Silversea to Offer Unlimited Wi-Fi to All Passengers

LauraS

One downside of the new Wifi system is that the PressReader newspapers have disappeared, and no one knows if it's a glitch or they have been removed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apparently when the new wifi system was installed in February no one thought to make sure the PressReader server was still functioning. So a week after getting on the Wind I have finally got the system reset and working again. No one noticed, no guests even knew about it and the IT officer on here is too thick to do anything mildly complicated.

No one noticed, no guests even knew about it and the IT officer on here is too thick to do anything mildly complicated.

I too had very disappointing experiences with IT officer on another ship. Among other challenges was the IT officer's English language challenges.

I received two different emails from SS on 29th March:

• Guests booked in standard suites can enjoy Unlimited Standard internet access for up to 1 simultaneous device per guest.
  • Guests staying in Silver Suites and above enjoy Unlimited Premium internet access for up to 2 simultaneous devices per guest.

And now during your voyage you’ll be plugged into the world around you — and beyond. Starting 1 April 2018, Silversea will offer free unlimited WiFi access to every suite on board all of our intimate, ultra-luxury ships. You’ll enjoy Unlimited Standard internet access for up to 2 simultaneous devices per guest. Or upgrade to Unlimited Premium access for only $29 per day, including 4 simultaneous devices per guest. Full voyage discount packages are also available, with prices varying based on voyage length.

Shambolic as usual. Some weeks ago I asked what the service was and received no reply.

Hi, Can you tell me roughly what average download and upload speeds should be expected using Premium wifi and what are the guaranteed minimum speeds for the Premium service please?

Somewhat surprised that an all inclusive top echelon line has taken so long to include full WiFi. Considering Silver Muse Alaska Aug 2019, so hopefully all the access point upgrades & bandwidth stuff to accommodate increased traffic will be squared away by then. Not looking to be a bandwidth hog uploading days photos, etc. Just downloading texts, internet news sites , emails.

Somewhat surprised that an all inclusive top echelon line has taken so long to include full WiFi. Considering Silver Muse Alaska Aug 2019, so hopefully all the access point upgrades & bandwidth stuff to accommodate increased traffic will be squared away by then. Not looking to be a bandwidth hog uploading days photos, etc. Just downloading texts, internet news sites , emails.

Don't worry, the WiFi on the Muse worked very well, I used it for the very things you list and had no issue. In fact I was surprised at how fast it is and the fact I encountered no dead spots on the ship. The only issue you might have is the fact I was in the Caribbean while you intend to sail Alaska. The satellite coverage may be less that far North.

You can buy a upgrade that allows more than one device at a time however the included package just allowed one. I know this because when I wanted to use my device the service always kicked my wife off and I had to restart her when I was done.

To get 1 device each person, create a different account. If you share the same account, then it will kick the other person off when you start up your device.

I noticed that too. Anyone successfully logged-on simultaneously on 2 devices?

Yes.

On the first few days on the Shadow 3 weeks ago, we definitely could only get one connection and if one of us connected, the other got kicked. The last few days (bare in mind this was just a days before the this was meant to even be rolled out), we were both available to be on at the same time. I know for a fact this was happening as I would send some photos in whatsapp to my wife and the "ping" she'd received them was heard straight after. Panicked me as I though she must have taken Airplane more off and was on 4G. We both had seperate personal SS log ins

Generally the speeds were not bad and fine for emails and browsing.... it was also capable of voice streaming on Whatsapp.

To get 1 device each person, create a different account. If you share the same account, then it will kick the other person off when you start up your device.

That sounds like a great plan although when you make the account it asked for the cabin number first it think. We are going on the Spirit soon so will give it a try.

Maxed out at 2.53 Mbps this morning on an almost empty ship.

The bandwidth they pay for is actually shared between all the ships rather than per ship. At least that was what got explained on the Wind last April when the speeds were really good and fast enough I could actually stream video for a short period. They were just testing at the time though and that unlimited connection and fast speeds were lost into the next cruise and I remember the reports saying it was dire.

I must confess I never did a Speedtest on the Shadow....but connections were certainly better in some locations than in others.

That sounds like a great plan although when you make the account it asked for the cabin number first it think. We are going on the Spirit soon so will give it a try.

You can use the same cabin number, and I think they ask for your name. I just had my wife use her name and it created an account for her that was different from mine.

Although I cruise solo so don't know for sure, I have always been of the understanding that it is one account/log in/device per person, not per cabin

That has been my experience too... ie each individual was able to log in regardless of what anyone else sharing was doing.

Last month on the Shadow that did change initially and if I logged in, my wife would be kicked off. However after a few days we could both log in simultaneously. Actually on reflection, that may have commenced on 1st April when the new unlimited access officially kicked in.

On the Muse. Two people may access the internet simultaneously as long as they each create an account with a login name, suite number, password, and date of birth. However, you can't log in with two different devices using the same account. They say press reader is available as long as you have internet access. That's true anywhere.

On the Muse. Two people may access the internet simultaneously as long as they each create an account with a login name, suite number, password, and date of birth. However, you can't log in with two different devices using the same account. They say press reader is available as long as you have internet access. That's true anywhere.

That is correct for Standard access, however for Premium you can have two devices logged into the same account simultaneously. Along with the new WiFi system anyone with 350+ days gets complimentary Premium.

Sent from my iPad using Forums