Drone/quadcopter in Alaska

Motegi

Good afternoon fellow Cruise Critic Photographers! I was wondering if anyone has taken their drone/quadcopter for aerial photography to Alaska?

I've had great success with my DJI Mavic Pro last year in Hawaii and my DJI Mavic Air in the Bahamas.

So now I was thinking of taking my Mavic Air on the Bliss in June to capture some of the scenery.

However, I wasn't sure if the excursion seaplanes take off nearby the ships and if that means that drone flight is prohibited.

Below is a list of prohibited items from the Princess web site. The section concerning "drones" is in red so that you don't have to dig through the list.

Most of the ports that you would go to do have heavy airplane traffic, so I would imagine that using a drone in those areas might be frowned on.

I would suggest that you call your cruise line on this matter as they may have a different policy than Princess. Good luck with your quest.

This is a "cut and paste" from the Princess web "Prohibited Items page".

Guests are advised not to bring any prohibited items to the ship. Prohibited items will not be allowed or stored onboard the vessel with no exceptions. Guests are fully responsible for either storing these items ashore or disposing of them prior to embarkation.

The following items must not be allowed on board without valid lawful reason:

• All firearms including non-firing weapons. An exception to this rule are law enforcement agents acting in an official capacity and certified armed security guards acting in an official capacity (with full permission of the ship’s Master).
  • All forms of ammunition, explosive materials and propellants, projectiles of all kinds, cartridges.
  • All imitation or replica weapons including de-commissioned weapons, those not capable of being fired and realistic imitation/toy weapons.
  • Air/Pellet guns or any other variety of projectile firing weapon.
  • All explosives and explosive device components including but not limited to military, civilian and safety devices, detonators, detonation cords, blasting caps, smoke cartridges, grenades, mines, imitation explosives/devices.
  • Fireworks, Flares and Pyrotechnics
  • Knives with a blade over 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches) or ½ inch at widest point. This includes bladed weapons, sharp pointed weapons, daggers, sabers, swords, axes, ice axes, hatchets, straight razors (shaving safety razors are allowed), razor blades not in a cartridge, box cutters, ice picks, meat cleavers and utility knives.
  • Concealed bladed weapons such as belt buckles knives, cane and umbrella knives/swords, pen knives and credit card knives.
  • Recreational Diver’s Knives unless accompanied by other diving/snorkeling equipment and a valid diving ID card/license (must be held in the custody of the Security Officer). Dive knives may be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.
  • Diver’s spears and spear guns/slings.
  • Ceremonial knives/swords as well as entertainment props are at times permitted with prior notification from the Fleet Security Department (must be held on-board in the same manner as dive knives).
  • Flick knives, gravity knives, switchblades or lock knives. Small locking pocket knives with blade lengths less than 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches) and widths ½ inch or less are allowed.
  • Scissors with blades longer than 4 inches.
  • Telescopic or regular truncheons/batons/clubs/coshes/nightsticks/billy clubs/blow pipes/ASPs and or any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon.
  • Archery equipment including crossbows and bolts.
  • Catapults
  • Martial Arts Equipment including flails, throwing stars, nunchakus/nunchucks, kubatons, bostaff, etc.
  • Knuckle Dusters, brass knuckles, or any other item constructed for use as a weapon in hand-to-hand combat.
  • Stun Guns, Tasers or any other electroshock device.
  • Handcuffs
  • Items containing Incapacitating Substances such as gas guns, tear gas sprays, pepper/mace cartridges, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable.
  • Flammable Liquids and hazardous chemicals/substances including gasoline/petrol, cooking fuel, acid, spill able batteries (except those in wheelchairs), phosphorous, oil, lighter fluid (common lighters are permitted), methylated spirits, paint thinners, acid, turpentine, spray paint, chlorine, bleach, spray paint and any other dangerous chemicals that could burn, maim, incapacitate or disable.
  • Compressed gas bottles/cylinders including propane tanks and aerosol cans (except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities). Dive Tanks are not permitted, empty or full. Medical gas bottles are allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to the Purser’s Office and stored in a designated safe area. Oxygen cylinders are not x-rayed.
  • Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote controlled aerial devices/toys.
  • Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as a weapon.
  • Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.
  • Alcohol in violation of the company alcohol policy.
  • All illegal drugs, including medications without proper prescriptions. This includes legal intoxicant synthetic or “designer” drugs also known as “Legal Highs” such as Lysergamides, Opioids, Methoxetamine, Synthetic Cannabis, Betel Nuts or Kava (Cava).
  • Medical Marijuana
  • Poisons
  • Noxious Items
  • Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, and skateboards.
  • Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Ham radios, transformers, lasers, laser pointers, electric extension cords with surge protectors*.
  • Bicycles
  • Tools of trade/hobby including any type of hand or power tool. This includes hammers, drills, drill bits, crow bars, saws, power saws, chef/cooking knives/utensils, tools greater than 7 inches in length such as screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers (unless prior authorization is provided by Corporate Headquarters and strict controls are maintained on-board).
  • Surfboards – (Boogie boards no longer than 42 inches in length are allowed).
  • Coolers - only coolers approximately 12 x 12 x 12 in size (holds 6-12 cans of non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed. Guests carrying larger sizes will be directed to return them to their vehicle. If the guest is without a vehicle, the cooler will be destroyed in the same manner as other prohibited items. Exception: if the cooler is larger and contains baby food/formula, kosher food/special diet food or medication - these must be hand-carried. Coolers cannot be accepted as checked baggage.
  • Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility), boats/canoes/kayaks, Segways, Heely Shoes, Hoverboards/self-balancing scooters.
  • The above list is not exhaustive. The Ship Security Officer and Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered.
  • *Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.
  • As our guest, please follow the above precautions while traveling on any of our ships, and if possible, please refrain from taking these devices with you on board.

