Panama Canal questions

poss

We had a fascinating experience on the Mariner when transiting the canal - Since we had been up at 0500 to see the entire process we were tired and wanted an early dinner so went to the CR at about 1815. Got a window table. Saw the lock approach and then we were in the lock. Lovely close up views of the "mules" etc. Then the water started to go out and our window view became one of a streaming wet concrete wall!! Ship moved forwards and lo! Lovely views again. Process repeated at the second lock and had us in gales of laughter. All our planning gone to naught so to speak. Next time I will have dinner served in the Suite!

Sadly, Regent does not stop in the canal anymore.

They used to stop at the Gatun Yacht club in Gatun lake just outside of the locks and have a BBQ and local Embera people's perform a show. From there they had tours to go on to the Gatun locks and watch ships transit from the lock side. Also they had eco canoe tours to the lower Chagres River, below the Dam.

For me the funnest adventure was to go swimming in the canal itself from the "beach" area near the Yacht Club.

pg5qDKrP8ZVyhBXWHEJUZE0x5OGQhdI5Fk8Kx4pqg4Ten538ntGmSxYwiRoR2r2C6C__hQW-8eTtVjW2Ch0uKh7g3FFcfEPcsgIZQjzmk8SASX0bwL9cMLlkBDlaehYWKuB1BNRVMM-mHtp3tRUjqcpxpCEX5uklmd8vlY-aidPyerUsRElOKaHSLIJngsyocnJZiyvW_iytQFjhga-fqeTX1g94jCNGlvdTSeWkBsYaxH1lt2CNZQiYg_DFYxineMnPvMM5sBrGrEwhaDgWD1VCbIEbgEkFJDg1BiPSROX5EeafLWDoIIn09tT50QboI34h_cBKnK4_92UFbNNeMnC6HzdNWI_5VYMtnbhMP42vMM1ZYO7oh0MWbY63IbqXeKdFaxnqcHkE9r6Xh9ntNDQBOLXEQZsodr2sDwwIAGBmsGf6PZvcMTrjlVa_515Y-hr6N5zakHb8Qqgp9VcRattqfIiFKHDS9_GEJP5lrVtGrfLWe7CqZGZPqIUi9B4hG2cQKB5IK_MYo_qOP6Q-ZF07bKyzNdWfj_Z8-SivY9koVrUg250nS1AHsimiI-ZQwGSmf7pEjTKntmPTNGfCLAbAPr2x14ogFi-4hOo=w320-h240-no

Gatun Lake at Yacht Club. Mariner in background January 2, 2002

J

Hi Poss, We're also booked on the Splendor, March 2020 Panama Canal transit. This will be our third transit and we find it fascinating. As for the ports.....Grand Cayman has lots to offer, but, because we've been there so much, and it's a tender port, I probably would stay on the ship. Cartagena is a great port. We hired a taxi with our TA and did a quick highlight tour including a trip to an ultra modern shopping mall because Al needed to go to an Apple store. After the canal the first ports are interesting with lots of local color. I don't care for Mexico. We went to see the cliff divers, but then had to spend the next 2 hours touring the city and coastline and hearing about all the celebrities who have had homes there. In Cabo we took an excursion to a resort and had a wonderful day which included a delicious lunch. I have never been to Catalina and that should be fun. Needless to add, we would love to see you onboard! Editing to add we have never seen mosquitos which is very surprising to me.)

Edited by Anna B.
added comment

Hi Poss, We're also booked on the Splendor, March 2020 Panama Canal transit. This will be our third transit and we find it fascinating. As for the ports.....Grand Cayman has lots to offer, but, because we've been there so much, and it's a tender port, I probably would stay on the ship. Cartagena is a great port. We hired a taxi with our TA and did a quick highlight tour including a trip to an ultra modern shopping mall because Al needed to go to an Apple store. After the canal the first ports are interesting with lots of local color. I don't care for Mexico. We went to see the cliff divers, but then had to spend the next 2 hours touring the city and coastline and hearing about all the celebrities who have had homes there. In Cabo we took an excursion to a resort and had a wonderful day which included a delicious lunch. I have never been to Catalina and that should be fun. Needless to add, we would love to see you onboard! Editing to add we have never seen mosquitos which is very surprising to me.)

Kathy, crossing my fingers that you are on the LA to MIA transit. That is going to be one great cruise (people and the ship).

We have done one Panama Canal cruise - enjoyed it but felt that once was enough. When we booked the Explorer cruise (now the Splendor cruise), it was almost a place holder for us. We liked the fact that it was local, was priced well and on a ship that we love. Now we are thrilled that we booked it and are hoping to see you and Al onboard (as well as many others that we have sailed with previously).

