New GDPR laws- It could affect your loyalty points and booking.

Thejuggler

It’s about data not charities. To maintain their records, for the Peninsular club, for example they have to keep records. You now have to agree to them doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did my training recently re the new regulations. Have to say I knew that it was all mindblowing but this really confuses me. I thought that itwas to help the consumer ... I can see this back firing and I do think that charities will suffer as well.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

It’s about data not charities. To maintain their records, for the Peninsular club, for example they have to keep records. You now have to agree to them doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Strangely not had any requests from my bank asking for consent to keep my data . Or John Lewis or boots or Tesco with who I have loyalty accounts ! As has previously been said many highly skilled professionals are still only guessing at what’s required in the new GDPR and clearly companies are jumping in and playing it safe by asking everyone to consent to everything ! My question again is how can I consent to being part of the loyalty scheme but not all the marketing junk!

Strangely not had any requests from my bank asking for consent to keep my data . Or John Lewis or boots or Tesco with who I have loyalty accounts ! As has previously been said many highly skilled professionals are still only guessing at what’s required in the new GDPR and clearly companies are jumping in and playing it safe by asking everyone to consent to everything ! My question again is how can I consent to being part of the loyalty scheme but not all the marketing junk!

Thinking about it it will do us a favour as it will mean less junk mail from the likes of Regent and Oceania who keep sending us information for lovely cruises that we don't stand a chance of booking !! We've not heard anything from P&O though about them keeping our information but heard from Princess last week. Not heard from Celebrity either though.

As we will be away when the final date arrive i emailed the Peninsular Club yesterday and got a reply this morning!!!

Please be advised that you will remain a member of the Peninsular club.

The e-mails were triggered to those who had chosen certain restrictions on their accounts, in terms of contact methods from us, but many, like yourself, remain as you were and thus your Peninsular club status remains.

Thank you for emailing us at the P&O Cruises Peninsular Club.

Kind regards,

As we will be away when the final date arrive i emailed the Peninsular Club yesterday and got a reply this morning!!!

The e-mails were triggered to those who had chosen certain restrictions on their accounts, in terms of contact methods from us, but many, like yourself, remain as you were and thus your Peninsular club status remains.

Kind regards,

That's good to hear.

I updated our Princess and P&O loyalty accounts this morning anyway.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Kind regards,

Thanks for posting the reply, you are lucky as I wrote to them mid week and have had nothing back so far.

Had nothing from Princess either but did it on line.

Celebrity wrote to use yesterday but nothing from RCI, Fred, Disney, Cunard etc etc so far re their clubs.

Having read this thread and also a similar one on Princess I attempted to login and ensure we would keep our status. However, because we live outside the UK (Ireland) it would not allow us to do so.

As a result I have had to telephone both P&O & Princess and this has had to be done manually by the member of staff.

This is just for the information of any other person who has a similar problem

We also received a letter from Holland America this morning asking us to provide our consent to hear from them. We have sailed with them once but it was approx 3 years ago. Interestingly there is also another section on the form for both of us to complete which says the following:

I would like to receive communications from Holland America Line's worldwide family of cruise lines, including P&O Cruises UK, Cunard, Carnival, Aida, Costa Crociere, P&O Cruises Australia, Princess Cruises and Seabourn.

We have also sailed with Cunard as well as P&O UK in the past. Wonder if we will hear anything from Celebrity or Fred Olsen as we have also sailed with them. It must be a nightmare for the cruise lines!!!

Filled in the form and sent it back.

Kind regards,

Glad you got a reply from p&o although it doesn't really answer the point others are making that they have to ask consent to keep you data, they haven't asked your consent merely told you why you haven't been contacted. All sounds like these companies don't really know what the rules are

Glad you got a reply from p&o although it doesn't really answer the point others are making that they have to ask consent to keep you data, they haven't asked your consent merely told you why you haven't been contacted. All sounds like these companies don't really know what the rules are

GDPR does not require companies to seek consent to hold your data. It relates to what they do with that data. Companies do not always need consent to contact people on their database as long as they have a legitimate interest to do so. To go back to the original question, nobody will lose their Peninsular club status due to GDPR.

(y)

GDPR does not require companies to seek consent to hold your data. It relates to what they do with that data. Companies do not always need consent to contact people on their database as long as they have a legitimate interest to do so. To go back to the original question, nobody will lose their Peninsular club status due to GDPR.

We’ve both had an email from Princess but nothing at all from P&O.

How do we ensure that we don’t lose our current past guest loyalty tier level? Do we have to do something online or do we have to ring or email P&O?

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had nothing from Princess or Pando either so I contacted them both saying we wished to maintain our loyalty scheme membership.

Princess came back within a couple of days and it was resolved, we had an issue with the login otherwise we could have done it on line.

Pando were slower to reply and rather than resolve it there and then I got a short email saying they “We are still currently emailing all members regarding this, you should receive an email very soon.

To date we have still had nothing from them. I also asked if it was available to do on line but there was nothing about that in the reply.

