr to help get La Veranda dining issues they experienced sorted.

Thanks Wes. I will make a point of sharing our experience with one of the managers.

the service from our waiter was very slow and sub par. It took about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. Far too long in that venue by my thinking.

I totally agree with your thinking. Personally, I am normally happy for a slow paced evening meal, but I would have lost interest way before the 2 1/2hr point.

From our perspective, while we certainly haven't spoken to all 700 people on board, but have talked to quite a few. We have heard mostly about minor issues (safe not open, tv, some balconies not finished being painted). A few with no water for a very short time and someone with no shower curtain. Does this mean there were no more major issues? Certainly not. Just that mostly people have spoken about how quickly anything brought to the attention of management has been corrected.

From our perspective, while we certainly haven't spoken to all 700 people on board, but have talked to quite a few. We have heard mostly about minor issues (safe not open, tv, some balconies not finished being painted). A few with no water for a very short time and someone with no shower curtain. Does this mean there were no more major issues? Certainly not. Just that mostly people have spoken about how quickly anything brought to the attention of management has been corrected.

Thank you for giving your perspective on how the issues on the Mariner are being handled. Although it would have been better if everything was 100% finished when you boarded, it is good to know that the issues are being handled quickly.

Hoping that the seas calm down a bit. It may help to know that Mariner is the most stable ship in the fleet when it comes to handling rough seas.

It's a beautiful and much calmer day today, so perfect for enjoying a day at sea!

With all these nights gaining one hour, this naturally early riser was up early today. I walked a couple laps and decided to get to the laundry room when it opened. Another gentleman had the same idea and between the two of us we filled the three machines and had a delightful conversation. On subsequent trips back to the room to change from washer to dryer and then to fold, I met several more very nice people. At one point it was rather like a party in that little room!

We had a nice breakfast at the coffee connection between cycles, then Gene went to the lecture and I drank coffee and visited with new friends who happened by until time for the daily atrium game (darts today) and then bingo. Didn't win either, but had fun.

Then was off to lunch on the pool grill and Asian buffet.

In regard to Wifi, I don't know if they changed anything during the refit, but it's really been quite good. It's not as fast as at home, but I've had few problems with either speed or connectivity, no matter the time of day.

Lovely meal at Compass Rose.

Service has been inconsistent. Always with a smile and good attitude, but sometimes long wait to order and/or lapses between courses. But the food has been excellent at CR... breakfast, lunch or dinner!7b91f46df48337afe0dd59aefbf9db3a.jpg59a33b9ad8703998bb9c84cd5fb5fdd3.jpged1ff822a980846306c55d1181dff365.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Agree with Marc (aka Marq) 100%. Donald (F&B Director) is wonderful and will take care of any food/dining issues that you have much faster than anyone else on the ship. If you do speak with him, kindly send warmest regards from Dennis and Jackie. Thanks much!

Some random thoughts from the balcony overlooking the Bermudian harbor. The water is so amazingly blue and is sparkling in the sun. We got some photos from home where they have had about 10 inches of snow. So I’m grateful to be here!

Days at SeaWe wondered if we’d be bored with so many days at sea, but once we managed to get our sea legs we found plenty to do to occupy our time. Sometimes it was just sitting and enjoying a coffee or other beverage with new friends, or fun little games to win Regent points (and interact with the same group who met for these activities daily), or playing cards or walking around the deck (when weather was calm) or daily working on the Mensa quizzes and playing trivia. I also was the lucky bingo coverall winner two days!

I liked that a person could be busy, if desired, or just relax. I might prefer a future cruise with port days and seas more evenly distributed. But for this TA, it was great!

The Country Fair was a blast and we were fortunate to have a beautiful afternoon for it. Susan/Flossie’s photos of that were awesome and really captured the fun! And unlike her, the Captain’s number picking was good for me and I won a bag filled with Regent branded goodies.

Then of course were all the meals, tea times, etc. Sometimes it seemed we were always eating!

