Is Acapulco safe?

shuguley

My wife and I are booked on a cruise at a future date that will stop in Acapulco. Acapulco has been in the news so much lately due to violent crime that I really wonder if it safe. For that matter, I am wondering about any stops in Mexico.

Just wondering if some of you who have been on a Regent cruise recently that went to Mexican ports if you felt safe on shore excursions?

My wife and I are booked on a cruise at a future date that will stop in Acapulco. Acapulco has been in the news so much lately due to violent crime that I really wonder if it safe. For that matter, I am wondering about any stops in Mexico.

Just wondering if some of you who have been on a Regent cruise recently that went to Mexican ports if you felt safe on shore excursions?

We called in Acapulco last year on Explorer and we had no particular security issues. We took the tour which included the cliff divers and enjoyed our time there.

We also stopped in Acapulco during an Explorer MIA to LA cruise in January 2017. We worried about a stop there; however we had a delightful day (the cliff divers including a 14 yr-old girl were fantastic). Others who went to a famous hotel outing raved about that excursion. The sail-in is beautiful. Definitely was a Security presence but we didn't feel any threats and the people looked happy enjoying a very nice sunny Sunday.

In Cabo, the biggest danger is being run over by tourists!

I agree about Acapulco, you just need to be alert and know your surroundings. We just had friends come back with no problems, had a great trip they said. We're leaving on a cruise in a few days that will stop in Acapulco, not worried but will be careful.

Haven’t been to Acapulco since spring break my senior year in high school in the 70s (what was my mother thinking!?), but we were in several other Mexican ports last year—Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo— and I never felt unsafe.

If you think you can dodge flying bullets between two members of the cartel, maybe you could call it safe.

Also, several tours have been hijacked and the tourists robbed.

We were also on that cruise, but we didn't get off in Acapulco.

You take your chances. My housekeeper doesn't even feel safe there and she is Hispanic.

Our first visit to Acapulco will be next year. Unless things change, we will get off of the ship. The police and/or military presence is strong there and I do not believe that ships would stop there if the danger were that high. After all, Puerto Vallarta was removed from cruising itineraries until they were able to control crime so I assume that the same is true in Acapulco.

I was just in Acapulco 2 weeks ago. It was very calm, didn’t hear a thing while I was there (5 days). There was police presence as usual. If you are getting off I suggest you go to La Isla. It is a shopping mall which is in the newer zone of Acapulco (Diamante).

Some (including Regent) may believe Acapulco is safe, but the U.S. State department has issued a travel advisory classifying Geurrero, the Mexican state in which Acapulco is located, as a "do not travel state". Similarly, the Canadian government has warned to avoid non-essential travel to Acapulco. It's fun to see the cliff divers once, but having done that, I'll make the Acapulco stop another sea day when next cruising there.

We love Mexico (and their amazing margaritas) and are willing to take our chances. From the time I was 18 years old, we drove to Tijuana for drinks ...... then to have our VW Bugs reupholstered when we were in our 20's. While Tijuana is no longer safe (and I would not go there), we still enjoy the food and culture of Mexico. In addition to Acapulco, we are looking forward to our port stop in Cabo as we have yet to visit this city.

People have different feelings about going places that can be unsafe and there is nothing wrong with that. We are careful but try not to let this keep us away from places that we will likely enjoy.

I agree, Jackie. I would not just go wandering off on my own in Acapulco these days, but I think it is worth a visit.

We all have our own level of comfort. There was an article published a couple of years ago about the really dangerous areas in Tulsa where those from out of town should not go. I go to a couple of those areas regularly. I wouldn’t walk on the street there alone at night, but I don’t feel terribly unsafe in my car or during the day.

Ut oh.....

So very sorry to report this, but a body just washed up on a tourist beach.....

But the good news (??!!) is that they caught the murderer. It was a disagreement between two fishermen over a drug deal....what else?!!!

Kind of interesting that the only ships visiting Acapulco this year are NCLH ships with one exception ....... Crystal! http://www.cleancruising.com.au/port.asp?port=MXACA

Upon further research, this article shows more ships going there ....... http://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/acapulco-port-493

and the following development is in progress:

The investments in planned new developments and improvements (cruise port, airport, old historic districts) in Acapulco for the period 2017-2022 exceeded USD 1 billion. Among the projects were:

• Intense Emotion (space adventure attraction with suspension bridges, extreme rides, restaurant, world’s highest climbing wall / 40 m / 130 ft)
  • major hotel renovations (including Pierre Mundo Imperial, Princess Mundo Imperial)
  • new Princess Medical Center (sized 4,645 m2 / 50,000 ft2)
  • new tennis stadium, new eco-amusement park
  • In 2017 was inaugurated the XTASEA zip-line (world’s largest oversea zipline).
  • In 2018 was opened a new airport terminal.
  • City's infrastructure Improvements included several beautification projects.

Edited by Travelcat2

I agree, Jackie. I would not just go wandering off on my own in Acapulco these days, but I think it is worth a visit.

We all have our own level of comfort. There was an article published a couple of years ago about the really dangerous areas in Tulsa where those from out of town should not go. I go to a couple of those areas regularly. I wouldn’t walk on the street there alone at night, but I don’t feel terribly unsafe in my car or during the day.

We had a timeshare and had no problems. You might want to read some comments on Trip Advisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150787-i177-k11202644-How_dangerous_is_Acapulco-Acapulco_Pacific_Coast.html

The reality is over the past several years this port along with some selected Mexican ports find its way onto itineraries only to be removed when issues occur.

Yes, things can happen anywhere in the world including most towns and cities that we all live in.

I am always reminded though that we as tourists sometimes take things for granted and also can be targets as we do stick out as tourists.

If this was me I would make the decision as to whether or not to get off the ship as the cruise nears. In fact, its possible that the decision will be made for you because if things do go wrong then the port could be dropped at the last minute and that has happened before with this port and along with a few selected ports in Mexico and around the world. If I had concerns based on the latest information and the port was still on the itinerary I might not get off a ship but if the environment at that point in time was markedly improved then I would. Some places do change rapidly depending various factors which has been in the case for Mexico.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

As of last month, the State Department had increased caution warnings which isn't as bad as what was released this month about Nicaragua which is "reconsider travel". As some of you know, Regent did cancel the Mariner's stop there. So for those of you that worry about certain port stops, be assured that Regent (and the U.S. government) has it covered (not saying that something could not happen -- anywhere in the world).