We have had the GDPR email from some companies like Celebrity for example but not from others so the whole thing seems to be a bit inconsistent.

How do we ensure that we don’t lose our current past guest loyalty tier level? Do we have to do something online or do we have to ring or email P&O?

Thanks for any advice.

I have just done mine online. I went to my account but it doesn't exist so you need to register again.It was easy enough to do. Don't forget to do it for everyone in your family .

Thanks for any advice.

I’ve answered this question a few times now, but nobody will lose their loyalty tier status as a result of GDPR changes. It’s a shame that this thread was even started as it’s a complete red herring and caused unnecessary concern.

GDPR primarily relates to an organisations ability to contact you for marketing purposes. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your loyalty status. Even if you never heard from P&O about marketing preferences or if you did but elected to opt out of marketing communications, all it would affect is the amount of marketing blurb you receive.

A persons loyalty status is determined solely by their number of cruise nights and is entirely unrelated to anything to do with GDPR.

GDPR is unfortunately very complex and although being implemented for the right reasons has been completely misunderstood by most people and caused unnecessary concern, as this thread has proved.

I’ve answered this question a few times now, but nobody will lose their loyalty tier status as a result of GDPR changes. It’s a shame that this thread was even started as it’s a complete red herring and caused unnecessary concern.

GDPR primarily relates to an organisations ability to contact you for marketing purposes. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your loyalty status. Even if you never heard from P&O about marketing preferences or if you did but elected to opt out of marketing communications, all it would affect is the amount of marketing blurb you receive.

A persons loyalty status is determined solely by their number of cruise nights and is entirely unrelated to anything to do with GDPR.

GDPR is unfortunately very complex and although being implemented for the right reasons has been completely misunderstood by most people and caused unnecessary concern, as this thread has proved.

I would have agreed with you entirely based on the legitimate interest clause in GDPR but for the trite reply I received form pando. See above.

If they are choosing consent as a route, which they clearly are though goodness knows why as it is not necessary for a loyalty scheme, they have contacted some pax but not others then people could have their status wiped out erroneously.

Though the number of nights determines loyalty as you say, they have clearly tied access to contact details and marketing in with it which has muddled the waters.

I would have agreed with you entirely based on the legitimate interest clause in GDPR but for the trite reply I received form pando. See above.

If they are choosing consent as a route, which they clearly are though goodness knows why as it is not necessary for a loyalty scheme, they have contacted some pax but not others then people could have their status wiped out erroneously.

Though the number of nights determines loyalty as you say, they have clearly tied access to contact details and marketing in with it which has muddled the waters.

The answer they gave you seems to refer to GDPR in general. I maintain that somebodies loyalty status is entirely unrelated and has no relevance to GDPR whatsoever. Nobody will lose their loyalty status. It is not conditional upon P&O being able to mail someone for marketing. Two entirely different and completely unrelated issues are being muddled in this thread.

The answer they gave you seems to refer to GDPR in general. I maintain that somebodies loyalty status is entirely unrelated and has no relevance to GDPR whatsoever. Nobody will lose their loyalty status. It is not conditional upon P&O being able to mail someone for marketing. Two entirely different and completely unrelated issues are being muddled in this thread.

No not by this thread, by Pando. I was very clear about what I asked them as I am aware of the conditions that apply to each different element. I don’t think that their customer services staff have a clue which is the problem.

Not by this thread at all and I take exception to comments about it being "Red Herring".

The info I supplied wasn't from a third party, or hearsay from something I heard down the pub. It was directly from an official document provided by a cruise company and required a response. Info which may be useful to others.

It may be the case that the organisations are conflating GDPR and loyalty points, but when Princess state in print that failure to return to opt in WILL affect your loyalty status with Princess it is hardly 'fake news' and goes against what others are assuming that it won't without evidence.

However as the paperwork also stated the return of the Princess paperwork gives your permission to be contacted by all the Carnival owned companies, which includes P&O and Cunard.

At the end of the day its the return of a form. Ours actually went in the bin as we had so few Princess points they weren't worth bothering with, so I'll see if our points are affected in summer.

I have just done mine online. I went to my account but it doesn't exist so you need to register again.It was easy enough to do. Don't forget to do it for everyone in your family .

That's very odd. When I set my marketing preferences online a day or two ago after reading this thread, my account definitely still existed. All I had to go was login with my email address and give my password, and then set my marketing preferences.

No not by this thread, by Pando. I was very clear about what I asked them as I am aware of the conditions that apply to each different element. I don’t think that their customer services staff have a clue which is the problem.

I agree with you that they probably haven’t got a clue. Even those of us who have had to be immersed in all this GDPR stuff ‘from the other side’ for the last year or so have struggled at times to gain clarity. All I am trying to do is reassure those who read these things and panic that they might loose their P&O loyalty points, because they won’t. Can’t speak for Princess as I know nothing about them, but this thread relates to P&O. I suspect that companies like Princess are dangling things that benefit customers as encouragement to opt in (which benefits the company). I have seen other companies do similar things. Very naughty approach because that is completely untrue and is using GDPR for reasons that it was not intended.