Dining

Our dining experiences were mixed. I spoke earlier about our not so great Setti Mari meal. We tried again a couple nights later and while our server was much better, the food was only a little better.

Where we consistently had the very best dinner meals were Compass Rose. Some thought meals in CR took too long, but since we generally were enjoying the company of our dinner companions, it didn’t bother us.

The best of my dinner choices;

Red Snapper with a Ginger Carrot Sauce and Red Beet Potatoes (so delicious!)

Broiled Cod (perfectly prepared) over sautéed spinach with Glazed Carrots

Tandoori Chicken with Jasmine Rice, Curried Cauliflower and Naan (with Samosas as an appetizer).

What Gene enjoyed most

Ribeye Steak

Porterhouse Steak

Filet Mignon

Beef Burgandy

Braised Beef Shortribs

Korean Grilled Flank Steak

Do you get the idea the man likes beef?!

For lunch we ate a couple times in CR, but really loved the food and ambiance at the Pool Grill. The various buffets were fun, but was also nice to be able to order something freshly grilled. The hot dogs and turkey burgers were especially good. And Gene loved the freshly made ice cream!

Breakfast was good both in Compass Rose and LaVeranda. We especially loved the nice selection of fruit that was available (and all day long). Made for healthy snacking. Oh okay, the cookies and other sweets were awfully good too

It will be a shame to have to return home and have to cook again. And have no one saying “Yes Madam” and “My Pleasure”.

Some of the staff might be new and still learning, but everyone has been so friendly, polite and always smiling. They all work so hard! We’ve gotten to know a bit about some we encounter regularly. And we’ve made some great new friends with some other passengers and been touched by interactions we’ve had.

One of the most humbling.....

There is a woman onboard for her last cruise. An air ambulance will be waiting in Miami to take her home and into hospice care. She’s in her 80’s and there’s nothing further that can be done for her treatment. Her doctor said she should go ahead and take this cruise as planned. She’s been nothing but cheerful each time I’ve seen her. She said she’s had a full life and been very blessed. I can’t help but believe my life is richer to have met her....

We’re taking our first Regent cruise in Nov so I’ve really enjoyed reading your post about your first cruise on Regent.

What a wonderful story about the woman taking her last cruise, it brought tears to my eyes. She sounds as if she was a lovely woman who is living her life to the fullest up to the end.

Rosemary

I also enjoyed reading every word of your review and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Mariner (and Regent). Thank you for taking the time to post during your cruise - it was much appreciated. Hope that you have the opportunity to sail on Explorer in the future - she is one amazing ship!

• 2 weeks later...
Very excited to follow your voyage! We are also Regent "newbies" and board Mariner in Nov. for 44 nights! As a veteran cruiser, 33 cruises, 26 on Royal Caribbean, I am very interested in your perception. Have a fantastic cruise!

We are also a Regent newbies and very much look forward to hearing your prosepective! Enjoy your cruise and thanks for taking us along!

Wendy

I have followed this Thread from time to time. Thanks for taking your time to provide comments.

As to the posting regarding the lady taking her last cruise; and responses which brought a few teary eyes to our CC folks, mine included:

Recall a saying, probably Irish: May you live your life so people cry when you enter; and cry when you depart.

Here is another which I have used at several memorial services for departed Army comrades, which is becoming all too-frequent:

Life is short and we do not have much time to be blessing to others.

So may we be quick to gladden the heart of those who travel the way with us.

May we be swift to love--

and make haste to be kind.

GOARMY!

I have followed this Thread from time to time. Thanks for taking your time to provide comments.

As to the posting regarding the lady taking her last cruise; and responses which brought a few teary eyes to our CC folks, mine included:

Recall a saying, probably Irish: May you live your life so people cry when you enter; and cry when you depart.

Here is another which I have used at several memorial services for departed Army comrades, which is becoming all too-frequent:

GOARMY!

Thanks for sharing those beautiful thoughts!

GOARMY!

Lovely sentiments!