I know that most cruise lines prohibit drone/quad/UAV use when onboard or while at sea. On MSC, NCL, and Carnival I’ve been able to bring them aboard and only fly them when on land in port.

On MSC I was initially asked to check it in to security and have it released each time when disembarking at port. But then security changed their mind and just asked that I keep it locked in the cabin when at sea.

My Mavics are both registered with the FAA and I want to make sure that I don’t violate any airspace restrictions while in Alaska.

Motegi, did you get permission prior to embarkation for the drone? I was under the impression they would confiscate it at check in. I am cruising Hawaii in Feb on NCL and really wanted to take my drone but decided not to because of the restrictions. I am fine having it locked up while on board if that is what is required.

Motegi, did you get permission prior to embarkation for the drone? I was under the impression they would confiscate it at check in. I am cruising Hawaii in Feb on NCL and really wanted to take my drone but decided not to because of the restrictions. I am fine having it locked up while on board if that is what is required.

From my experience with the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro I’ve only had security question me once. And in that situation they just asked me to keep it in my cabin and not use it onboard. Otherwise I’ve had no issues taking it off the ship on port days.

In foreign ports I have obtained local government authorization from each country prior to the cruise. I bring all of those printed authorization letters as well as my FAA UAV registrations onboard.

The best footage I’ve been able to get so far was in Hawaii.

From my experience with the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro I’ve only had security question me once. And in that situation they just asked me to keep it in my cabin and not use it onboard. Otherwise I’ve had no issues taking it off the ship on port days.

In foreign ports I have obtained local government authorization from each country prior to the cruise. I bring all of those printed authorization letters as well as my FAA UAV registrations onboard.

The best footage I’ve been able to get so far was in Hawaii.

Good to know. I also have my FAA UAV registrations. I have two, one for hobby and one for commercial drone use. I don't have a mavic yet though. I have the Autel Robotics drone. Not quite as compact as the Mavic.