The reason that Ken and I are on the Splendor LA/Miami with the rest of you in 2020 is that our first Panama Canal cruise was the best we have ever taken - especially in terms of learning new things! We loved it. Anna - I am delighted to learn that Cartagena is as interesting as I thought it might be. Are you on the Roll call??

We are also on Splenour LA to Miami; it will be our second Canal transit. Our first transit was Voyager's first transit New Year's Eve day 2003. Poor planning as Gatun locks at 6am along with stop in Gatun Lake; through the Miraflores locks at dinner time and then New Year's Eve Formal Ball on Pool Deck at midnight watching the fireworks from Panama City. Way too long of a day; Radisson/Regent learned and has not made the transit on New Year's Eve again.

See everyone in a couple of years!

Marc

Tom and I are also on this cruise too....love that there's no international flights. This will be our 4th transit through the Panama Canal but it never ceases to amaze me. I couldn't find the roll call ....none for Splendor yet ??

Edited by petlover

Hambagahle: I agree. The canal and it's history are wonderful. I enjoyed the commentary on our last transit so much.

Marc: We did our 1st transit on New Years Day as well, but a few years later. What a coincidence! A fascinating day followed by a formal black and white dinner. I guess those days are long gone.

Marcie: You must know how excited I will be to do this cruise again with you and Tom. This time you should take a taxi with us in Cartagena ;)

Poss: I really, really hope you'll join us and this time I will get you to tell me what POSS means- haha!

I'm going to look for that roll call now......

Poss, so sorry to have hijacked the thread earlier! We're also on the March 2020 LA to Miami cruise, its our second time crossing the Canal, first time was back in 1987 on a Princess ship. The day spent crossing the canal its so interesting. Of the ports being offered Acapulco doesnt excite me. Ive been to Acapulco numerous times, used to be a great place. Now its a dangerous place, frankly I'm surprised Regent keeps stopping there. I'll probably stay in the ship that day.

Hope you consider booking this cruise, would love to meet you!

Hi cruiseluv, Truly, I was serious when I said I didn't mind the "hijacking" one bit. It's fun to see the familiar names. People are always such help; I enjoy reading the back and forth even if the discussions aren't exactly on target. Would love to meet you, too! (Though we've become fairly non-social beings, alas.)

Hi cruiseluv, Truly, I was serious when I said I didn't mind the "hijacking" one bit. It's fun to see the familiar names. People are always such help; I enjoy reading the back and forth even if the discussions aren't exactly on target. Would love to meet you, too! (Though we've become fairly non-social beings, alas.)

Thanks Poss, just for a brief hello!

poss, are you considering this cruise? It would seem to meet your requirements (not far, etc.). Dennis and I are fairly unsocial as well but do enjoy our cruises. We did spend some time with a couple on our last cruise which was nice and we have made a few friends along the way (Kathy and Al are certainly among them - wonderful people!).

Hope that you will think about it (but not for too long as this is selling fast).

We have been through the Canal twice, but not on Regent. I particularly like visiting Cartagena's Old Town. It makes for a lot of good photos. I don't remember the port we stopped at in Costa Rica, but we had a good time sight seeing as it is a beautiful country. I agree that most of the other ports are meh. But even the worst cruises are good.

Poss, we loved our canal trip. Ports weren't typical, since it was Miami to Lima, but I'll tell you what I can.

The canal was completely fascinating to us, a great day, especially with Terry Breen onboard to do commentary--try to get a sailing that she's doing. Panama itself, however, is very hot, at least it was in January. Not sure if it varies much since it's right on the equator, although there's probably a rainy season.

We quite liked Cartagena--did a tour of the historic centre, and it's very pretty, although again very hot. That's probably the only port that's relevant. I agree some of the ports look fairly "meh". I don't understand why Regent would be stopping at Acapulco with all the bad press they're getting recently.

We did the transit north to south, i.e., "east to west" as it were. Just FYI, you see very little of the "new" canal, other than some Super Max freighters going through it in the distance.

Thanks for the roll call link Fred. It will be great seeing you and Pat again.

Kathy, I promise I will NOT repeat my experience as last time we were in Cartagena LOL. I'm so happy you and Al will be with us again😜 you too Rachel and George.

I agree with others Poss, I think this cruise would fit the bill for you.

We go on cruises to be social and have met many lovely people on Regent. Cruising is a great opportunity to meet new and interesting people. Who wants to be on vacation with a bunch of stick in the muds. Just kidding.

I like being a stick in the mud:halo:. Actually, we enjoy the crew on our Regent cruises - they have become our extended family. Yes - there are many lovely people that sail on Regent but we generally find the crew more interesting. After all, passengers like ourselves travel the world which is a blessing but the crew leave their homes/families for months at a time in order to make a better life for them. Their stories, past/present/future are amazing.